AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Yikes! Sony posts $2.1 billion dollar loss. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28428)

audioguy3107 09-23-2014 12:30 PM

Yikes! Sony posts $2.1 billion dollar loss.

Wow, 2.1 billion dollar loss for Sony. Ouch. They seem to have really lost their way, I've always loved their video products but it seems the smartphone market is hurting them.....heck, I didn't even know they made a smartphone.

Sony Tumbles as $2.1 Billion Loss Limits Hirai

- Buck

BlueFox 09-23-2014 12:44 PM

Ever since the MBAs took over the company from the engineers it has been downhill.

cma29 09-23-2014 12:55 PM

Sony just does not seem to offer many products that are not commoditized. The $ is in "must-have" product that that can be priced at a premium. TVs and mass-market audio products will not cut it for them.

The only product I can think of that they produce that makes some people excited is the Play Station.

chessman 09-23-2014 01:22 PM

Except for Playstation, Sony lost me when they refused to acknowledge that my brand new TV was defective (state of the art at the time rear projection would blow up the bulb in ordinary use for a couple of months). If you don't support your products, you lose your customers. I have been through three PS3's, but what can I say, I have a small Call of Duty addiction. ;)

harri009 09-23-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 639953)
Except for Playstation, Sony lost me when they refused to acknowledge that my brand new TV was defective (state of the art at the time rear projection would blow up the bulb in ordinary use for a couple of months). If you don't support your products, you lose your customers. I have been through three PS3's, but what can I say, I have a small Call of Duty addiction. ;)

I think the first one was the best built. I have had the original running without hiccup since day one. My buddy did the midnight line thing and bought 2 of them so I got one the first day. His is still running strong without issue as well. It was nice as my Xbox buddies were going through about an average of 6 xboxs per guy due to the ring of death lol.

Yamaki 09-23-2014 03:47 PM

I can't think of any significant product I've purchased from Sony in quite some time, with the notable exception of the new TV. And that was quite a tossup between them and Samsung.

The whole Sony-Ericsson consumer goods plan was a total flop.

antipop 09-23-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 639978)
The whole Sony-Ericsson consumer goods plan was a total flop.

Two losers never made a winner !

I do like their TVs though (way more than the shiny Samsung picture)

Toobs 09-23-2014 05:31 PM

I was a long time Sony fan until I bought their XBR850B television in July. It was a piece of crap. The one I received as a replacement was worse than the first one. It was returned for a refund and I now own a Samsung UN55H8000 hdtv(marvelous tv).

Sony has definitely lost their way and also have lost a life long customer:icon_thumbsdown::icon_thumbsdown:

Dom_P 09-23-2014 07:02 PM

I seem to be in the minority right now.

I made a recent purchase of of an HW55ES projector and am extremely happy with it!

I've got to think Sony has quite a few product groups, so let's not throw the baby out with the bath water :)

radio times 09-24-2014 02:06 AM

They have always been the King of Mp3, and their new run of headphones,amps, DAC's and Daps is right up there. I've been Sony in this domain for many years, an oasis of quality in the mobile and semi mobile market.