AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Why Do I Have Better Luck With Bookshelf Speakers? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47004)

LarsT 11-08-2019 04:51 PM

Why Do I Have Better Luck With Bookshelf Speakers?

I have been struggling to find a pair of floorstanders that, well, floor me. However, I have had much better luck with bookshelf speakers. I have been wondering why that is, but I can’t seem to put my finger on it, aside from two way and full range considerations. What am I missing? I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, brighter vs warmer, the same brand, different brands, etc. I just can’t seem to get it right, and I would like to get off the merry go round.
I realize that there are many variables to consider, but I guess my question is more of a general speaker question as opposed to room acoustics, speaker placement, etc.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome.

Masterlu 11-08-2019 06:15 PM

Just two words are in order; “Road Trip” :o

LarsT 11-08-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 985087)
Just two words are in order; “Road Trip” :o

That would be a wise move

Formerly YB-2 11-08-2019 07:22 PM

Am like you. Every time I move to floor standers I end up back with monitors. Think it is likely the better sound-stage with a 2-way monitor. The closest I've come is with 2-way floor standers from Devore or Joseph Audio. Am on a "speaker search" (forever?) and the best I've heard to-date have been 2-way floor standers.

Masterlu 11-08-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 985088)
That would be a wise move

You will hear many outstanding floor standers; I guarantee it! :yes:

W9TR 11-08-2019 08:44 PM

Why Do I Have Better Luck With Bookshelf Speakers?

Here’s my experience. With monitors you can position them to optimize imaging and soundstage. You can get holographic performance and great tone within the constraints of multi-use rooms. You can add a subwoofer to reproduce the lowest two octaves and position the sub for optimum coupling in to the room. What you will miss is the scale and coherence of a full size floorstander, especially in the lower midrange and upper bass ranges.

With floorstanders, the positioning problem is way more challenging. You have to position the speakers so the bass couples into the room uniformly vs frequency at your listening position. This often necessitates a position that may not be compatible with other uses of the room, perhaps with the speakers further away from the front and side walls than you can easily accommodate. After you‘ve done that, you have to tweak the position of the speakers to optimize imaging, which may impact the bass coupling. You then adjust the rake angle for a coherent top to bottom presentation. What you get in return is scale you just can’t get from monitors, great mid-bass transient attack, and an overall presentation that is very coherent.

Puma Cat 11-08-2019 09:43 PM

One word:

Dynaudio

Antonmb 11-09-2019 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 985102)
Here’s my experience. With monitors you can position them to optimize imaging and soundstage. You can get holographic performance and great tone within the constraints of multi-use rooms. You can add a subwoofer to reproduce the lowest two octaves and position the sub for optimum coupling in to the room. What you will miss is the scale and coherence of a full size floorstander, especially in the lower midrange and upper bass ranges.

With floorstanders, the positioning problem is way more challenging. You have to position the speakers so the bass couples into the room uniformly vs frequency at your listening position. This often necessitates a position that may not be compatible with other uses of the room, perhaps with the speakers further away from the front and side walls than you can easily accommodate. After you‘ve done that, you have to tweak the position of the speakers to optimize imaging, which may impact the bass coupling. You then adjust the rake angle for a coherent top to bottom presentation. What you get in return is scale you just can’t get from monitors, great mid-bass transient attack, and an overall presentation that is very coherent.

Great post.

bart 11-09-2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Excellent! :tresbon:

LarsT 11-09-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Well that certainly explains my thoughts much better that I can. I'm guessing part of my problem is my lack of understanding of the science involved...or inability to articulate it.
A large part of what I'm missing with floorstanders is the holographic sound. It's amazing how I have owned monitors that sound "right" immediately, with very little positioning. B&W 805D3 and Aerial Acoustics 5T immediately come to mind. I had the instant wow factor. A lack of scale is the major drawback. On the other hand, I have spent hours adjusting positioning of floorstanders, trying in vain to find the sweet spot. Acoustic treatments have helped with bass response, but not the overall image. And I have never had the wow factor right off the bat.
So perhaps I am looking for a speaker that is very forgiving in terms of room positioning so I can find the elusive holographic sound where the music is floating all around me. The best I have hear to date is Avalon ISIS, but that is not a realistic option for me.