AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lamm M1.2 Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=257)

PHC1 04-14-2009 01:01 AM

Lamm M1.2 Review

While there are quite a few reviews out there of the Lamm M1.2s, this is my favorite. I thought D. Olsher did a great job reviewing them without resorting to being too wax-poetic. To the point and with a good background information on the hybrid topology and design as well as what it is that makes these amps special.

http://www.lammindustries.com/review...dec%202008.pdf

jdandy 04-14-2009 08:54 AM

Serge.......Good read. The new "Reference" amp?

PHC1 04-14-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 3857)
Serge.......Good read. The new "Reference" amp?

There can never be one universal "Reference" amp as the market is constantly evolving in high end audio. System synergy is an elusive and often a difficult thing to nail down. I don't think we really know and understand any of the components we own fully. Just when one thinks he has the handle on things, swap out the preamp or the source and things will change in a hurry. Some of the results will be surprising and counterintuitive.

Pick an amp to drive your speakers well and if the things still don't work out you'll wind up blaming the speakers or the amp. Throw a different preamp in to the mix and suddenly there is better synergy, so it wasn't the amp and speakers after all. It can be frustrating or fun, depending on how you look at it. So a "reference" amp is an elusive term as well. It could very well be "reference" for some and not synergize very well for others.

Having said that, I still think that an amp/speaker combo is the framework of the whole system. It anchors the system around some point around which other components can be added that compliment each other and the rest of the system.

The best preamp or a source in the world can't shine in one's system if the speakers don't work well in your room or your amp can't bring out the very best of your speakers, on the other hand, you will not tap into the performance capabilities of your amp and speakers if your preamp is veiled or the source is only so so.

So is the Lamm M1.2 a Reference? It is a Reference in the eyes of its creator as far as his hybrid designs go, I guess it is also a Reference in the eyes of many a reviewer and it seems to have hit the sweet spot in my system as well. One thing for sure, I have not heard so many positive attributes from any one single amp so far (ok, two since they are monoblocks :D.) So it is a Reference for me as well, at least for the time being. :music:

Yardbird 04-14-2009 04:40 PM

Serge, I found this and other reviews at the Lamm website. I just reread this one and agree, it is unusually clear and free of the hyperbole reviewers often use.

The point that really interests me is the Lamms detailed, but natural tonality that, because of its ability to effectively couple with practically any speaker load impedance, it can deliver equally well to all frequencies, under all practical operating conditions. No roll off at one point or another that can change an amplifier's tonal characteristics with a given speaker. (come to think of it, sounds like mcintosh...!)

I know you are aware of some of the inherent difficulties in bi-amping which, with my system, I was willing to work to overcome, to realize some of the benefits described in this review of a hybrid power amp. It seems to provide the best of both worlds! ...and pure Class A all the way...

It looks like you have made your preamp decision, since you've changed your signature lineup. Are you going to post your comparision findings? Ted.

PHC1 04-14-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yardbird (Post 3990)
Serge, I found this and other reviews at the Lamm website. I just reread this one and agree, it is unusually clear and free of the hyperbole reviewers often use.

The point that really interests me is the Lamms detailed, but natural tonality that, because of its ability to effectively couple with practically any speaker load impedance, it can deliver equally well to all frequencies, under all practical operating conditions. No roll off at one point or another that can change an amplifier's tonal characteristics with a given speaker. (come to think of it, sounds like mcintosh...!)

I know you are aware of some of the inherent difficulties in bi-amping which, with my system, I was willing to work to overcome, to realize some of the benefits described in this review of a hybrid power amp. It seems to provide the best of both worlds! ...and pure Class A all the way...

It looks like you have made your preamp decision, since you've changed your signature lineup. Are you going to post your comparision findings? Ted.

Ted, I have made a decision with the preamp. It was rather easy as the KX-R brought out some serious performance out of my Lamm's. I actually prefered it to Lamm's own preamp in my system. You can find the Ayre, Lamm and McIntosh preamp comparison here... http://audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=137 As you can probably tell, I am not exactly brand loyal but simply looking for some serious performance and trying to squeeze the last ounce out of my system. :D

Still-One 04-14-2009 05:04 PM

The term reference has a least two meanings in Audio.
For a reviewer, his Reference system does not have to be of the highest quality or best available gear. It is a collection of gear that he is very familiar with and against which he can make valid comparisons. Does the product under review do this or that better, worse or different than his reference system. Sometimes these reviewers like a review product so much that the product is introduced into their reference system.

For manufacturers a Reference Product is usually an accumulation of their best efforts in a given area. Audio Research has their Reference line, so does MBL and McItnosh's would appear to be the 2K system.

Yardbird 04-14-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 4000)
Ted, I have made a decision with the preamp. It was rather easy as the KX-R brought out some serious performance out of my Lamm's. I actually prefered it to Lamm's own preamp in my system. You can find the Ayre, Lamm and McIntosh preamp comparison here... http://audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=137 As you can probably tell, I am not exactly brand loyal but simply looking for some serious performance and trying to squeeze the last ounce out of my system. :D

Thanks, Serge. I was out of the loop this past (holiday) weekend, so I'm playing catch up. I'll give it a read! Ted.

Masterlu 04-14-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 4001)
The term reference has a least two meanings in Audio.
For a reviewer, his Reference system does not have to be of the highest quality or best available gear. It is a collection of gear that he is very familiar with and against which he can make valid comparisons. Does the product under review do this or that better, worse or different than his reference system. Sometimes these reviewers like a review product so much that the product is introduced into their reference system.

For manufacturers a Reference Product is usually an accumulation of their best efforts in a given area. Audio Research has their Reference line, so does MBL and McItnosh's would appear to be the 2K system.

You forgot the 3rd possible meaning: Expensive!

Still-One 04-14-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 4103)
You forgot the 3rd possible meaning: Expensive!

Exactly as with the 2K's , and the MBL's,

PHC1 04-14-2009 10:34 PM

Hmm, the Lamm's are 1/3 the price of 2KWs and 1/2 the price of MBL's 9008's for example. :D I also got a very fair deal and saved much $$$ over the retail. :thumbsup: