AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Video (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Why 4K TV's are stupid (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26148)

redm 04-05-2014 10:28 AM

Why 4K TV's are stupid

There's an interesting writeup by CNET on this topic.

4K looks great up close, anyone here with 4K TV's have any thoughts? I especially found it interesting where he A/B'd a 1080P and a 720P TV and no one picked up on it (due to size of screen and distance).

Masterlu 04-05-2014 10:37 AM

Derek... I have new Sony 55" 4K TV that I will be installing in the next week or so in my Florida home.

redm 04-05-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 596460)
Derek... I have new Sony 55" 4K TV that I will be installing in the next week or so in my Florida home.

:lurk:

Sent from my iPhone

kev313 04-05-2014 02:30 PM

I've had a 65" Sony 4k at ~ 8-9 ft distance for a few months. It's ok. Lack of content is an issue. It was a forced replacement for a new Panny plasma that developed a burn in after 3 months. The Panny killed this sony in overall pq. Killed it.

jbaudio68 04-05-2014 09:49 PM

Just bought a samsung 9000 65 inch (4k). I did not pay any extra so it was a no brainer to upgrade from an 8000 model. On top of resolution (which seems sometimes better sometimes the same) I am finding the 4k set to be of better build. People can't hear 22khz and can't see 4k but sometimes other things are involved that make the viewing/listening experience better. Much the same as in audio where people say "use your ears", I say "use your eyes".

BlueFox 04-05-2014 10:28 PM

While I don't have a 4K TV, I think the trend toward ever increasing resolution is a good thing. I suspect his reasoning is flawed when he equates the ability see a pixel from your seat as all that is needed for a TV size/resolution; i.e. since you cannot see a 720p pixel at 10', you don't need a 1080P or 4K TV.

To me, it would seem if you can get, for example, 4 pixels into the space of 1 pixel on a current TV, then the picture will be sharper, brighter, clearer, and more detailed. Of course, you really need this resolution on a plasma, or OLED, to reap the benefits.

Dr. Sleep 04-05-2014 10:43 PM

I saw a bunch of them at CES this year. Content is an issue but when you get some really high rez content, especially with metallic overtones, I could really see the difference.

thughes 04-06-2014 09:31 AM

The review is nonsense. Anyone who has actually seen these sets can tell a difference. The biggest problem is still a lack of content, and that issue probably awaits a decision about hard media such a blu-ray versus streaming or digital download.

o0OBillO0o 06-18-2014 09:27 AM

How about this chart on visual acuity vs distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.png

for a 65" 4K TV you'd have to sit closer than 4' to resolve the differences that 4K has to offer.

Right, now I'll pass- it's a marketing gimmick.

ref: CarltonBale.com » Does 4K Resolution Matter?

Ankkor 06-18-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 616407)
How about this chart on visual acuity vs distance. for a 65" 4K TV you'd have to sit closer than 4' to resolve the differences that 4K has to offer. Right, now I'll pass- it's a marketing gimmick. ref: CarltonBale.com » Does 4K Resolution Matter?

I disagree - we put in a 65" Samsung 4k and are still trying to get used to the sharper resolution with regular TV and DVD's. You see every detail and it is startling. The movies are alive, and the people are real. The vocals in the center channel of the HT system are more differentiated - obviously not because of better audio quality, but because you can see them talking better - you see their lips move and therefore your brain relates better to the characters. Their words are real and alive and your brain adjusts with better attention. A tremendous upgrade.