AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MS750 SSD Drive Upgrade (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27171)

fritzcurtis 06-16-2014 06:00 PM

MS750 SSD Drive Upgrade

Well, I think I have finally cracked the code for the Solid State Drive upgrade. I bought a used MS750 on ebay that had just been sent of to Panurgy for service. It has the 1 TB update done to it. Naturally, the first thing I had to do when I got it was crack the case to see how the heck they did it. They are using a StarTech IDE to SATA adapter model IDE2SAT. You can find it on Amazon for 25 bucks. I then copied their 1 tb drive (they are using a Seagate enterpise edition drive model Consellation ES.3) to a Samsung 840 EVO-series 1 TB 2.5 SATA III Solid State Drive. I used a Silverstone Tek 3.5 to 2.5 Hard Drive Bay Converter to place the drive in to make it look completely stock. I copied the files on my StarTech Drive Replicator (mentioned in an earlier thread).

What I can say is I have been playing music for 3 days now without issue. I used the Samsung drive because not only is it the cheapest SSD drive out at 400 bucks, it is also the slowest which I think actually helps the MS750 from skipping, etc. I know this was an issue from someone else to tried to do this upgrade. I do notice a huge improvement in accessing data and scrolling thru my database of 550 plus CDs. Internet radio also works flawlessly. I will report back with any know issues. By the way their drive was empty from music, so I linked my other MS750 via the remote server connection to listen. I have also loaded a few CDs to listen for any issues. If problems, I can simply load the Panurgy drive back in, but for now what a huge difference.

fritzcurtis 06-16-2014 06:12 PM

By the way, I will also take the new MS750 to Ft. Worth Audio to put the new front display in. My other MS750 with the new display in looks soooo much brighter and clearer. This one is fine, but the ADD in me is telling me the vacuum display needs to be new and updated. Then this puppy will have fan upgrade, SSD upgrade and VFD upgrade.

Masterlu 06-16-2014 06:35 PM

Nice going! Thanks for updating us. :ok:

Mfirst 06-16-2014 07:16 PM

This sounds very interesting and worth considering since I got my MS750 back from Panurgy a short time ago and have the SATA & 1 tb upgrade........

please keep us in the loop...... upgrading to a SSD - and assuming increased reliability and speed comes with it - can be a huge step in bringing this outdated system into something closer to modern tech.

-michael

Mfirst 06-16-2014 07:19 PM

do you think this would work with smaller SSD drives?

would loading an empty (MS-DOS formatted) SSD and the Golden disc work?

-m

New to Mac 06-16-2014 08:29 PM

Does the drive replicator copy the operating system as well as all the music files?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

fritzcurtis 06-17-2014 12:15 AM

Yes duplicator copies everything from your original drive. Operating system and music files. I don't see why this wouldn't work with a smaller drive. I don't think it would work with any larger as system board is set for 1 TB max. Also, cost goes thru the roof for an SSD larger than 1 TB.

fritzcurtis 06-17-2014 12:17 AM

I basically did not format the SSD. I took it out of the box and stuck it on the destination side of the duplicator and took the Panurgy 1 TB drive and stuck it on the source side and 3 1/2 hrs later it was completed.

New to Mac 06-17-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis (Post 616054)
Yes duplicator copies everything from your original drive. Operating system and music files. I don't see why this wouldn't work with a smaller drive. I don't think it would work with any larger as system board is set for 1 TB max. Also, cost goes thru the roof for an SSD larger than 1 TB.

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm not an IT guy. For the avoidance of doubt, using the duplicator means that I wouldn't need to track down the Golden Disc and reload the operating system, and all that entails - correct? Thanks in advance for entertaining my stupid questions.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

fritzcurtis 06-17-2014 05:18 PM

No need for the Golden disk as long as your MSXXX is currently working. This update simply moves every file off of your current drive on to the new one.