AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   DVD Audio Extractor - opinions, advice, etc. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43413)

Rod#S 07-20-2018 09:03 AM

DVD Audio Extractor - opinions, advice, etc.

I'm thinking about purchasing DVD Audio Extractor to rip my DVD-A discs and eventually my old DVD's and Blu-rays.

Any one have experience with this and could share there opinions, version, setup tips etc.?

Unfortunately it doesn't rip SACD's but at least I'll be able to get my multi-channel DVD-A's ripped to FLAC so that my Oppo 205 can grab them from my NAS and via the Oppo's analog outs I'll be able to get the signal to my SSP.

audio bill 07-20-2018 11:13 AM

It's been a while but I used DVD-AE in the past to rip high res tracks from DVD and DVD-A discs and found it quite effective. I recall that it's pretty intuitive to use and never had any problem with the extracted files. Its interface is simple and nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

crwilli 07-20-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 923926)
It's been a while but I used DVD-AE in the past to rip high res tracks from DVD and DVD-A discs and found it quite effective. I recall that it's pretty intuitive to use and never had any problem with the extracted files. Its interface is simple and nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

+1. It works and is pretty easy to figure out.

doggiehowser 07-20-2018 07:42 PM

From memory, I always needed to run the rip TWICE. Once for the stereo and once for the multichannel.

It worked well but the metadata database (at that time 3 years ago) wasn't particularly good so many discs needed manual entry.

Other than that, it worked without a hitch, generating 5.1 and 2.0 FLAC files that worked perfectly.

pete6737 07-21-2018 05:00 PM

I’ve used it for years to rip my
DVD-As and concert dvds. It’s been a year since I’ve used it, but unless there’s an update I could not rip any of my few Blu-ray Audio discs. For those I just send them through my Oppo to the DAC.

Rod#S 07-22-2018 12:34 PM

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Looking at the website, in the FAQ section there was mention of Blu-ray:

Does DVD Audio Extractor support Blu-ray discs?
Yes, DVD Audio Extractor can now be used to extract audio from Blu-ray discs. However, please note Blu-ray discs with BD+ encryption are not supported directly. You'll have to decrypt with tools like AnyDVD or MakeMKV first, then you can extract audio with our product.

pete6737 07-22-2018 05:25 PM

Good to know. I may take another stab at ripping my BD+ discs.

Rod#S 07-25-2018 07:48 AM

Looks like for my actual DVD and Blu-ray movies I'll have to use another product. Since DVDAE is specifically for the audio portion I would have to get something like the aforementioned AnyDVD software for being able to rip a movie so that I can watch it from the NAS.

crwilli 07-25-2018 09:00 AM

For Windows PCs, —- AnyDVD —-

Rod#S 07-25-2018 09:02 AM

Thanks, I have a Windows PC, Win10.