AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   20.7 on the way!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39688)

timm 07-12-2017 02:40 PM

Maggies are finished ..... Getting ready to ship!! :) .... everything is going to be great right?? haha.....

timm 07-17-2017 02:47 PM

Everything arrived as expected!! :banana: Things are breaking in as we speak.... I am a happy camper.... Now to get thru the 400 hours of break-in..... So far from box to 15 hrs in - there has been a dramatic change in the speaker... Still some nits to work out.... but things are all moving in the right direction... I have never had the break-in experience quite like this as they sounded fairly junky right out of the box.... but I am dealing with a lot of new variables ... One being a new room

cma29 07-17-2017 04:09 PM

Congrats, timm.

Can you post a picture of the set up?

vegaracer1 07-17-2017 07:45 PM

Congratulations again. I find the break in thing really odd,but I have to say it's true in my own experience too.

timm 07-19-2017 10:00 PM

Well I think with panels break in makes sense. Also - I am muddling with placement and the 20s are so sensitive to that it can be the difference between harshness and juuussstt right.

I have been playing with toe in and the differences are unbelievable from having voices recessed down a hallway to placed in the plane of the speakers.

I was concerned initially because voices just sounded harsh. Not anymore since I fixed toe in. :music:

cma29 07-19-2017 10:14 PM

Thanks for reporting on the progress.

What kind of music do you listen to? I find the 20.7s to truly excel reproducing acoustic music recorded in a real space.

timm 07-19-2017 10:25 PM

Well I listen to everything.

and I have a lot of everything. What the mags bring to symphonic is simply amazing. You get this 'presence'. It is odd how they can create excitement and anticipation as you await the next movement etc. I have not heard many other speakers do this.

Anybody that doesn't listen to the orchestra ...will if they purchase these as it just sounds so incredible.

timm 07-20-2017 09:47 AM

Early morning of Day 6.... Getting out the tape measure.... :) ... We are 'close'.... but are off a bit in equal toe-in.....

timm 07-20-2017 11:42 AM

Carlos -

So in your seated position - what part of the speaker is pointing at you if any?
Right now - I have essentially the middle of the mid/bass panel pointed directly at my head.

Can you talk a bit about your break in? Thanks tim.

mgard 07-20-2017 03:27 PM

timm,
Congratulations on your new Maggie's. I know you have waited a long time. Yes those panels take a while to settle in but it is sure worth the wait. I have the 3.7i's and I am still very pleased with them. Yes we need to see pictures.

~Mike