AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ayre K5 XE MP / V5 xe mini review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44307)

Jerome W 11-11-2018 03:02 AM

Ayre K5 XE MP / V5 xe mini review

2 Attachment(s)
Hello folks,

I am using this combo in my living room system, with the Audio Note AN-J Spe / Hemp / Silver coils speakers.
I first received the K5 XE MP preamp. And used it with my Shindo CCQs monoblocks. The sound was extremely satisfying. Not as rich sounding as with a Shindo preamp, but the K5 let obviously the Shindo monoblocks express their delicious sound without coming into the way.
Then came the V5xe power amplifier.
When cold, the few hours were extremely disappointing. The sound was sterile, no weight, with terribly aggressive treble. I even wrote an advert to sell the whole combo. I could not believe the raving reviews I read about them. I could not imagine the amp sounding good when warm or hot.
As much as I love my little AX7e integrated, I was just hating this sound.
I let it play all night. The cats do love classical music and sweet pop ( Simon and Garfunkel get their full attention ) at all times.
In the morning I entered the room. What the hell ???
I never just listened to any SS gear sounding so good. It is extremely close from my 300B Western Electric monoblocks in terms of listening pleasure.
By very far the best SS set up I ever heard. No matter the price. I think that Mr. Charles Hansen ( RIP) was just a genius. Even my beloved Nagra MSA is far from this level of reproduction. The Dartzeel CTH too. Maybe that the Nagra Classic amp could be close to it but I am really not sure.
The Accuphase A65 power amp is also defeated here.
I guess that only Ayre amps / preamps higher in the line could sound better than this combo.
In one phrase it sounds rich, velvety, transparent, powerful, involving. Most of all, this combo SINGS SINGS SINGS. And makes you addicted and willing to listen to all your recordings.

Sources are Pink Triangle Anniv TT / SME V / Koetsu Rosewood into LFD MC1 phono stage and McIntosh MDA 1000 dac.

Attachment 57106
Attachment 57107

FDPDK 11-11-2018 07:10 AM

Hi Jerome

Congratulations with your new Ayre , and great to hear your impressions.

Jerome W 11-11-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDPDK (Post 939829)
Hi Jerome

Congratulations with your new Ayre , and great to hear your impressions.

Thank you !!

Masterlu 11-11-2018 11:22 AM

Jerome... I am happy to read about your wonderful experience.

will 11-11-2018 02:02 PM

Glad that you really like your Ayre gear, Jerome.

djwhog 11-11-2018 02:59 PM

Congratulations with your Ayre gear, enjoy:)

Jerome W 11-11-2018 03:40 PM

Thank you my friends !

essjay 11-20-2018 11:39 AM

Ayre kit does take a while to warm up and sound its best as you have discovered. I am very glad you discovered this before making this mistake of selling it off.

Dsholl1 12-13-2018 05:15 PM

Any updates Jerome?

Jerome W 01-21-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsholl1 (Post 944592)
Any updates Jerome?

Hello,

Yes.
The Ayre combo just sounds glorious in this system with the Audio Note AN-J.
A London audiophile made the trip yesterday from London to Paris, to listen to my main system.
Then he wanted to hear the second system with the AN-J and Ayre gear. He was completely in love with the sound. He said " I never heard AN speakers sounding so good. I would have never imagined them paired with Ayre. I could easily live with such a system".
The terrific point with Ayre is imho the ability to sound very neutral and transparent, yet with a degree of musicality that is very rare to reach with SS gear.
These electronics really shine.