AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum HD Pre-Amp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46264)

Still-One 07-17-2019 02:38 PM

Momentum HD Pre-Amp

Well for a couple of months I had been waiting for the upgrades for current Momentum pre-amps to HD level to begin. My dealer had called about a week and a half ago to say they were ready to ship my in. After some discussion I decided to skip the upgrade and just purchase a new black unit to match my M-400's. I like the updated styling of the HD version which is more in line with the amps.

I have been listening with my current pre-amp out of my set-up for over a week now. I have connected the Vivaldi direct to my M-400's and I have been happily surprised at how good it sounds. Maybe I don't need the pre at all. :D

audioguy3107 07-17-2019 04:24 PM

Hi Jim, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the HD, I assume I'll get off the fence and have mine upgraded eventually. I wasn't aware the styings of the HD changed much if at all. Either way, the black units look awesome.

- Buck

Still-One 07-17-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 973310)
Hi Jim, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the HD, I assume I'll get off the fence and have mine upgraded eventually. I wasn't aware the styings of the HD changed much if at all. Either way, the black units look awesome.

- Buck

There is not much difference. See how the copper on each side now continues up each side until it reaches the top. That is about it.
https://hometheaterreview.com/assets...auto-20373.jpg

SuperD 07-18-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 973301)
Well for a couple of months I had been waiting for the upgrades for current Momentum pre-amps to HD level to begin. My dealer had called about a week and a half ago to say they were ready to ship my in. After some discussion I decided to skip the upgrade and just purchase a new black unit to match my M-400's. I like the updated styling of the HD version which is more in line with the amps.

I have been listening with my current pre-amp out of my set-up for over a week now. I have connected the Vivaldi direct to my M-400's and I have been happily surprised at how good it sounds. Maybe I don't need the pre at all. :D

Jim,
I curious what to hear about the difference using a pre and going direct to the M-400s. I'm going to demo an MSB select soon and will connect it to my HD pre and then try direct. Most go direct other than MikeL. Can you tell me what you hear differently? I imagine going direct will offer more resolution but a pre may benefit flow and naturalness? Congrats on the upgrade!

Dave

Still-One 07-18-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 973374)
Jim,
I curious what to hear about the difference using a pre and going direct to the M-400s. I'm going to demo an MSB select soon and will connect it to my HD pre and then try direct. Most go direct other than MikeL. Can you tell me what you hear differently? I imagine going direct will offer more resolution but a pre may benefit flow and naturalness? Congrats on the upgrade!

Dave

Dave
Going direct I believe there is a bit more immediacy or speed with a touch deeper bass. What appears to be lost is some depth to the soundstage plus the bass might not be as accurate. In the past with other combinations I sensed a loss of micro detail without a pre. The newer units have definitely improved in this area.

From what I have heard the MSB Select sounds outstanding direct to the amps. When I A/B'd the MSB Reference and my Vivaldi I only compared them going thru my pre-amp. It would have been much harder to quickly switch back and forth between the two without simultaneously passing the signals thru a pre-amp.

SuperD 07-18-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 973404)
Dave
Going direct I believe there is a bit more immediacy or speed with a touch deeper bass. What appears to be lost is some depth to the soundstage plus the bass might not be as accurate. In the past with other combinations I sensed a loss of micro detail without a pre. The newer units have definitely improved in this area.

From what I have heard the MSB Select sounds outstanding direct to the amps. When I A/B'd the MSB Reference and my Vivaldi I only compared them going thru my pre-amp. It would have been much harder to quickly switch back and forth between the two without simultaneously passing the signals thru a pre-amp.

Thanks Jim. My wallet hopes I go direct.:D

Espen Inge Larsen 07-24-2019 04:55 AM

Hi
Has tested using my Rossini player right on my S250, It was clearly better sound When i use the Momentum preamp. Larger sound more accurate bass and the sound felt more analogous, was surprised that it was so much better with the Momentum preamp!

Espen L

For The Love of Music 07-25-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espen Inge Larsen (Post 974007)
Hi
Has tested using my Rossini player right on my S250, It was clearly better sound When i use the Momentum preamp. Larger sound more accurate bass and the sound felt more analogous, was surprised that it was so much better with the Momentum preamp!

Espen L

I look at the PreAmp as being the systems Heart ❤️

gadawg 08-04-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 974233)
I look at the PreAmp as being the systems Heart ❤️

+1

George

Masterlu 08-04-2019 09:24 AM

No Pre-amp... Blasphemy ;)

Still-One 08-04-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 974960)
No Pre-amp... Blasphemy ;)

I used to think that way too. I am hoping that the new HD pre-amp will reinforce that idea. I am stunned at how good the Vivaldi (and a MSB unit) is direct to the amps. These last couple of weeks have me considering blowing up my whole set-up and simplifying everything.

metaphacts 08-05-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 975048)
I used to think that way too. I am hoping that the new HD pre-amp will reinforce that idea. I am stunned at how good the Vivaldi (and a MSB unit) is direct to the amps. These last couple of weeks have me considering blowing up my whole set-up and simplifying everything.

New speakers then?

Still-One 08-05-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 975073)
New speakers then?

Only contemplating my options. :D

BuffaloBill 08-05-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 975048)
These last couple of weeks have me considering blowing up my whole set-up and simplifying everything.

Computer > Pre/DAC > Amplifier > Speakers

(2) power cords plugged directly into wall socket
(1) USB cable
(1) interconnect
(1) set speaker cables

schneice 08-05-2019 07:24 PM

Dropped my pre with my upgrade to the Rossini. While I think there is a place for pre’s to add value (beyond switching), for me, I felt there was a bigger benefit to go with a better DAC and no-pre vs splitting the dollars across 2 components.

And the better the system the better the pre has to be to just “do no harm”

Might not be for everyone, but I recommend giving the configuration a listen.

GSOphile 08-05-2019 07:48 PM

Back in the 90s I had a Proceed (Mark Levinson's value brand) CDP with a volume control (0.1 DB increments!) that operated in the analog domain. The Proceed and its Mark Levinson big brother, the No. 39 CDP were cutting edge at the time and most reviewers (ref Stereophile's 1997 review of the ML No. 39) felt that their volume controls were the equal of equivalent ML pre-amps. Would like to see more of this in better DACs. The volume control in too many of these (not MSB Ref/Sel and a few others) is an afterthought.

BuffaloBill 08-05-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 975127)
The volume control in too many of these (not MSB Ref/Sel and a few others) is an afterthought.

The volume control on the McIntosh D150 is the same quality as the company's other products.

Still-One 08-29-2019 02:28 PM

Rumor has it that my \new pre-amp will hit the dealer tomorrow.

2fastdriving 08-29-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 975089)
Only contemplating my options. :D

Say it with me: C.H.R.O.N.O.S.O...damn that's a lot of letters :smoking:

audioguy3107 08-29-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 977739)

Jim - Can’t wait to hear your impressions......gotta figure out if I want to go ahead with the upgrade eventually.

- Buck

Still-One 08-29-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 977742)
Say it with me: C.H.R.O.N.O.S.O...damn that's a lot of letters :smoking:

Not for me. I am very happy with my speakers and I can't see spending those dollars for an upgrade I am not seeking.

Antonmb 08-29-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 977739)

I think you’re going to like it.[emoji106]

Still-One 08-30-2019 03:17 PM

I now have it home. I hope to get it set-up in my system before I head to the game tomorrow afternoon. Should be able to get a couple of quick shots and some listening in on Sunday. :banana:

zettelsm 08-31-2019 12:15 PM

The sample size is slowly growing. . .

I'll be very interested in reading your impressions, Jim. My Momentum got back from the HD upgrade two days ago but I've been so doggone busy I haven't had a chance to unpack it yet. I know -- where are my priorities, right?

Planning on getting it out of the flight-case and back in the rack in the next hour or two and letting it warm up before giving a listen later this afternoon or evening.

Like you, I've been enjoying my music directly from Vivaldi to Momentum amp. Very transparent and well, direct-sounding that way. But perhaps missing the last nth of weight and body without the preamp. We'll hear soon enough.

Steve

Still-One 09-01-2019 01:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few quick shots of my set-up with the new HD Pre-amp.

Franklmu 09-01-2019 03:13 PM

Absolutely gorgeous [emoji7]
Congrats Jim

crwilli 09-01-2019 03:53 PM

It’s a beauty Jim!

SCAudiophile 09-01-2019 03:54 PM

Congratulations..looks beautiful!

Still-One 09-01-2019 04:10 PM

Even during the initial phase of break in I notice much more weight to the music.

Masterlu 09-01-2019 04:35 PM

Jim... Huge Congrats! Enjoy it in the best of health.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...8&d=1567359903

zettelsm 09-01-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 978155)
Even during the initial phase of break in I notice much more weight to the music.

I’m with you, Jim. Though I only had four or five hours on my HD last night when I sat down to listen, I was immediately struck by how much more tonal density and solidity the HD brings to the music in comparison to running the Vivaldi short-stack straight into the S250 amp. Vivid is a word that comes to mind.

And, the HD sounds very dynamic. In fact Dan makes a comment in the foreward to the new owners manual to exercise some caution with the level control when starting out. Some of this might be higher overall gain than the original Momentum preamp, and indeed I found myself happily listening at lower level settings than typical before the upgrade, but I also found when I tried pushing the envelope a bit that l could listen at very high levels without any hardening or congestion occurring.

So far I’m very pleased with the HD upgrade. If it continues to improve with more hours I’ll be a very happy camper.

Steve Z

For The Love of Music 09-01-2019 10:57 PM

It really is a nice piece, enjoy!

Charles 09-01-2019 11:24 PM

Congrats Jim! You have a beautiful system and the new pre is gorgeous. It looks almost as large and heavy as your Momentum's. The X-2 is really efficient and easy to drive, a great advantage to any system.

Still-One 09-02-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 978215)
Congrats Jim! You have a beautiful system and the new pre is gorgeous. It looks almost as large and heavy as your Momentum's. The X-2 is really efficient and easy to drive, a great advantage to any system.

You are correct. The pre is almost the exact size of the M-400’s just that it is turned with the long side forward. The pre with the power supply is heavy. Fortunately it is easier to handle with the separate and heavy power supply.

jdandy 09-02-2019 12:32 AM

Jim.......I'm guessing you're still up listening. . :chillin:

audioguy3107 09-02-2019 10:08 AM

I'm not gonna be able to resist the upgrade, question is when......do any of you guys know what the turnaround time is for upgrading a standard Momentum pre?

- Buck

Still-One 09-02-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 978252)
I'm not gonna be able to resist the upgrade, question is when......do any of you guys know what the turnaround time is for upgrading a standard Momentum pre?

- Buck

I hear two and half to three weeks including shipping time. Ritmo just had his completed.

Still-One 09-02-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 978222)
Jim.......I'm guessing you're still up listening. . :chillin:

Dan
I had just gone to bed when I had added that post. :D

zettelsm 09-02-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

- Buck

I sent mine in 8/10/19 and it came back 8/27/19, Buck. So about 2 1/2 weeks from NW WA to Cave Creek AZ and back.

Steve

For The Love of Music 09-02-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

- Buck

I know right, but for me not until next year.

Turnaround is relatively quick as it is scheduled supported by a good number of people working there in a clean open space.