AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Ref 250/RefPhono2SE/Linn LP12 SE/Radikal...Magic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11165)

enatai252 12-02-2011 02:52 AM

Ref 250/RefPhono2SE/Linn LP12 SE/Radikal...Magic

New amps and new source in the system. 595 more hours of break-in and counting...Ayre KX-R works very well in this system.

Using Linn Akiva for cartridge....set counterweight for 1.25 tracking force and dialed in .5 more. This moves weight closer to pivot point and allows me to easily dial in range of 1.5 to 2.0 with arm adjustment. Used AcousTech electronic gauge. Ref Phono set at high gain and 1k loading. 1.75 anti skate.

Table sits on a HRS SXR 1V stand and M3X base....RefPhono is on S1 base...Radikal sits on Nimbus couplers. Table is outside listening room...on other side of adjacent wall. I can control Ref Phono with remote from listening position.

Amps sit in cabinet behind speakers on 5 nimbus couplers with dampening plate on top

Will post comments on system over weekend...there may be other ways to Nirvana...but I like the road I am on...

Kids sat down with me to listen to "Kind of Blue". They loved it...so nice to have vinyl in this system again.

Pics and comments to follow...

When SME 20/3 arrives I may do a shoot out. I have a feeling I will like them both.

ARC is mum on SE version changes...but it sounds great out of the box.

joeinid 12-02-2011 02:57 AM

Congratulations, sounds like a nice setup. Can't wait to see some photos.

Joe

Jerome W 12-02-2011 03:45 AM

Congrats !
TT outside listening room ?
You're a perfectionist.

enatai252 12-02-2011 04:13 AM

Placement is more for my sanity than ultimate SQ. the listening room is used as media room for kids and friends...could not find a location in room that I felt was safe. Since the equipment closet is in back right corner of room, and there are cabinets with stone tops on other side of back wall...It seemed ideal to put table on stone countertop on quality stand with capability of level adjustment. Radikal and Phono 2 sit below in cabinet. Had to drill two holes in countertop for Radikal and audio connection to drop down. Drilled 2 holes in back of cabinet through to equipment rack. One for power to access 20 amp runs in cabinet and second for balanced Transparent connections to preamp...and IR. relatively clean...solid base for TT...and safe from kids.

Door into room is close to TT but do have to walk fast to get to seat to catch first few notes.

cmalak 12-02-2011 05:32 AM

enatai252...congrats on the new ARC gear :thumbsup: Sounds like you are in for a nice musical ride.

BlueChiaro 12-02-2011 07:28 AM

Congrats, you know I approve of your gear selection! :D I would love some HRS under my components, but that is not in the budget, right now. Thanks for explaining the table in the other room phenomenon...I was thinking that it was for isolation proposes...from sounds waves, not kids. Who knew that listening to vinyl could be an aerobic activity?! Enjoy your setup.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

ojdeteos 12-02-2011 07:42 AM

very nice gear enatai252, i bet you enjoy it so much :music:

PHC1 12-02-2011 09:27 AM

Very nice, enjoy!!! :music:

AndrewN 12-04-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enatai252 (Post 234562)
New amps and new source in the system. 595 more hours of break-in and counting...Ayre KX-R works very well in this system.

Using Linn Akiva for cartridge....set counterweight for 1.25 tracking force and dialed in .5 more. This moves weight closer to pivot point and allows me to easily dial in range of 1.5 to 2.0 with arm adjustment. Used AcousTech electronic gauge. Ref Phono set at high gain and 1k loading. 1.75 anti skate.

Table sits on a HRS SXR 1V stand and M3X base....RefPhono is on S1 base...Radikal sits on Nimbus couplers. Table is outside listening room...on other side of adjacent wall. I can control Ref Phono with remote from listening position.

Amps sit in cabinet behind speakers on 5 nimbus couplers with dampening plate on top

Will post comments on system over weekend...there may be other ways to Nirvana...but I like the road I am on...

Kids sat down with me to listen to "Kind of Blue". They loved it...so nice to have vinyl in this system again.

Pics and comments to follow...

When SME 20/3 arrives I may do a shoot out. I have a feeling I will like them both.

ARC is mum on SE version changes...but it sounds great out of the box.

That sounds like a shootout worth waiting for!

enatai252 12-06-2011 11:40 PM

SME 20/3 showed up at dealer today. Is being set up for me and I will demo with 2 cartridges that I have

A Lyra Titan i which was on the 20/2 or a Benz Ebony LP

Will take a listen to both and should have the table home by Friday..

Only 20 hours on the Ref Phono SE...but finding it hard to stop listening.