AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Cartridge Recommendations for ProJect Xtension 10 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38898)

rjryan 03-21-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 837905)
I moved from the Sumiko Blackbird to the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II.

Couldn't be happier.

I'm using a ProJect RPM10.1 evolution so we are on a similar system.

Thanks. Can you comment on the differences between the two cartridges? I'm definitely not opposed to moving up the line if there is a significant improvement.

rjryan 03-21-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 837858)
Thanks Bill ;)

This looks like a really good option, but can you comment on the loading? I'm not sure my C2600 would have the infinite adjustability needed to make it really sing.

audio bill 03-21-2017 02:41 PM

Sorry but I don't have any first hand experience with this cartridge or Mc gear, perhaps Ivan would be better qualified address your concerns.

jdandy 03-21-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjryan (Post 837927)
This looks like a really good option, but can you comment on the loading? I'm not sure my C2600 would have the infinite adjustability needed to make it really sing.

rjryan.......From the information I have been able to glean, the Grado Statement V2 phono cartridge will require a 47K loading, the same loading as a moving magnet cartridge. The drawback with your C2600 is moving coil resistance loading only provides for a maximum 1000 ohms loading. This means the Grado Statement V2 will require being used with your moving magnet phono stage to achieve the proper 47K loading. Another drawback is the Grado Statement V2 1.0mV output will not provide sufficient output voltage to maximize signal to noise or dynamic range with the moving magnet phono stage without a step-up-transformer. The C2600 requires 4.5mV for rated output. A cartridge with a rated output of 2.5mV would be satisfactory but one with a 1.0mV output is low.

I am not saying the Grado Statement V2 cartridge won't work connected directly to the C2600 moving magnet phono input but it will not yield its best performance unless the output is boosted. If you are using or plan to use an outboard phono stage that has a switchable step-up transformer built in then you will be set, otherwise you will probably need to consider the addition of a SUT to the mix. This will also necessitate an additional pair of phono interconnects as well.

By all accounts the Grado Statement V2 cartridge is a serious performer that rivals many competitors at much higher price points. The sound produced by this cartridge is reported to be spectacular. Just be aware that it will require some additional investment to achieve its premium level of performance with your C2600 preamp.

Masterlu 03-21-2017 07:09 PM

Thank you Dan, you beat me to it! :)

rjryan 03-21-2017 10:57 PM

Thanks so much, guys. That answers my question perfectly. I have no plans to move to an external phono stage, so I'm likely going to broaden my search a bit. I'm in no huge rush, so I can take my time to find "the one"....perhaps even take a little extra time to up the price point a little [emoji6]

JMD 03-21-2017 11:51 PM

You can look at the Grado Reference V2 which is a higher output version for $1500. Nothing does mid-range quite like a Grado.

doggiehowser 03-22-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjryan (Post 837923)
Thanks. Can you comment on the differences between the two cartridges? I'm definitely not opposed to moving up the line if there is a significant improvement.

Amazing detail that builds on the detail retrieval of the Blackbird.

But I've always found the Blackbird a little sterile.

The Pearwood Celebration II brings an organic feel to the sound.

SX-626 03-22-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 837986)
rjryan.......From the information I have been able to glean, the Grado Statement V2 phono cartridge will require a 47K loading, the same loading as a moving magnet cartridge. The drawback with your C2600 is moving coil resistance loading only provides for a maximum 1000 ohms loading. This means the Grado Statement V2 will require being used with your moving magnet phono stage to achieve the proper 47K loading. Another drawback is the Grado Statement V2 1.0mV output will not provide sufficient output voltage to maximize signal to noise or dynamic range with the moving magnet phono stage without a step-up-transformer. The C2600 requires 4.5mV for rated output. A cartridge with a rated output of 2.5mV would be satisfactory but one with a 1.0mV output is low.

I am not saying the Grado Statement V2 cartridge won't work connected directly to the C2600 moving magnet phono input but it will not yield its best performance unless the output is boosted. If you are using or plan to use an outboard phono stage that has a switchable step-up transformer built in then you will be set, otherwise you will probably need to consider the addition of a SUT to the mix. This will also necessitate an additional pair of phono interconnects as well.

By all accounts the Grado Statement V2 cartridge is a serious performer that rivals many competitors at much higher price points. The sound produced by this cartridge is reported to be spectacular. Just be aware that it will require some additional investment to achieve its premium level of performance with your C2600 preamp.

Dan: do you have any information on how this cartridge would/would not work with the C1100 preamp? I can't determine that from the mfg specs on the website

jdandy 03-22-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SX-626 (Post 838119)
Dan: do you have any information on how this cartridge would/would not work with the C1100 preamp? I can't determine that from the mfg specs on the website

Tony.......The phono stage input sensitivities for the C1100 and the C2600 are identical. The moving magnet input is 4.5mV, the moving coil input is 0.45mV for rated output.