AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Michael aka Volks System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17960)

Volks 12-18-2012 11:52 PM

Michael aka Volks System

10 Attachment(s)
In the last few months i have been looking for a new speaker to replace my Kef's......it was a long/hard choice for me.The Kef's were a great speaker and i liked them very much, but things never usually stay still in this fun hobby and i was ready for a big change.

I listened to many diff speakers:Totem Winds,B&W's,Sonus Faber Elipsa SE,Focal's, Revel Salon 2's,Mcintosh XR200's and Mcintosh XR100's.
Over time I was able to narrow it down to the Revel Salon 2's,Mcintosh XR200's and Mcintosh XR100's.......here is where it got interesting for me.......as much as the Revel salons "Rocked&Rolled" the type of music i listen to .....i found myself always going back to listen to the XR200 and XR100's and so between these to speakers i made my choice based on the fact that while the XR200 goes lower in the bass region then the XR100.....the midrange/highs were very very alike in both speakers to me.

The Mcintosh XR100 won my heart:thumbsup::music::banana: ...they have a very open wide midrange and they image like a SOB :).....the bass is deep enough for me and they compliment the music genre i listen to Rock&Roll/Hard Rock/Jazz...........i just hooked them up and like most speakers they need a few hundred hours break in time,but i love what im hearing thus far......i have included some photos ,but my pics dont do justice to the BEAUTIFUL Red Walnut finish on these lovely speakers!!.....i will get a cord for the remote trigger so i can see Mcintosh light up in green on the bottom of the speakers hehhehe....im having to much fun:D:banana:

Along with my new XR100 speakers i figured it was time for a source upgrade.
I figured i would "Keep it in the Family" and happily picked the Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP :) ....most of you guys already know this is a great CDP and may have one,but of course its new for me and im enjoying the beautiful sound it is spinning at this moment on regular CD's......i can already hear an improvment over my Grant Fidelity Reference Tube CD-1000 Player Impression II.............i can only imagine how it will sound on SACD's.....think i'll pick up a few:D

So.......this is now my "New/Updated" System :)music::banana::thumbsup::yes:

PS:....Maybe a Mcintosh MT10 TT and MR88 will be next:smoking:

joeinid 12-18-2012 11:53 PM

Stunningly beautiful Michael. I think this is a keeper. I am sure it sounds wonderful.

jdandy 12-18-2012 11:58 PM

Michael.......I had a feeling the McIntosh XR100 would be your ultimate choice. You kept returning to it and spoke of it more than anything else you were auditioning. Once you get that protecting plastic off of them the XR100's will be true beauties in your room. Here's wishing you years of listening pleasure. I believe you made a great choice.

vintage_tube 12-19-2012 12:03 AM

Very nice Michael & a fine choice too -- love the red walnut you selected on the XR100's.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congratulations sir. Now sit back and :music:.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob

JJinID 12-19-2012 12:06 AM

Michael - your system looks great - congratulations on the XR100s! :thumbsup:

Masterlu 12-19-2012 12:09 AM

Michael... Great Looking System, glad you posted your Pics! :ok:

Volks 12-19-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 412751)
Stunningly beautiful Michael. I think this is a keeper. I am sure it sounds wonderful.

Thanks Joe....loving it thus far :) :music:

Volks 12-19-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 412756)
Michael.......I had a feeling the McIntosh XR100 would be your ultimate choice. You kept returning to it and spoke of it more than anything else you were auditioning. Once you get that protecting plastic off of them the XR100's will be true beauties in your room. Here's wishing you years of listening pleasure. I believe you made a great choice.

Yup your right there Dan.....i did keep going back to the XR100's :).....peeling the plastic off now:thumbsup:

jfray 12-19-2012 12:13 AM

Michael,

The XR100 looks great and will only sound even better with a source like the MCD1100! Congrats!! :D

Volks 12-19-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 412760)
Very nice Michael & a fine choice too -- love the red walnut you selected on the XR100's.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congratulations sir. Now sit back and :music:.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob

Many Thanks Bob!:) i agree with you the Red Walnut finish is so nice....very deep color