AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   New Review - Modwright Sony SCD XA5400ES Player - The Giant Killer (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12968)

JJinID 03-11-2012 12:32 AM

New Review - Modwright Sony SCD XA5400ES Player - The Giant Killer

modwright

joeinid 08-03-2012 05:29 PM

My Modwright Sony SCD-XA5400ES Player showed up today. Jeff is 1000% correct. This thing is awesome. It really brought up the level of my system and it's not even broken in yet. I've been non-stop swapping cds/sacds and loving every minute. Full, slighter warmer, musical, layered. I love it.

Still-One 08-03-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid
My Modwright Sony SCD-XA5400ES Player showed up today. Jeff is 1000% correct. This thing is awesome. It really brought up the level of my system and it's not even broken in yet. I've been non-stop swapping cds/sacds and loving every minute. Full, slighter warmer, musical, layered. I love it.

Sorry Joe, tubes and warmer are not what I want from my digital. Now layered in something else.

Keep us posted. Jim

joeinid 08-03-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 345051)
Sorry Joe, tubes and warmer are not what I want from my digital. Now layered in something else.

Keep us posted. Jim

Jim,

I think I am trying to compensate for the awesomeness of the rest of my system. I need a slightly more forgiving sound while still being musical (I think I can understand our Shindo friends). Even though I bought the CR-1's, too much of a good thing for someone else is waaaay too much for me. I am blown away how good this player is, to me. I am not a fan of harsh music, like some cds of yesterday and today sound. Everything needs a little balance. Unless the recording is PERFECT (like those specialty cds), I prefer my GAT/Dart. The ModWright gives me some of that tube goodness and rounds out the peaks that drive me out of the room. The ModWright on my 077/911/CR-1's sounds amazing. I am a happy camper.

If it had a digital input, I'd be done! Seriously. There are plans on the table but nothing concrete. Hey, it's whatever we enjoy.

JJinID 08-03-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 345077)
Jim,

I think I am trying to compensate for the awesomeness of the rest of my system. I need a slightly more forgiving sound while still being musical (I think I can understand our Shindo friends). Even though I bought the CR-1's, too much of a good thing for someone else is waaaay too much for me. I am blown away how good this player is, to me. I am not a fan of harsh music, like some cds of yesterday and today sound. Everything needs a little balance. Unless the recording is PERFECT (like those specialty cds), I prefer my GAT/Dart. The ModWright gives me some of that tube goodness and rounds out the peaks that drive me out of the room. The ModWright on my 077/911/CR-1's sounds amazing. I am a happy camper.

If it had a digital input, I'd be done! Seriously. There are plans on the table but nothing concrete. Hey, it whatever we enjoy.

:thumbsup: Very happy for you Joe!

Jim - I know you aren't at all a tube guy, but you REALLY should figure out a way to hear a ModWright Sony 5400 or Oppo 95 in your system. I would lay greater than 50/50 odds you would keep it!

joeinid 08-03-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 345080)

:thumbsup: Very happy for you Joe!

Jim - I know you aren't at all a tube guy, but you REALLY should figure out a way to hear a ModWright Sony 5400 or Oppo 95 in your system. I would lay greater than 50/50 odds you would keep it!

Thank you my friend. You were right, I resisted at first, but I love it and it's still breaking in. My upgraded tubes are waiting in the wings. :music: For what they charge, it is a serious no brainer. I really think it competes with players 5X or more of it's asking price, easy.

bzr 08-03-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 345081)
Thank you my friend. You were right, I resisted at first, but I love it and it's still breaking in. My upgraded tubes are waiting in the wings. :music: For what they charge, it is a serious no brainer. I really think it competes with players 5X or more of it's asking price, easy.

Hey Joe, you're not the first person that has written that. Congrats on the new player.:thumbsup:

joeinid 08-03-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzr (Post 345129)
Hey Joe, you're not the first person that has written that. Congrats on the new player.:thumbsup:

Thanks Kev,

I still need/want that killer dac/player and MSB is high on my list. John and you are pushing me in that direction and I can appreciate your enthusiasm. It may take a little while to get an MSB dac (or one or two others), but I'm willing to go there.

chessman 08-03-2012 10:59 PM

Happy for you, Joe. I seem to recall someone else who found joy with a tube cd player. ;)

joeinid 08-03-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 345174)
Happy for you, Joe. I seem to recall someone else who found joy with a tube cd player. ;)

Oooooh, ooooooh I know :)

Seriously, it's a great player. I'm really liking it so far. At least it gives me time to survey the field.