AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Olympica III or??? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45340)

rjryan 03-13-2019 09:44 PM

Olympica III or???

It's time to upgrade my trusty Tyler D2's. I'm leaning toward the Olympica IIIs as they are within my price range, and I've always loved the SF sound.

Can anyone comment on the scale that these play with? My room is 17' 5/8W X 33 1/2L X 9'H and I'm concerned that they may not fill the space. They would be coupled with a pair of REL S5's, and would be part of a hybrid system with an Olympica Center and REL T5i.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

McDaddy 03-14-2019 06:39 AM

I have an even larger room than that with our open floor plan living room feeding into multiple areas of our home and the Olympica III’s provide plenty of scale. You will love these speakers...they serve double duty in my system as HT and 2 channel and I’m still giddy every single time I turn on my system after one year of ownership (which is everyday).

rjryan 03-14-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaddy (Post 957197)
I have an even larger room than that with our open floor plan living room feeding into multiple areas of our home and the Olympica III’s provide plenty of scale. You will love these speakers...they serve double duty in my system as HT and 2 channel and I’m still giddy every single time I turn on my system after one year of ownership (which is everyday).

Thanks for your insight, McDaddy. This is kind of a leap of faith in that I’ve heard the Olympica II on several occasions and loved them, but have not had ears on the O3.

joey_v 03-14-2019 09:32 AM

I have the O3 in a family room and open kitchen setting. I have no qualms

rjryan 03-14-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 957212)
I have the O3 in a family room and open kitchen setting. I have no qualms

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting the sense that these will be just fine in my space.

r0b 03-19-2019 08:11 PM

The Olympica III works well in my open floor plan space!

If it helps you, I typically listen ~60-70db for normal enjoyment and ~80-90db when I need to feel it lol. How loud are you expecting?

I’ve paired it with one JL Audio F112 (v1) yet only really need/appreciate the sub for some low end and infrasonic electronica. Most of my jazz and pipe organ pieces already sound great through the O3s.

It is powered via Parasound A21; I’m thinking your McIntosh will be an excellent match given what many on this forum say about the brand.

My living room / listening room itself is ~17’ wide and 21’ deep, extending back another 20’, and wider to a hallway and dining area. ~9’H. The speakers are about 4’ into the room.

rjryan 03-19-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0b (Post 957879)
The Olympica III works well in my open floor plan space!

If it helps you, I typically listen ~60-70db for normal enjoyment and ~80-90db when I need to feel it lol. How loud are you expecting?

I’ve paired it with one JL Audio F112 (v1) yet only really need/appreciate the sub for some low end and infrasonic electronica. Most of my jazz and pipe organ pieces already sound great through the O3s.

It is powered via Parasound A21; I’m thinking your McIntosh will be an excellent match given what many on this forum say about the brand.

My living room / listening room itself is ~17’ wide and 21’ deep, extending back another 20’, and wider to a hallway and dining area. ~9’H. The speakers are about 4’ into the room.

Thanks for the info!
I seldom listen too loud, but movies and classical music can have a pretty wide dynamic range.

This helps solidify my choice!

Ryan

Mouse 03-25-2019 10:49 PM

I'll go against the grain.
I had a home theater in the basement, in a room a little bigger than yours, and open to a hall.
I struggled with low bass, and my speakers sounded a bit bright.
I've heard O3 sound awesome in several listening rooms before.

To recapture as much bass as possible I upgraded cables and jumpers, professional speaker placement, and bass traps. Sound absorption and diffusion panels to reduce the overly bright sound reflections bouncing off the wall. I still needed subwoofers, but the end result was amazing.

I do like them otherwise. I even bought another pair for my office.

bigblue 03-27-2019 08:32 AM

The O3 are really superb. I had them in our living room (24x17x12) with good success. But to really create a full experience where they fill the room - they where too small. At that time they where powered by Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 (2x800W).
I have since changed to the Amati Futura and they have way bigger capacity to fill my room. Now I not only hear the music - I also feel it. And the Gryphon Diablo 300 has certainly added an even tighter base control to the set up.
Any ways, that was just my experience. What ever way you choose I'm sure you will be pleased with the system.

rjryan 03-28-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 958588)
I'll go against the grain.
I had a home theater in the basement, in a room a little bigger than yours, and open to a hall.
I struggled with low bass, and my speakers sounded a bit bright.
I've heard O3 sound awesome in several listening rooms before.

To recapture as much bass as possible I upgraded cables and jumpers, professional speaker placement, and bass traps. Sound absorption and diffusion panels to reduce the overly bright sound reflections bouncing off the wall. I still needed subwoofers, but the end result was amazing.

I do like them otherwise. I even bought another pair for my office.

System and room synergy is always a gamble, for sure. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!