AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   ChronosonicXVX (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46378)

Masterlu 08-29-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 977776)
Ummmmmm....not sure when the last time you were at RMAF, but let's just say the girls were......few and far between.

- Buck

That’s why I stopped going. :laughin:

bart 08-30-2019 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 977791)
That’s why I stopped going. :laughin:

I guess you prefer car shows?!

https://victoriaeventi.it/wp-content...SS-SLIDE-3.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bWsb7O13DRY/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.automobilenews.net/wp-co...t-Girls-10.jpg

:D

SuperD 08-30-2019 12:09 PM

The SEMA show in Vegas is ridiculous!! Even my wife was impressed.

TOGA 08-30-2019 12:16 PM

ChronosonicXVX

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59857
Attachment 59858Attachment 59859

Woww..
Oh these reminded me of Hansen The King.

frequentflyer 08-30-2019 01:30 PM

Interesting new design feature, open sides. Can't wait till speaker lower in the line get the same treatment.

SCAudiophile 08-30-2019 03:19 PM

Looks very similar to a Quintessence Audio Shadow, Stealth or Zeta :-)

QA never really caught on as they might have though...

SCAudiophile 08-30-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frequentflyer (Post 977865)
Interesting new design feature, open sides. Can't wait till speaker lower in the line get the same treatment.

Looks very similar to a Quintessence Audio Stealth or Zeta :-)

QA never really caught on as they might have though...

Joe P 08-30-2019 05:34 PM

TOGA- Great pictures, thanks.

Saw a post on another forum that the MSRP is $329K.

Still-One 08-30-2019 06:24 PM

Must have been easy meeting to set the pricing. Lets make it 50% less than the WAMM and 50% more than the XLF. :D

2fastdriving 08-30-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 977884)
Must have been easy meeting to set the pricing. Lets make it 50% less than the WAMM and 50% more than the XLF. :D

Lol yup! I always wondered how those meetings go. Many companies just double the cost of the preceding model all the way up the food chain. Seems kind of contrived when they do that. Some of Wilson's models are close to that pricing model but not quite. They (hopefully) price fairly linearly in conjunction with the actual costs of parts and labor and R&D.

I will say, the chronosonic xvx looks like a lot of effort into craftsmanship. That ain't cheap!

TOGA 08-30-2019 08:50 PM

ChronosonicXVX

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59860
Attachment 59861
Attachment 59862

TOGA 08-30-2019 08:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59863Attachment 59864

Inspired by Giraffe.

TOGA 08-30-2019 09:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59865
Attachment 59866
Attachment 59867

For The Love of Music 08-30-2019 09:44 PM

ChronosonicXVX

IMO, an impressive design on this one and can only imagine the SQ - nice photos!

TOGA 08-31-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe P (Post 977878)
TOGA- Great pictures, thanks.

Saw a post on another forum that the MSRP is $329K.

So unaffordable..

crwilli 08-31-2019 07:56 AM

Yes, so unaffordable that I don’t feel I should even comment on their aesthetics. I am not even in the bell curve of target customers.

Masterlu 08-31-2019 08:16 AM

And yet someone will buy them; just not me. :o

Still-One 08-31-2019 01:05 PM

I will have the opportunity to hear the XVX at the Midwest Debut event at Paragon on 7-November. That will be the third of this years Fall Music Series.

Down Under 08-31-2019 02:13 PM

Should have a high WAF.........

2fastdriving 08-31-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe P (Post 978029)
https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2019/08/31/wilson-audio-announcing-the-chronosonic-xvx/?fbclid=IwAR3wFaUTAwjgggYiaea4TnE7wTbzQ68pUHG_Hln-Lq6GOVIaQSu09XtpRLI

It's weird to me that we have to learn all this stuff from leaked photos and a German audio magazine. I wish WA was a little better at communicating and rolling stuff out. But it's not just them, it's an issue in the industry IMHO.

metaphacts 09-01-2019 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 978035)
It's weird to me that we have to learn all this stuff from leaked photos and a German audio magazine. I wish WA was a little better at communicating and rolling stuff out. But it's not just them, it's an issue in the industry IMHO.

Marc there have been photos from the press release on the Wilson Facebook page before anything Ingo wrote. In fact, Ingo got the press release at the same time as the world-wide press and just after dealers and distributors. And almost everything before that on Wilson social media came from Daryl himself, hardly a leak.

It is always our first priority to make sure that dealers and distributors will be able to intelligently discuss a product with consumers when it is finally released. That means they get the information first. This was no different.

I know it can be frustrating when a cool new product is on the horizon - patience is in short supply. That's true regardless of industry. But I also do not know of any company in high end who puts out as much information about a new product as Wilson does on our press releases. Those press releases almost always find their way onto almost every forum out there, both in the US and abroad.

What I would value most from you Marc, especially since you are a multi-Wilson owning customer and Wilson friend, is your opinion of how you would prefer us to do a release. You're our guy and we're always looking to do things better for those who have supported us. I'd love to discuss some ideas with you at the Wilson Reception at RMAF.

SCAudiophile 09-01-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 978073)
Marc there have been photos from the press release on the Wilson Facebook page before anything Ingo wrote. In fact, Ingo got the press release at the same time as the world-wide press and just after dealers and distributors. And almost everything before that on Wilson social media came from Daryl himself, hardly a leak.

It is always our first priority to make sure that dealers and distributors will be able to intelligently discuss a product with consumers when it is finally released. That means they get the information first. This was no different.

I know it can be frustrating when a cool new product is on the horizon - patience is in short supply. That's true regardless of industry. But I also do not know of any company in high end who puts out as much information about a new product as Wilson does on our press releases. Those press releases almost always find their way onto almost every forum out there, both in the US and abroad.

What I would value most from you Marc, especially since you are a multi-Wilson owning customer and Wilson friend, is your opinion of how you would prefer us to do a release. You're our guy and we're always looking to do things better for those who have supported us. I'd love to discuss some ideas with you at the Wilson Reception at RMAF.

FWIW,...many people don't utilize FaceBook at all for various reasons. I am not a Wilson owner but have much respect for the brand and contribution to the industry and also consider Dave a giant in the promotion and futherance of audio speaker design. His loss was deeply felt.

Many do use FB and Instagram as social media sites are a reality in today's world. As an aside, I use only Instagram. FB posts also don't seem to be picked up by webcrawlers like "www.DailyAudiophile.com" that many of us utilize to catch what's new across many popular sites.

If the most meaningful relase of first info was only on FB as your post indicates, you probably missed a chunk of your loyal fan base IMHO.

metaphacts 09-01-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 978077)
FWIW,...many people don't utilize FaceBook at all for various reasons. I am not a Wilson owner but have much respect for the brand and contribution to the industry and also consider Dave a giant in the promotion and futherance of audio speaker design. His loss was deeply felt.

Many do use FB and Instagram as social media sites are a reality in today's world. As an aside, I use only Instagram. FB posts also don't seem to be picked up by webcrawlers like "www.DailyAudiophile.com" that many of us utilize to catch what's new across many popular sites.

If the most meaningful relase of first info was only on FB as your post indicates, you probably missed a chunk of your loyal fan base IMHO.

Thank you for your kind words about Dave and Wilson Audio.

The first release of the.XVX press release was to dealers and distributors followed by the press. It is always that way. Then Wilson uses multiple social platforms simultaneously and also releases on our web site.

Sites like Daily Audiophile often lag well behind the actual articles on the sites they list. Mono and Stereo is one where I often see a post not yet listed on DA. Most often by the time DA lists a website article, multiple dealers and distributors have already shared on various platforms.

We’re not indiscriminate but are much more like carpet bombers than a laser guided bomb. Sounds like we may need to upgrade the density of deployed ordinance.

2fastdriving 09-01-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 978073)

Thanks Bill, I will discuss this with you at RMAF. Look forward to seeing you guys (and the chronosonic xvx!)

Charles 09-04-2019 05:57 AM

In reviewing the XVX's spec's and features, it would definitely work in my room. The width is ideal, being no more wide than my Alexx. Because of its narrow width, effectively it is no taller than an XLF which I already determined would fit. The reason I did not go with an XLF was that I felt that for the money it was a little dated: only new driver was the tweeter. I feel that the Alexx is a much more up to date design. There are many things I like about the XVX for me personally: as I mentioned, the narrow width but in addition: essentially all new drivers and the adjustable rear tweeter, this being very desirable for me. I really like my bass with my current system and would not change to a Subsonic if given the choice, so my Thor is a keeper. My room is quite oblong as is the XVX as opposed to the wider XLF. In addition, the price is very reasonable for the speaker I would be getting, especially compared to the WAMM. All in all, a perfect reference speaker for me and I now have the cables to support a speaker like this. I'm certainly not going to rush out an buy this speaker but I have always wanted a true reference speaker and an XVX would definitely be my final speaker. I have a CD that would cover all expenses. I could sell it for a nice profit. Many things could change for me during the intervening 12-18 months that it would take to make a purchase like this: my health and hearing, finances, and we have an election coming up. It's still a lot of money but the price is right.

I have always been a speaker aficionado, not a cable or amp or source. I have always felt that the speaker makes more for the sound by a significant margin.

2fastdriving 09-04-2019 12:11 PM

Wow! Party at Charles' house!

I hope you are able to do this, I'm sure it would be a fantastic speaker.

Masterlu 09-04-2019 01:39 PM

Dibs on the front center chair! ;)

Charles 09-04-2019 01:58 PM

A lot of work and planning would have to take place. The XVX would be, inside wall of speaker to inside wall a little over 5' distance apart so significantly closer together than the Alexx but it might be closer to 6' apart. I would want 1" clearance from the ceiling but I have never had problems with reflections in my room. Imaging is very good. Alexx is about 15" inside of top module off ceiling. I just don't think it's significant. The adjustable rear tweeter is very desirable in this respect. I would envision the XVX to set maybe 2-3" maybe as much as 4" off the side of my Thor. This would make a Subsonic totally unfeasible because of its horizontal height, being much more than the Thor. The very desirable thing is that I could literally drop the XVX "in" with zero change to my overall system. I wonder what the change to the sound stage would be, the speakers being significantly closer together and angled more straight on in the room in order to maintain the correct tweeter angle with the ears? I would like to see the rear of the XVX to see where the tweeter is located, if possible. Again, the price to me is very reasonable because I would be getting essentially an updated WAMM. Wilson has hit a home run with this speaker. I would expect with no recession, a high demand. The real question is: would it fit??? Right now inside wall of Alexx is about 17" off the Thor with significant toe in. As mentioned, toe in would be significantly less with the XVX. It would be more straight on with my ears. What would this do to the sound stage?

I add that I am totally happy with my Alexx. While some might consider it a true reference, I don't. I am never going to own anything other than Mac. That is settled. The cable upgrade has allowed me to consider an XVX. I would consider it a true reference like a Magico MKII Q7 Or a Sonus Faber SE17, totally in that league if not superior. I have always dreamed of a true reference speaker and now it might be within my reach. I have been very fortunate to have leapfrogged the XLF. I would not want an Alexx upgrade. Not enough difference. Like going from Alexia 1 to 2. No blow away there so what's the point? I really like the totally new drivers slim footprint, everything about speaker. Zero to dislike. Will give an elegant "small" look because so much of it will be hidden, especially with less toe in. Also I can enjoy my Alexx for another year and have something to really look forward to. Should get a really good price for my Alexx. I have been very fortunate not to waste money.

SuperD 09-04-2019 04:48 PM

Hi Charles,
I enjoy reading reading about this new speaker after hearing the WAMM. I may have missed it somewhere but I'm curious why you are settled with Mac? No judgement, I have many and enjoy them but If I hear something I like more, I can be persuaded. I agree with you about speakers but feel amplification and electronics still play a significant role in our sound. To my ears, every amp sounds different so in the end it comes down to our preferences and synergy. I hope the speakers deliver for you!!

Dave

joey_v 09-04-2019 05:40 PM

Good on you Charles!
I hope you get your XVX

Charles 09-04-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 978564)
Hi Charles,
I enjoy reading reading about this new speaker after hearing the WAMM. I may have missed it somewhere but I'm curious why you are settled with Mac? No judgement, I have many and enjoy them but If I hear something I like more, I can be persuaded. I agree with you about speakers but feel amplification and electronics still play a significant role in our sound. To my ears, every amp sounds different so in the end it comes down to our preferences and synergy. I hope the speakers deliver for you!!

Dave

Many reasons but it would take a complete redo of my whole system which I'm not prepared to do. This would be a drop in. I have owned topline Mac forever. Will never change. It's good to be settled in like I am. I believe in sound signatures. I enjoy greatly how folks change out this cord or a new amp or pre but this has never been for me. I am smitten by this speaker but I will have to be confident it will first fit and then sound good in my room. I'm not going to ever upgrade to a new Alexx and think Mac AQ Wilson a super combination as I have proven to my ears.

SuperD 09-04-2019 10:16 PM

Understood. Once you get it right, the smallest change matters. Keep us posted.

Dave

Joe P 09-05-2019 02:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ44...ature=youtu.be

piolaxo 09-05-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe P (Post 978657)

Thanks for the link! Yesterday, I was looking for it in the WA website,
but it wasn't there, maybe it is already there today. I really enjoy the new
products' videos, they do capture their magic and somehow are quite unique
in the industry.

Charles 09-06-2019 04:54 AM

Excellent video. Here's my initial assessment: the XVX will fit and I believe work well in my room. If you swivel the Alexx around and point it straight ahead it is 23" from the side wall. The XVX would be 36" and this would allow 3" below the ceiling. The Alexx is 8.5' apart inside wall to inside wall of speaker and 23" off the Thor. The XVX would be 6.33' apart inside wall of speaker to inside wall and 8" from the Thor. The toe in would be less and I sit 11' from the Alexx. I could move in up to a foot closer with my sofa to the XVX if needed. My room is 15.25' wide and my measurements are based on 180". My ceiling slope is 45 degrees and wall height 5' so if I go out 3' I am at 1.5' up or 78" which is where I get the 3" ceiling clearance, since the spiked height of the XVX would be 75". I hope the rear tweeter is low compared to the XLF. The way I make a purchase like this is that first I have to check and see if the funds are there. They definitely are. Would this change my financial position at all? No. Would it change anything, a meal, vacation, large purchase for home, car purchase, anything. No. Then I buy it in my mind and let it sit for a while to see how it feels.

The really good thing is that all my other equipment is new, recently purchased. They are absolute endpoints for me. As much as I like the Alexx, it does not have the feel (not the sound), to be may last loudspeaker but it could be. The XVX would be. It sounds like a lot of money but it would end my quest for a reference loudspeaker.

Everything will have to be double and triple checked as far as measurements. And I will have to check with Wilson and my dealer in great detail. A purchase like this will take 12-18 months especially since the ship date is the end of October. I suspect a back log of orders.

I have to say there's is nothing that I don't like about the XVX. It's everything I dream about in a speaker. There's nothing I don't like about my Alexx. It really is a great speaker and the first I have heard that I was totally satisfied with sound wise. This is really not about sound for me. It is about owning a true reference. I never thought one could fit in my room.

Last thought: all things are a matter of priorities. If I had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in amps, preamps, and sources, as some of you do, a purchase like this would be impossible for me. I have always felt that Mac represents the best by far value on the market. I've got 1,500 watts of very clean SS power per channel enough to easily drive an XVX. The D1100 is in my mind the best value in a preamp/DAC on the market and my cables are Wel Signature and power cords Dragons, all solid silver. High end audio is very personal: I have exactly what I want for me source, amp and preamp. I feel that adding an XVX would give me an extremely cost effective, frugal, well thought out reference system. The only change would be that as Mac upgrades their reference D1100 to drop in the new piece at my discretion. That's pocket change but great fun to have the current most up to date Mac digital preamp/DAC.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Joe P 09-06-2019 10:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jslqJ4TkE

Charles 09-07-2019 05:23 AM

Thank you for the excellent video. Very helpful. It looks like the rear tweeter (not shown in video) is high but not at the very top. I would like to see the rear tweeter. Alas, not to be. It would seem that when you are showing a speaker like this, providing a view of all the drivers would be important to potential buyers. I also note that speaker height and price was a consideration with the XVX. The fact that the rear tweeter is totally adjustable is very important to me. It was not with the XLF. All in all Daryl has priced it within reach and the height is acceptable but the rear tweeter is a question. Gorgeous speaker. I'd set the XVX as far apart as possible, then adjust my sofa for optimal sound. I have contacted my dealer. He can get me one and says he is confident he can assemble it and tune it to my ears. So we shall see. Again, thank you for the video and if you have an understanding of the rear tweeter, much appreciated.

tima 09-07-2019 07:15 AM

Wrt location, this is my speculation.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5043

It is the same 1-inch silk dome Convergent Synergy Mk.5 tweeter as the front driver. It is not identical to the one in your Alexx, which I believe is the Mk.3

Joe P 09-07-2019 02:33 PM

Charles, from the XVX Press Release:

"For the first time, the rear-firing tweeter will fea-
ture adjustable 0dB to minus 37dB attenuation to en-
able fine tuning of this element for each installation."

Combined with the other adjustments, I think you and you dealer along with your experience with your Alexxs, should be able to dial in the XVX to your room and listening position.

I'd suggest you get your order in, since I think the first production run will sell quickly.
I'd also suggest you have your dealer get samples of the new WilsonGloss Premium Pearl
colors.

piolaxo 09-07-2019 03:49 PM

I am not normally too kind on white speakers, but the XVX looks so slick in white.
There are other great colors, but the white one caught my attention. Congratulations
in advance, it's going to be a serious upgrade.