AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Bose is closing more than 100 stores worldwide (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47463)

Masterlu 01-20-2020 09:27 PM

Bose is closing more than 100 stores worldwide

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/busin...tore-closures/

Weirdcuba 01-20-2020 10:23 PM

Bricks and mortar retail of many varieties is an endangered species.

nicoff 01-21-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 992995)
Bricks and mortar retail of many varieties is an endangered species.

Totally agree. I am having to replace a broken faucet at home. Local B&M stores do not have the exact replacement in stock. They can order it and they can ship it to my home (arrives in a week or so). If I want it professionally installed, the B&M can arrange that too but I have to go to the store and fill out an installation order. And of course I have to wait until the faucet arrives so that I can confirm an installation date/time.

Enter Amazon. A search of the part number leads to the exact replacement. It will arrive in two days (Prime). Moreover, Amazon offers a fixed price for professional installation. And allows you to pick a day and time for install. It took literally one minute to buy and schedule the installation date/time. The item will be delivered and installed in less than a week. The cost via Amazon including professional installation is cheaper than the price from the B&M (without installation).

All these is done via "Amazon Home Services" a new division from Amazon that allows you to hire professional installers (even on products that you bought elsewhere).

Puma Cat 01-21-2020 01:06 PM

Its really simple. If you run a business that does not meet customer needs, you will eventually go out of business.

Ya gotta hand it to Amazon, they meet (and usually exceed) customer needs.

crwilli 01-21-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 993028)
Its really simple. If you run a business that does not meet customer needs, you will eventually go out of business.

Ya gotta hand it to Amazon, they meet (and usually exceed) customer needs.

Spoken like a real sigma master black belt.

Mikado463 01-21-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 993027)
Totally agree. I am having to replace a broken faucet at home. Local B&M stores do not have the exact replacement in stock. They can order it and they can ship it to my home (arrives in a week or so). If I want it professionally installed, the B&M can arrange that too but I have to go to the store and fill out an installation order. And of course I have to wait until the faucet arrives so that I can confirm an installation date/time.

Enter Amazon. A search of the part number leads to the exact replacement. It will arrive in two days (Prime). Moreover, Amazon offers a fixed price for professional installation. And allows you to pick a day and time for install. It took literally one minute to buy and schedule the installation date/time. The item will be delivered and installed in less than a week. The cost via Amazon including professional installation is cheaper than the price from the B&M (without installation).

All these is done via "Amazon Home Services" a new division from Amazon that allows you to hire professional installers (even on products that you bought elsewhere).

Better yet, my buddy's a plumber .........:D

joey_v 01-21-2020 06:43 PM

So basically soon there will be no stores.

So is that even a good thing?

We gonna be fat slobs ordering online.

Masterlu 01-21-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 993059)

Hey, who are you calling a fat slob? :D

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im...C675&width=960

nicoff 01-21-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 993046)
Better yet, my buddy's a plumber .........:D

Ask your buddy to check out Amazon Home Services. From what I saw, they team up with independent local installers and sub out the work to them. It almost sounds like a Uber arrangement.

nicoff 01-21-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 993059)

There will be less stores for sure. But I believe that the surviving B&M stores will be more specialized.

That will be good for some folks and not good for others. But that is no different than economic shifts that we have seen in the past. Change is the only constant.

Fat slobs... You are probably right [emoji51]

PS. I got a smart watch for Christmas and learned that one does not get in shape going shopping. One needs to go to the gym for that! So if you shop online, you will have more time to go to the gym!