AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Aperture Review Analog Corner by Michael Fremer (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46111)

Masterlu 06-26-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 970416)
Unless you can get "art" on the panels there is no way I am placing black panels on my walls. Life's too short to have to look at that for several hours per day.

They Make them with art as well.

Still-One 06-26-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970422)
They Make them with art as well.

:thumbsup:

tima 06-27-2019 02:11 AM

I vaguely recall they use a dye sublimation process. You can have virtually any image you want on a panel. They also offer canned images.

jazzluvva 07-07-2019 12:32 AM

Seems like an appropriate place to ask this, given that I know some here have direct experience of using the Apertures.
After another prolonged period of ill health, my energy /enthusiasm has returned to almost normal. I have remodelled my room a bit and have changed almost my entire system. Previously I had a full swag of REAL TRAPS in there. But ( and I have no data to support this), I have a nagging feeling that the room is over damped. As part of a new beginning , I am open to the idea of changing my acoustic approach.
The rear wall of my room will be virtually floor to ceiling record shelving ( yes , I know not great diffusing but I also have to be practical with over 5000LP's to store). I have read quite a bit about the benefits of diffusion as opposed to absorption at the first reflection points ( jury out as far as I can see).I know companies like Acoustic geometry sell curved diffusers for this purpose. Finally my question- those of you who have used the Apertures ( Ivan? tima?) , do they work well in this situation ? And are you still pleased with their performance?
Many thanks
Kevin

Masterlu 07-07-2019 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzluvva (Post 971817)
Seems like an appropriate place to ask this, given that I know some here have direct experience of using the Apertures.
After another prolonged period of ill health, my energy /enthusiasm has returned to almost normal. I have remodelled my room a bit and have changed almost my entire system. Previously I had a full swag of REAL TRAPS in there. But ( and I have no data to support this), I have a nagging feeling that the room is over damped. As part of a new beginning , I am open to the idea of changing my acoustic approach.
The rear wall of my room will be virtually floor to ceiling record shelving ( yes , I know not great diffusing but I also have to be practical with over 5000LP's to store). I have read quite a bit about the benefits of diffusion as opposed to absorption at the first reflection points ( jury out as far as I can see).I know companies like Acoustic geometry sell curved diffusers for this purpose. Finally my question- those of you who have used the Apertures ( Ivan? tima?) , do they work well in this situation ? And are you still pleased with their performance?
Many thanks
Kevin

Kevin... as far as Acoustic Panels go; the Aperture II’s are as good as they get. I just bought/added a few more.

tima 07-07-2019 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzluvva (Post 971817)
... Previously I had a full swag of REAL TRAPS in there. But ( and I have no data to support this), I have a nagging feeling that the room is over damped. As part of a new beginning , I am open to the idea of changing my acoustic approach.
Many thanks
Kevin

Fwiw I had Real Traps before getting Apertures. The RTs are larger, thicker and take more effort to position and mount. Imo the Apertures look better and easily are more effective. I have six on the front wall, one at each first reflection point, and three on the back wall (which also has records.)

I've had this setup since 2014 and remain very satsified with them. Initially I tried a combination of Real Traps and Apertures. It was difficult to find combinations and positions that were optimal. Paul Waukeen suggested removing all the RTs and then add the Apertures - I had four to start - trying different positions. Wherever I tried them it was easy to hear the effect. When I added two more, putting one at each first reflection point things really fell into place. The Real Traps never returned. Fwiw, the Apertures are designed by a professional acoustician and are patented.

I had the large RT bass traps in the corners of the front wall. The Apertures are not bass traps. But after adding the Apertures I found the RT bass traps were no longer needed. Photos in one of my profile galleries.

jazzluvva 07-07-2019 04:29 AM

Ivan, tima
Thank you both for chiming in. I was hoping one or both would. And the comparison with real traps was especially interesting.
Now to find a dealer in my neck of the woods.
Thanks you again, gentlemen.
Kevin

jpgr4blu 07-08-2019 05:02 PM

Ivan sells them

jazzluvva 07-08-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgr4blu (Post 972045)
Ivan sells them

i bet :D
When I said my neck of the woods, I meant arse end of the world. Proving a tad difficult to get here but not impossible.

Masterlu 07-08-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzluvva (Post 972098)
i bet :D
When I said my neck of the woods, I meant arse end of the world. Proving a tad difficult to get here but not impossible.

https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.ne...BOX8272379.jpg