AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   What turntables are y'all using with your Shindo? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41147)

JayBass 11-12-2017 02:09 PM

What turntables are y'all using with your Shindo?

Just curious what turntables, tonearms and cartridges everyone is using with their Shindo rigs and whether they are happy with them or looking to make a change?
Thanks

fjn04 11-12-2017 07:52 PM

Been VERY quiet here. Using Amadeus GTA /TSD-15 and also Charisma Denon 103. I've listened to a few different turntables in the last few years. I heard what may have been technically better, but it lost me on emotion. I'm not suggesting the Amadeus is the end game, but for me, it does a whole lot right. I have been timid to go vintage which may may very well be the ticket. I did it with Valencia 846A's, and that was a move I'm so happy I made.

DesW 11-13-2017 01:42 AM

Hi, I've owned a few other TTs with Shindo Pre/A23/Amps /etc and for the synergy you need to consider your listening priorities --for dynamics , slam, attack and around balls you cannot go past the Masters creation the Shindo 301TT system--for "belt drive" nuances ,sweetness, subtle tones-- I used a Dr. Feickert TT, Kuzma 4point, Madake MC

You pick ya poison--its over to you

Good luck

D

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/team201/...r_Feickert.jpg

JayBass 11-13-2017 04:07 PM

Tt's

Only two replies?!
I realize there is a vinyl thread on here, but it is a coupla years old.
Surely more people can chime in...

Mikado463 11-13-2017 05:57 PM

Shindo what ?

Formerly YB-2 11-13-2017 06:14 PM

Let me speak for Art Dudley (:D), who uses a Garrard 301 and Thorens 124 (both refurbished rim-drive TTs) with his Shindo rig. IIRC, his favored cartridges are the Ortofon SPU and Denon DL-103. He stated in the last review (this month's magazine?) of his that I have read that he is upgrading to a new Shindo piece (don't recall which). Believe he also has a Garrard 498(?) and Linn LP-12 on the shelf.

restock 11-14-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesW (Post 879376)
for dynamics , slam, attack and around balls .....for "belt drive" nuances ,sweetness,....

For all of the above I used a DPS Number 2 turntable, Schroeder No. 2 arm with either an EMT TSD15 or an Allaerts MC1B cartridge.

This was running into a A23 T2, Shindo Giscours, Cortese, Haut Brion, DeVore O/96.

No wish to upgrade the DPS - in fact the Shindo has moved on and the DPS is still around ;)

For more info on the DPS read Art Dudley’s review at Stereophile....

JayBass 11-14-2017 04:49 PM

Thanks for the above replies.
As for myself, for the past coupla years, I have been using a Garrard 301 in a Woodsong Audio plinth with an Ortofon TA-210 tonearm, along with a couple of different cartridges, but mainly the EMT TSD15 into an Auditorium 23 T2 SUT.
Very very good, but lately I have been thinking that I may be missing some nuance and sweetness, as you guys have mentioned. May keep things as they are, but ya never know...

restock 11-14-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBass (Post 879610)
Thanks for the above replies.
As for myself, for the past coupla years, I have been using a Garrard 301 in a Woodsong Audio plinth with an Ortofon TA-210 tonearm, along with a couple of different cartridges, but mainly the EMT TSD15 into an Auditorium 23 T2 SUT.
Very very good, but lately I have been thinking that I may be missing some nuance and sweetness, as you guys have mentioned. May keep things as they are, but ya never know...

For more nuance, I would suggest moving up the EMT line - the JSD S75 provides a lot more detail than the basic TSD15 (but I would not consider it sweeter). The T2 certainly can handle the extra detail and resolution.

JPrest 11-14-2017 06:52 PM

Steve Dobbins Garrard 301 with Reed 2p tonearm and Sound Smith Denon 103R, I also use Loricraft 401 PSU ( I had Masseto and Cortese units )