AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Any Sony ES Fans? Thoughts on Sony CDP-555ESD? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27419)

Eduardo Hydes 07-05-2014 02:07 AM

Any Sony ES Fans? Thoughts on Sony CDP-555ESD?

Recently just snagged this cd player and i am curious of its history. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any Sony ES fans?

http://www.hi-fi.ru/upload/resize_ca...949f9f0ab8.JPG

Eduardo Hydes 07-05-2014 02:11 AM

Forgot to mention I've never had a cd player that is built like a tank. Also has these neat looking transformers in the back.

http://www.hi-fi.ru/upload/iblock/24...e132be03c5.jpg

jdandy 07-05-2014 11:10 AM

Eduardo.......The Sony CDP-555ESD was manufactured in 1986. This makes it nearly a 3 decade old CD player. It was considered a high-end player and was Sony's first CD player that had digital output. That is what the D in the 555ESD stood for. It is a dinosaur by todays standards of digital audio performance. In 1987 the MSRP was $1500.00.

Eduardo Hydes 07-05-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 621109)
Eduardo.......The Sony CDP-555ESD was manufactured in 1986. This makes it nearly a 3 decade old CD player. It was considered a high-end player and was Sony's first CD player that had digital output. That is what the D in the 555ESD stood for. It is a dinosaur by todays standards of digital audio performance. In 1987 the MSRP was $1500.00.

Thanks for the information! Just looking to see if there were other members with similar players also.

Best, Eduardo.

GaryProtein 07-05-2014 11:40 PM

I have a 1984 ReVox CD player that recently had its D-A converter die. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know it isn't worth trying to find a replacement part. . . . or is it?

AudioNut 07-06-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 621109)

Checking with my friendly inflation calculator . . . the cost of that excellent CD player today, adjusted for inflation would be . . . $3,141.29

GaryProtein 07-07-2014 07:57 AM

With regard to CD player pricing, if I recall, in 1987, a cheap component CD player was still $500. Now, even with inflation you can get one for under $100.

Formerly YB-2 08-30-2014 04:11 PM

My brother has a quite similar Sony, but my memory is that it is a 702 or 705. Think it may be a generation older with no digital outs. While old (a dinosaur?) by today's standards, they still provide excellent sound to my ears and were definitely state-of-the-art at the time. Sony was the primary developer (along with Philips) of the CD. The problem with them is that the lasers used in all CDPs of any sort are a wear item. And you will be hard put to find one if yours goes. That and the fact that they are mechanical and mechanical things wear out/break. Good luck with it.

bvdiman 08-30-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduardo Hdez (Post 621054)
Recently just snagged this cd player and i am curious of its history. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any Sony ES fans?

One of the better sounding single box player in its days along with Micro Seiki, ime. Used one (CDP-557ESD) for almost 5yrs circa '86-'91 before moving on to separates.
Strong bass, good dynamic/resolution, nicely balanced, ok mid, albeit a tad bit harsh on top--perhaps part of problem was also due to mostly poor/anemic recordings of those early digital years. I 'tamed' said problem using mellower cabling and amps (tube EL34s/SS class-A).

Always reliable and worked flawlessly throughout its duty. However, optical assembly tends to weakened/needs to be replaced within 3-5yrs of use. For that, you better check parts availability prior as I've found it to be scarcer by day. My later experience using the dCS Verdi transport (same opt.assy.), as of couple of years ago, sourcing an original Sony factory sealed NOS unit is a pain. Alternatively, buying from e-bay is cheap, only about $50 a pop (HK/China origin), unfortunately out of five ordered--only one worked OK, and even then, that only lasted me less than two years--good enough actually considering its cost, but hated the hassle.

Toccata 08-31-2014 04:18 PM

I had one and loved it. As I recall, it was one of the few that could access index points...remember those? :D I absolutely love my current 5400ES--I would love it even more if it had a faster fast forward speed, but that's a small niggle.