AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Aperture II Experience (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43545)

advanced101 08-11-2018 08:33 AM

Aperture II Experience

Received 3 Aperture II Panels yesterday, thanks Ivan. Spent the night experimenting.

I was one of those that bought a bunch of room treatments and blindly installed them relying on Manufacturers recommendations. It wasn't until one day I decided I was unhappy with the room and started to remove panels that I realized I was actually hurting the sound. Since then it has been a struggle to obtain a good balance of damping and liveliness. I ended up with 3x 2'x2' (GIK Alphas) panels at the first side wall reflection points and panels covering the front windows. I have 2'x4'x1" panels behind my blinds covering the windows. I don't have a need for bass traps. My bass is a bit on the fat side but I prefer it this way. This was the best I could achieve. But overall I felt the sound was fake, for lack of a better term.

The next thing I did was install hardwood in the front 7' of the room, based off Mike Lavigne's experiences. The wood is reclaimed 50+ year old maple. This was my first revelation. The sound became much more real. I bought another 200 sq. ft. of maple and intend to install more. I will get a wool area rug around 8'x10' to go between the speakers and my listening position. Then I will experiment with different ceiling treatment. I predict getting rid of the standard carpeting I have will improve the SQ. I always assumed carpet was good for the sound until I removed it.

Yesterday I received 3x Stillpoints Aperture Panels. More experimenting. I tried to combine the Aperture with my GIK panels. Like others, I preferred using only the Apertures.

For the front of the room I put one panel behind the table. This resulted in a very small but noticeable improvement. Mainly, the center image improved, slightly. Better focus of the center image. Keep in mind my speakers are 6' from the front wall.

The biggest change is when I installed the panels at the first sidewall reflection points. For the first 30 minutes my brain was trying to process the dramatic change. The entire presentation was much more natural, in a way I have been searching for with other tweaks and upgrades. I am still dumbfounded in what they did. I have tried all kinds of treatments for that location. Absorption, Diffusion, combo units. I temporarily put them on same old speaker stands, they happen to be very close to the ideal height.

After spending hours listening I don't know what else to say. I have been put off by the pricing of the panels. $800 MSRP is crazy for a 2' x 2' panel. But if I look at how much I have spent on other things and got less of an improvement they were well worth the money. As for looks, the panels are nice. The Walnut on the Apertures is rich in color. The finish is nicer than my Timbernation Walnut stand and approaches my Reclaimed Maple Floor, which I hold in high regard.

I'm a big fan of Stillpoints. I use the Ultra SS in black under my speakers (Bought used here on AA), Ultra SS under my TT and I have 2 Stillpoints LPIs. I will purchase 2 more panels in a few months and continue experimenting. I am interested in how another panel at each Sidewall reflection point or a panel in front of the other two windows will perform. For now, I am happy.

https://i.imgur.com/3MPMgIQ.png
Koetsu Blue Lace--FR-64S--Artisan Fidelity 301--EAR 868PL--EAR 509 Monos--Daedalus Orpheus--Duelund Cabling--WW PCs--Stillpoints
Room Dimensions: 40'+L (Open to back of house), 14'W, 9'H

Masterlu 08-11-2018 08:58 AM

Lloyd... I am glad to know you are pleased with your Aperture II Panels. I also use them, and was very impressed.

crwilli 08-11-2018 09:51 AM

Lloyd, it is not clear how tall your ceiling is and I know it is hard to test it but you might try floating something from your ceiling. In my old room, that made a great positive improvement in the sound stage. Craig

advanced101 08-11-2018 10:18 AM

My ceilings are 9'. I currently have 4 GIK Gridfusors on the ceiling and wouldn't want anything lower. I may try Vicoustic Cinema rounds or some Wavewood Premiums that I have laying around.

crwilli 08-11-2018 12:26 PM

That’s great. The GIK Gridfusors should be doing the job.

dixon007 08-11-2018 12:37 PM

These appear to be very good. I’ve not read about how they perform behind the listener position. Does anyone have an experiences to share.