AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Major changes to my home theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23121)

1KW 09-23-2013 07:43 PM

Major changes to my home theater

This will be the first time I have purchased speakers sight unseen. While I have heard these speakers in other peoples systems , never have I heard this particular combination for home theater. I'm giving my Magnepan to my brother along with a Citation 200 watt / Channel amp and hope to get his audiophile juices going again. He has a old Conrad Johnson pre amp and Mac mini for a source.

My new front 3 speakers will be Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento for the left/right (with full new warranty) from my local dealer and a Sonus a Faber Cremona M Center finished in the matching homage glossy red violin finish from Ivan. I have 2 JLF112 subs to augment the bass from Ivan. I had thought of moving the sonus Faber Elipsa from my 2 channel room but I love the way they sound where they are especially since Bill (metafacts) from Sumiko set them up and I don't want to move them . Hopefully the SF GM will not be too small for my home theater compared to the Magnepan's they replace. Pictures and impressions to follow .

o0OBillO0o 09-23-2013 07:54 PM

:lurk:

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

PHC1 09-23-2013 08:20 PM

David, the GMs with subs and bass management through your HT processor will be superb. I had a similar setup and was using a Bryston 10B crossover in my 2 channel system with first 1 and then 2 JL Audio Fathom F112s in my old house. I believe you heard the spectacular results which were better than full range speakers I've had in that same room. :D

Still-One 09-23-2013 09:21 PM

David
It sounds like this will a nice upgrade for your HT set-up. I am looking forward photos and your impressions.

1KW 09-24-2013 11:36 PM

The center channel looks minty new :banana: and sounds great, Thanks Ivan:D It is too nice to hide in my built in so I will probably have to raise my screen up a few inches. I will post some pictures tomorrow. The L/R SF GM also look mint and so far are exceeding my expectations even without the subs . A lot of sound comes out of those small speakers. My wife was even impressed, she told me to sell my Elipsa's… "why do you need such big speakers when these sound just as good... these little ones are overkill for watching tv" . Of course I may have slanted her opinion by putting on the SACD of midnight sugar for stereo and then the blu ray of Adele in concert for HT. For rock music (my main genre) the Elipsa's being a 3 way speaker are still better. Once I get the speakers placed just right and the 2 JL subs dialed in things should sound even better.

Masterlu 09-25-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 534490)
The center channel looks minty new :banana: and sounds great, Thanks Ivan:D It is too nice to hide in my built in so I will probably have to raise my screen up a few inches. I will post some pictures tomorrow. The L/R SF GM also look mint and so far are exceeding my expectations even without the subs . A lot of sound comes out of those small speakers. My wife was even impressed, she told me to sell my Elipsa's… "why do you need such big speakers when these sound just as good... these little ones are overkill for watching tv" . Of course I may have slanted her opinion by putting on the SACD of midnight sugar for stereo and then the blu ray of Adele in concert for HT. For rock music (my main genre) the Elipsa's being a 3 way speaker are still better. Once I get the speakers placed just right and the 2 JL subs dialed in things should sound even better.

Great... Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

PHC1 09-25-2013 12:28 AM

Awesome upgrade David! :thumbsup: Congrats, enjoy and let me know if you need an hand dialing everything in. :thumbsup:

Jerome W 09-25-2013 01:11 AM

Congrats David ! Major change to say the least. And what a generous action to your brother !
Waiting for the pics !

MyPal 09-25-2013 01:21 AM

:thumbsup: :lurk:

vinod_david 09-25-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 534067)
I'm giving my Magnepan to my brother along with a Citation 200 watt/Channel amp and hope to get his audiophile juices going again.

I want to have brother like you. Congratulations.