AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Conrad-Johnson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11012)

XCop5089 06-15-2019 12:32 PM

My Premier 350SA (purchased new in 2004) is still going strong, fifteen years later. No servicing required. Now coupled with a GAT Series 2 preamp!

joe_marsh 12-11-2019 01:07 PM

15 years later

Saw a Premier 350 for a good price. I have a MF 2300A going strong...do you think I should get the 350. Or maybe new speakers?!?!?

Puma Cat 12-11-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_marsh (Post 988651)
Saw a Premier 350 for a good price. I have a MF 2300A going strong...do you think I should get the 350. Or maybe new speakers?!?!?

I've never heard an MF2300A, but I've owned the Premier 350 for quite a while. I ended up selling it because I felt my tube-based LP70S was more spacious and open-sounding and musical, on the whole.

If your MF2300A is going strong, I wouldn't flip it just for a Pr350. If its the same one I've seen, its about $5K.

I'll tell you what I'd do with that $5K if you haven't done so already: I use it to buy a Shunyata Delta D6 power conditioner for $2K, and put the remaining $3K into Shunyata NR power cords for the rest of your system, if you are presently using the OEM or stock power cords that came with your amplification components. IMHO, an investment in your power distribution "chain" would make for a considerably more enjoyable and engaging experience than tradin' out amps or speakers.

joe_marsh 12-11-2019 08:16 PM

Sounds about right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 988688)
I've never heard an MF2300A, but I've owned the Premier 350 for quite a while. I ended up selling it because I felt my tube-based LP70S was more spacious and open-sounding and musical, on the whole.

If your MF2300A is going strong, I wouldn't flip it just for a Pr350. If its the same one I've seen, its about $5K.

I'll tell you what I'd do with that $5K if you haven't done so already: I use it to buy a Shunyata Delta D6 power conditioner for $2K, and put the remaining $3K into Shunyata NR power cords for the rest of your system, if you are presently using the OEM or stock power cords that came with your amplification components. IMHO, an investment in your power distribution "chain" would make for a considerably more enjoyable and engaging experience than tradin' out amps or speakers.

Very interesting and along my sentiment. I have thought, generally, why fix what ain’t broke? I have also thought the difference might be simply incremental. I have also considered going tube based I’m not quite ready yet as I have young children and a confined space.

Coppy 12-11-2019 09:38 PM

I don't know your speakers so can't comment on them. And, not sure what your are trying to accomplish. Do you feel your current amplifier is somehow holding you back?

That said, I've owned the MF series amplifiers (along with the P350) and though excellent, really aren't in the same league as the P350. That amplifier is in my opinion more open, detailed and supremely powerful. It has been the reference amplifier to a number of world class reviewers both here and overseas.

Good luck with your decision.

Puma Cat 12-11-2019 10:37 PM

Alternatively, if you're set on getting a more modern amp, you might consider getting something like an ET250S for $2K (there's one at the same auction site as the Pr350), and put the remaining $3K into higher quality power distribution.

sleepysurf 12-12-2019 09:35 AM

If the price is right for the Premier 350, why not go ahead and try it? If it doesn't live up to expectations, you can always re-sell it for the same $$. I still love mine!

Formerly YB-2 12-12-2019 12:18 PM

Won't swear to it, but think the MF2300A has standard caps and the Premier 350 has CJs Teflon caps (you can confirm with CJ). If so, you will definitely hear a difference between the two. Depending on your speakers, I found the Classic 60SE mated with an ET3SE to be a wonderful match.

Puma Cat 12-13-2019 04:04 PM

I'm still of the view that you're going to obtain a more significant, enjoyable and engaging experience by upgrading your power distribution system first.

Here's my rationale: the upgraded power distribution system improvements will be very obvious. You can decide if you like and enjoy the improvements; my guess is you will like them a lot. If you do like these enhancements, and you still decide you want to upgrade the amp, you'll want to maximize the performance of the new amp with your improved power distribution system because you already know what it brings to the system.

If you just opt for a new amp: 1) you won't know the degree, nature, and experience of what an upgraded power distribution system brings and 2) you'll be spending a lot of money in obtaining, IMHO, an incremental upgrade. And 3) if you haven't improved your power distribution system, you still won't be getting most from this investment in the new amp.

Just my 2¢.

joe_marsh 12-14-2019 04:22 PM

In conversation with Jeff @CJ, he said the MF 2300A was a $10K amp if produced today. It was the logical end of that design at the time with upgraded parts. Of course, the teflon capacitors have been introduced since then and would be an upgrade.

In general though, my system sounds terrific - we are simply looking at very incremental changes. My space has limits as I have to live with the living room I'm dealt. I have introduced Lessloss power cords and a Core Technologies power conditioner very recently.