AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Black lines on the upper and lower side of the screen (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42110)

ducman748 02-06-2018 05:10 AM

Black lines on the upper and lower side of the screen

Good morning dear ht lovers,

I am a complete noob with home theater projectors, I just bought a Sony VPL-45ES projector for the first time in my life :yes:.
I have a 16/9 screen in my theater but when I play a movie the upper and the lower side stays dark so the screen is nog compleet filled in.
is this normal is there anything that I could do?

thanks in advance for the reply already

crwilli 02-06-2018 09:24 AM

black lines on the upper and lower side of the screen

If the picture fills your 16:9 screen left to right and you have black bars at the top and bottom, I would check the settings in your source (cable/satellite box or BluRay/DVD player) and the projector to insure they are all set for 16:9 output. One or more of them may be set for 21:9...

Should be a simple fix

ducman748 02-06-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 897581)
If the picture fills your 16:9 screen left to right and you have black bars at the top and bottom, I would check the settings in your source (cable/satellite box or BluRay/DVD player) and the projector to insure they are all set for 16:9 output. One or more of them may be set for 21:9...

Should be a simple fix

Thank u for your reply I am playing for the moment with a atv 3 and a MacBook.
Can't find the issue so far

chessman 02-06-2018 11:44 AM

Also, many movies are shot in aspect ratios wider than 16:9, resulting in those black bars, which is completely normal when you do not have a special adjustable lens and adjustable screen width.

crwilli 02-06-2018 11:49 AM

Just perused an Apple troubleshooting site and learned there is no way to set the aspect ratio with the ATV3. I found this reply to that question.

“There isn't one. Its output is designed purely for 16:9 widescreen TVs. Any adjustments thereafter must be made on the TV.

If videos display incorrectly either the TV aspect ratio is wrong, TV is not widescreen, the stream (Netflix) is wrong or the local video file is wrongly encoded. Of course if it's a 4:3 film or TV show then it will display as intended with black bars on sides on a widescreen TV...”

Have you tried different streams? TV versus Netflix/Hulu etc?

ducman748 02-06-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 897607)
Just perused an Apple troubleshooting site and learned there is no way to set the aspect ratio with the ATV3. I found this reply to that question.

“There isn't one. Its output is designed purely for 16:9 widescreen TVs. Any adjustments thereafter must be made on the TV.

If videos display incorrectly either the TV aspect ratio is wrong, TV is not widescreen, the stream (Netflix) is wrong or the local video file is wrongly encoded. Of course if it's a 4:3 film or TV show then it will display as intended with black bars on sides on a widescreen TV...”

Have you tried different streams? TV versus Netflix/Hulu etc?

Thank u for al the information.
Some series are full screen the movies are with the black bars .
Thank u

crwilli 02-06-2018 07:20 PM

Good luck!

W9TR 02-07-2018 10:04 AM

16:9 is the HDTV ratio, which is 1.77:1.

Most if not all movies are shot in 1.85:1 which will leave thin black bars top and bottom.

Widescreen movies are shot in a standard ratio of 2.35:1, leaving thicker black bars top and bottom.

The NTSC TV ratio is 1.33:1, leaving large vertical bars on each side.

All of this is normal.

Buy a setup Blu-Ray. I like Digital Video Essentials. It will have test patterns for each aspect ratio, along with a plethora of useful tools to properly set white level, black level, gamma, etc.

If you don't like top and bottom bars, you can increase the vertical size slightly to eliminate the bars on 1.85:1 material. You risk chopping off the top and bottom of HDTV material but this is rarely an issue.

Tom

ducman748 02-07-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 897802)
16:9 is the HDTV ratio, which is 1.77:1.

Most if not all movies are shot in 1.85:1 which will leave thin black bars top and bottom.

Widescreen movies are shot in a standard ratio of 2.35:1, leaving thicker black bars top and bottom.

The NTSC TV ratio is 1.33:1, leaving large vertical bars on each side.

All of this is normal.

Buy a setup Blu-Ray. I like Digital Video Essentials. It will have test patterns for each aspect ratio, along with a plethora of useful tools to properly set white level, black level, gamma, etc.

If you don't like top and bottom bars, you can increase the vertical size slightly to eliminate the bars on 1.85:1 material. You risk chopping off the top and bottom of HDTV material but this is rarely an issue.

Tom

Thank u Tom.
I thought evry body has a full screen I was wrong I think