AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   First Watt (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38847)

Randy Myers 03-15-2017 09:11 PM

First Watt

I am wondering how many Pass Labs fans have ever played around with Nelson Pass's personal playground gear, First Watt.

I have been reading a ton about them and after having an e-mail exchange with Papa Pass I just had to give one a try.

With my recent playing around with a classic ARC amp it confirmed to me that top quality low powered amps give me more of what I am looking for.

Having two powered subwoofers I do not worry about if the main amp can't provide the low end....

My SS amp was way too much power for me, but a buddy of mine having large Focal speakers with large woofers was needing more power. So we are trading. A First Watt F6 with very low hours is arriving next week. I am really looking forward to playing with it.

So has any other Pass fans here tried out one of Nelson's "kitchen table" amplifiers?

Weirdcuba 03-15-2017 09:35 PM

I have a buddy who speaks of them in reverential tones, but haven't heard one myself.

gbaby 03-15-2017 09:45 PM

I own a First Watt Aleph J. Make sure your speakers are efficient before purchasing the F6.

Randy Myers 03-15-2017 10:03 PM

They are not, but they are 4 ohm. I also have a 45 wpc ARC which gets plenty loud enough for me. I also have two powered subs in the system. Nelson rates the F6 at 50 wpc when hooked to 4 ohm speakers, but says it easily gets over 60. I believe it should get as loud as the ARC. I just do not like to listen to really loud music any more... but purity and quality :thumbsup:.

2fastdriving 03-15-2017 10:09 PM

But... You needed a preamp more!

Randy Myers 03-15-2017 11:12 PM

Nahhhh.... I needed to get my amps right... I have a great pre-amp... plus I really can't afford an ARC pre-amp now :)... maybe down the road.... I also have to grab the opportunities I can when they present themselves. I have been intrigued by First Watt ever since I discovered them about a year ago.

2fastdriving 03-15-2017 11:50 PM

You can't afford a preamp because you keep buying amps! I know that you are happy with the w4s pre, but you were also happy with your ampzilla and the vt50. how do you know which piece would make a bigger difference?

Randy Myers 03-16-2017 02:16 AM

No money involved in this one... he is getting something that should be better for him, as well as me getting something that should be a great match for me!

I am really looking forward to playing around with the F6! The F6 is the most powerful amplifier in the First Watt lineup... not by much... it is one of the only ones that doubles it's power when used with 4 ohm speakers. I also believe it is one of the last ones that Nelson built himself before turning manufacturing over to Pass Labs.

Randy Myers 03-16-2017 09:30 PM

I think you got to take a road trip down the coast Marc, with ARC pre in toe... and we can check that puppy out :)... (just kidding my friend :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 836991)
You can't afford a preamp because you keep buying amps! I know that you are happy with the w4s pre, but you were also happy with your ampzilla and the vt50. how do you know which piece would make a bigger difference?

2fastdriving 03-17-2017 12:39 AM

I'm tempted. You should come up here. You are welcome anytime.