AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Sennheiser HD650 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40964)

PHC1 10-29-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 875891)
Serge, I got the HD650s for my 40th birthday from my wife.
She thought: I'll be safe buying the most expensive ones. :D

They are fantastic, but I think I haven't squeezed out the last bit out of them, as I'm using them through the headphone output of my Marantz processor.
I'm really interested in the Schiit amps, but fear a bit the customs (I've ordered stuff in the US already, and had to pay extra taxes - Ivan is much smarter in this aspect!).

Bart, I am awaiting Valhalla 2 tube headphone amp. I will let you know what I think of it. The HD600 and HD650 are magic with tubes. It should be here next week.

bart 10-29-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875896)
Bart, Schiit has a Schiit Audio Europe site; just do a search..they are based in The Netherlands. Asgard 2 is €279.

Ah! Great! Thank you Stephen. :thumbsup:

bart 10-29-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 875902)
Bart, I am awaiting Valhalla 2 tube headphone amp. I will let you know what I think of it. The HD600 and HD650 are magic with tubes. It should be here next week.

Fantastic Serge!
And I found the site in the Netherlands.
I think they have one more client. :yes:

PHC1 10-29-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875888)

Glad to see Sennheiser is not straying to far from the original recipe of warmish response and balance that is so easy on the ears. The HD660s seem to be a bit more elevated in the "presence region". Not a huge difference, they will sound a bit closer to neutral I would think.

Puma Cat 10-29-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 875905)
Glad to see the Sennheiser team evolve the HD650 to HD660 status but is keeping with tradition of voicing them in the relaxed, warmish tones. Looking at the graph only I can deduce they will sound just a touch darker in the presence region. :music:

I don't know if we're allowed to mention headphone forums here by name, but the one I hang out on, but one of the members mentioned bit more response in the area of what the headphone guys call "sub-bass". The 660s have an impedance of 150 ohms to make them easier to drive, as well. Sennheiser has some stiff competition these days with the Oppo PM3 planar magnetics, which I have and which is superb. I should do a review of them.

PHC1 10-29-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875909)
I don't know if we're allowed to mention headphone forums here by name, but the one I hang out on, but one of the members mentioned bit more response in the area of what the headphone guys call "sub-bass". The 660s have an impedance of 150 ohms to make them easier to drive, as well. Sennheiser has some stiff competition these days with the Oppo PM3 planar magnetics, which I have and which is superb. I should do a review of them.

I will wait a year or two when the HD660 fall in price like I did with the 650's while I enjoyed the 600. :D Yes, you should absolutely share you findings on the Oppo. I was curious about them! :yes:

Puma Cat 10-29-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 875912)
I will wait a year or two when the HD660 fall in price like I did with the 650's while I enjoyed the 600. :D Yes, you should absolutely share you findings on the Oppo. I was curious about them! :yes:

Ha! I totally get that; you've got four pairs to keep you busy! :thumbsup:

The Oppos are pretty wonderful.

I think this afternoon I will hook Valhalla 2 up to Gumby and compare the HD600s to the PM3s. The HD600s are so well known, they will be a good reference standard.

PHC1 10-29-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875915)
Ha! I totally get that; you've got four pairs to keep you busy! :thumbsup:

The Oppos are pretty wonderful.

I think this afternoon I will hook Valhalla 2 up to Gumby and compare the HD600s to the PM3s. The HD600s are so well known, they will be a good reference standard.

Looking forward to it Stephen. :thumbsup:

PHC1 10-29-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875895)
That headphone stand looks familiar, as do the headphones! ;)

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...ne%20stand.jpg

Ha! That's interesting, same headphone stand. :D Stephen, I didn't know you were an aviation fan? The background is out of focus but it seems to me you have some Spitfires on your shelf?

jdandy 10-29-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 875909)
I don't know if we're allowed to mention headphone forums here by name......

Stephen.......Sure you can. You can mention any forum you wish. What the forum rules do not allow is active links to these other forums. Metioning a forum like Head-Fi.org does not violate any forum rules.