AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Please Recommend Me a Cartridge (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42807)

Audiophilehi 04-24-2018 05:11 PM

Please Recommend Me a Cartridge

Would like some recommendations on a MC cartridge to replace my long in the tooth Lyra Helikon Stereo. The Helikon still sounds fantastic to me but it's over 10 years old and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

So far my list is short. What's intrigued me so far are the Ortofon Cadenza Black and Bronze cartridges. I have not listened to either of them but read some nice things about them.

I would like to keep my budget in the $2,000-$2,500 range. I know the Cadenza Black is a bit higher. (You know how budgets go):D

My analog front end is the VPI HR-X turntable and VPI 12.7 tonearm.

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

Masterlu 04-24-2018 05:47 PM

Paul... I happen to own the Ortofon Cadenza Black and the Grado Statement V2. The Grado is truly remarkable, read the reviews they are all true. I have sold no less than five of them to AA’rs this month alone.

Although this is a bit over budget, I will wave my magic discount wand if you are interested. :ok:

Antonmb 04-24-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 912567)
[B]...I will wave my magic discount wand if you are interested. :ok:

https://lh6.ggpht.com/-UZraXvusBps/U...jpg?imgmax=800

alkizz 04-25-2018 06:05 PM

I have the Cadenza Black on a VPI Prime Signature. It sounds incredible - the best I've heard but I would jump on that Grado offer if I was still looking and it came down into your budget!

It would look pretty dang cool on your VPI

mulveling 04-25-2018 06:21 PM

On the Cadenza models, note that they're different enough (e.g. compliance, cantilever, stylus) that one might be an optimal match for a given tonearm while the other isn't. The Bronze, Blue, and Red models have a lower than average compliance of 12, which lends them more to medium-high mass arms. The Black is a more typical 16. I.e. the Black might not necessarily beat the Bronze on a heavier arm.

I once had Ortofon's predecessors of the Bronze & Black for comparison: Kontrapunkt c = Bronze and Jubilee = Black; on a Fidelity Research FR64fx arm (heavy, with effective mass 20g), the Kontra was better than the Jubilee. The Windfeld MC (same 16 compliance as Black/Jubilee) had some struggles on this arm too. I now have a Cadenza Bronze, and like the Kontra, it's a stunning match on the FR arm.

One change from Kontra c to Bronze is the use of the Replicant (micro-ridge) stylus on the latter. That actually makes it a bit more fussy in setup accuracy than either the Kontra, Jubilee, or Black. Something else to keep in mind. I also thought I read somewhere that VPI really likes the Bronze, but I'd imagine both models would do quite well on a VPI 12" arm.

Audiophilehi 04-25-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkizz (Post 912713)
I have the Cadenza Black on a VPI Prime Signature. It sounds incredible - the best I've heard but I would jump on that Grado offer if I was still looking and it came down into your budget!

It would look pretty dang cool on your VPI

I would love to jump on the Grado offer but it’s just not within my already stretched budget. :tears:

Audiophilehi 04-25-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 912714)
On the Cadenza models, note that they're different enough (e.g. compliance, cantilever, stylus) that one might be an optimal match for a given tonearm while the other isn't. The Bronze, Blue, and Red models have a lower than average compliance of 12, which lends them more to medium-high mass arms. The Black is a more typical 16. I.e. the Black might not necessarily beat the Bronze on a heavier arm.

I once had Ortofon's predecessors of the Bronze & Black for comparison: Kontrapunkt c = Bronze and Jubilee = Black; on a Fidelity Research FR64fx arm (heavy, with effective mass 20g), the Kontra was better than the Jubilee. The Windfeld MC (same 16 compliance as Black/Jubilee) had some struggles on this arm too. I now have a Cadenza Bronze, and like the Kontra, it's a stunning match on the FR arm.

One change from Kontra c to Bronze is the use of the Replicant (micro-ridge) stylus on the latter. That actually makes it a bit more fussy in setup accuracy than either the Kontra, Jubilee, or Black. Something else to keep in mind. I also thought I read somewhere that VPI really likes the Bronze, but I'd imagine both models would do quite well on a VPI 12" arm.

Thanks Mike...the bronze is also more budget friendly for me. :D

robd2 04-25-2018 08:01 PM

Do you plan on using the McIntosh phono? If so check the MC overload specs. The newer preamps top out at 5mV. That means they don't like medium output MC carts, I think...

Audiophilehi 04-25-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robd2 (Post 912724)
Do you plan on using the McIntosh phono? If so check the MC overload specs. The newer preamps top out at 5mV. That means they don't like medium output MC carts, I think...

Yes I would be using my McIntosh c2500 phono stage. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Robert_Anderson 04-26-2018 12:45 PM

Koetsu Black Goldline. I have loved mine for years, and I have over 30 in my collection.