AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Planning to build the ultimate "Listening Room" (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42591)

bruno2009 03-29-2018 04:41 PM

Planning to build the ultimate "Listening Room"

Building the ultimate audio listening room.

Well - that`s my plan. I will be building a room, literally "from scratch" to fit my existing stereo system (B&W 802 Diamonds (D2s), McIntosh MC452 & C52, Pass XP 15 and Brinkmann LaGrange).

Everything can be designed free - from room size to form to the materials that are used down to the power lines. It will then be finished with acoustical room treatment.

I am starting my "planning phase" and it`d be great to have some creative input or maybe even someone who can share their own experience.

I am planning a room size from somewhere between 30 - 60 squaremeters (too big might not be ideal, nor too small). Within the parameters I can choose the form rather freely (rectangular or square). Also the amount of windows and where to place them should be considered. Further I`m not sure on what materials to use for the floor. Walls will be solid stone.

It`s my project for the next 12 months (or more) whilst renovating and extending an existing home. I`m still not sure if I really want to integrate a home cinema or just leave it right down to plain stereo (certainly stereo playback is the main focus though).

Glad to hear your thoughts and advice...

nicoff 03-29-2018 06:04 PM

A music room and a home cinema are not mutually exclusive. It is not difficult to build a room that can serve both purposes. If you plan it well, it is easy and cheaper to install wiring for a home cinema from the beginning. You should check out avsforums to get good ideas about building a home theater.
Also, I there are room calculators available that can give you optimal room dimensions. I have seen these dimensions at several websites:
10 feet high
17 feet wide
23 feet long

80B 03-29-2018 09:54 PM

Christoph,
There are a lot of threads here, as you have probably seen, of people who have built some terrific rooms. You may want to post some links to some of the ones that intrigue you to stimulate discussion. Do you have pictures of your existing space? Before-and-after is always interesting. :lurk:

nicoff 03-29-2018 10:15 PM

FWIW, a company named Rives used to offer a service where they would design a listening room for you based on your equipment and needs. They would prepare a set of plans that you could give to your Architect or to your builder to execute.

In any event, if your goal is to build the ultimate listening room, paying an audio consultant is money well spent.

vintage_tube 03-29-2018 10:17 PM

For those interested & perspective for input:

30m² === 322 ft²
60m² === 645 ft²

Best Sir,

Bob

nicoff 03-29-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 908754)
For those interested & perspective for input:

30m² === 322 ft²

60m² === 645 ft²

Best Sir,

Bob

23 ft x 17 feet = 391 SQ. FT.

vintage_tube 03-29-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 908755)
23 ft x 17 feet = 391 SQ. FT.

:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

bruno2009 03-30-2018 04:11 AM

Ah - Cheers... I forgot that the base unit of length may vary...

bruno2009 03-30-2018 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 908753)
FWIW, a company named Rives used to offer a service where they would design a listening room for you based on your equipment and needs. They would prepare a set of plans that you could give to your Architect or to your builder to execute.

In any event, if your goal is to build the ultimate listening room, paying an audio consultant is money well spent.

Thanx - I have 3 audio consultants for room acoustics that I‘m taking into consideration ...

bruno2009 03-30-2018 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 908743)
Christoph,

There are a lot of threads here, as you have probably seen, of people who have built some terrific rooms. You may want to post some links to some of the ones that intrigue you to stimulate discussion. Do you have pictures of your existing space? Before-and-after is always interesting. :lurk:

Hi & thanx for the input - if people are interested I will certainly share the journey... things will go from scratch... I am in the first steps of the planning phase. No existing room yet... but the architect will come and start making building plans within the next few days... I am building the extra room as I don‘t want to integrate the stereo system into the existing living room...