AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Zu Audio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49173)

Formerly YB-2 12-09-2020 04:47 PM

Zu Audio Speakers

Anyone been a longer term owner of Zu speakers? If so, which ones and what do you think?

andreantunes 12-16-2020 05:56 AM

Hi auditioned the Omen MKII once when I wanted to hear an Hegel H390 amp.
Was really not impressed. Didn't like way they sounded that much. They were bright and lacked presence and bass.
To be fair, I'm used to my Monitor Audio Platinum PL-200II which are on a different league. So maybe on that price range they are good.

joel_hifi 12-16-2020 06:37 AM

Sorry not an owner here, just sharing an impression...

I auditioned Zu speakers at the Münich show - don’t recall which model - paired with an Audion SET amp (which I fancy a lot since I have a vintage 300B amp + preamp from that good house), and they indeed appeared to me pretty much the way Andrea described them.

But as usual, to each one his taste, mine is tilted towards a bit richer or at least natural presentation so these are not ideal for me. And they seem to have sold a lot of speakers so surely many people appreciate them!

daveneumann 12-16-2020 07:16 AM

I owned the Druid but sent them back during the return period. They were bright, the midrange sounded thick and slow, and overall sounded very closed in compared with other speakers. They just weren't what I was looking for in speaker presentation. Maybe their upper end speakers are different, but the Druid was not for me.

joel_hifi 12-16-2020 08:16 AM

Dave, seems I'm running a mini-version of (part of) your system, therefore assuming we have fairly similar taste... so maybe our opinions are a little biased? :scratch2: :D

daveneumann 12-16-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel_hifi (Post 1025608)
Dave, seems I'm running a mini-version of (part of) your system, therefore assuming we have fairly similar taste... so maybe our opinions are a little biased? :scratch2: :D

Yeah, but that was many years ago with many speakers in my room between the Druids and where I am now! The Sonus Fabers are a great speaker for the long term.

Formerly YB-2 12-16-2020 08:40 PM

Have a set of the Omens inbound at the end of January. Will be a fun comparison between them and the Ref 9K with my amp. Do like their high sensitivity (~92db). Will find out ere long.

joel_hifi 12-17-2020 10:41 AM

Glenn, congrats! Should definitely be an interesting comparaison vs your 87dB Ref 9K.

I'm also thinking of adding a pair of higher sensitivity speakers for another room, I'll be keen to hear your feedback on the Omens vs. your DeVore O/93 (although I'd expect them to be rather on the other side of the spectrum?), thanks!

FreddieFerric 12-17-2020 08:50 PM

I looked at Zu Audio speakers for years before I bought my Canton's. At the 2018 RMAF I visited the Zu room at least 4 times to listen to their presentation as it was the first time I ever had the opportunity to hear them live.

Sadly, I was tremendously disappointed in them. Totally forward and bright. Irritatingly so. They just seemed to be in your face - all the time. I've been off of Zu ever since.

Glenn, I'm hoping they sound better to your ears and integrate better in your system. The good part is the return policy. Please keep us posted as I would love to hear your observations and personal experience.

Formerly YB-2 12-20-2020 09:19 AM

Thanks. They will have 45-days to push the Ref 9Ks aside (or not).