AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 11-28-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 743406)
Just swapped in a pair of Bendix 5992 in place of the Pope's. Will give this combo a run for a while .

The Bendix' I had were a bit harsh to my ears. I hope yours are better! I just swapped in a pair of Brimar 6V6 ST (coke bottle). Curious, have only tried later GT style of various brands. I'll give 'em a good listen tonight.

I'm finding out how system dependent tubes are. I changed out speakers and prefer different amp rectifier and power tubes. The speakers are even very similar - both single driver alnicos from Omega. The previous were floor standers with 7" drivers and the current are large monitors with 6.5" drivers (higher in the Omega line though).

When things settle down more, I will run through some of my earlier tube choices to see how they are with the current configuration.

Simonatsea 11-28-2015 10:19 PM

Hey guys, been away from the thread for a while as my lil green 6v6/LP2 combo is still boxed up from the move.

Just wanted to let you audio minded folks know of a pretty amazing headphone opportunity happening at the moment on massdrop.com
They are going extremely fast around 300 pieces left..... Jus throwing it out there. Happy listening/rolling! Oh a pair of bendix 5998 were just on the auction site for $99!

massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

ismelllikepoop 11-28-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 743474)
Hey guys, been away from the thread for a while as my lil green 6v6/LP2 combo is still boxed up from the move.

Just wanted to let you audio minded folks know of a pretty amazing headphone opportunity happening at the moment on massdrop.com
They are going extremely fast around 300 pieces left..... Jus throwing it out there. Happy listening/rolling! Oh a pair of bendix 5998 were just on the auction site for $99!

massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Was there an upcharge for you to get the green finish? My wife is completely against the tube amps with a baby on the way, but i freakin love my inspires. I don't know if there's any way to convince her to keep them.

Simonatsea 11-28-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop (Post 743481)
Was there an upcharge for you to get the green finish? My wife is completely against the tube amps with a baby on the way, but i freakin love my inspires. I don't know if there's any way to convince her to keep them.

Yes, i paid around $125 or $150 USD for each piece as they were ordered at different times. To me it is worth having 1 of 1 inspire LP2 and 6V6 in Triumph British racing green. These are a lifetime pair. Even if they live in a box for the next little while. To me they are like pieces of signed audio art. Oh, dennis installed the Dact stepped potentiometer in my LP2, same one he is installing for the moon audio dragon headphone amplifier.
Happy with my inspires and my ever growing tube collection....
Good luck with the little one! Oh, headphones have been a bit of a byproduct of having a baby as well.

ismelllikepoop 11-28-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 743487)
Yes, i paid around $125 or $150 USD for each piece as they were ordered at different times. To me it is worth having 1 of 1 inspire LP2 and 6V6 in Triumph British racing green. These are a lifetime pair. Even if they live in a box for the next little while. To me they are like pieces of signed audio art. Oh, dennis installed the Dact stepped potentiometer in my LP2, same one he is installing for the moon audio dragon headphone amplifier.
Happy with my inspires and my ever growing tube collection....
Good luck with the little one! Oh, headphones have been a bit of a byproduct of having a baby as well.

Yeah that's why I am so reluctant to actually sell, since I feel like these are things to keep forever. Wouldn't mind getting another set in a custom color down the road.

FloridaBoy 11-29-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 743448)
The Bendix' I had were a bit harsh to my ears. I hope yours are better! I just swapped in a pair of Brimar 6V6 ST (coke bottle). Curious, have only tried later GT style of various brands. I'll give 'em a good listen tonight.

I'm finding out how system dependent tubes are. I changed out speakers and prefer different amp rectifier and power tubes. The speakers are even very similar - both single driver alnicos from Omega. The previous were floor standers with 7" drivers and the current are large monitors with 6.5" drivers (higher in the Omega line though).

When things settle down more, I will run through some of my earlier tube choices to see how they are with the current configuration.

That is why it is almost impossible to recommend tubes.

The Brimar 6V6G's should only be run with a 5Y3 rectifier. I some RCA, GE and Marconi 6V6G ST's. Nice tubes but getting a quality pair is becoming difficult.

slefley 12-01-2015 12:24 PM

Favorite tube combo with Omega

Peter (and maybe others?), you've auditioned several tube combos with your Omega's and I'd appreciate your findings. I've been very happy with the KT150, VT-231, and Mullard 5U4 with my Vivid 1.5's, but those are now in storage while I live in an apartment for a few months. I'm expecting Omega Super 3i's soon so I'll need to start the rolling process again.

BearCityUSA 12-01-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slefley (Post 743994)
Peter (and maybe others?), you've auditioned several tube combos with your Omega's and I'd appreciate your findings. I've been very happy with the KT150, VT-231, and Mullard 5U4 with my Vivid 1.5's, but those are now in storage while I live in an apartment for a few months. I'm expecting Omega Super 3i's soon so I'll need to start the rolling process again.

I am currently settled on RCA 6V6s with bugle boy 6DJ8 Driver and Heintz and Kaufman (USA) 5Y3 rectifier pushing my Super7 Mk11 Monitors. I have been with this for a while and feel like I am maybe not going to go away from the 6V6s. I have an older pair of metal RCAs coming soon but this was an impulse by on Ebay. Maybe Santa will bring me some Popes since they are so highly regarded. He will have to deal with Upscale since I seem to not be able to. My attitude does not jive with theirs.

I seem to recall liking the 6AR6s a lot before I tried the 6V6s.

I recently shoehorned in a Pinnacle Baby Boomer I had in a video setup and like the low end boost it gives. I have the Sub signal direct from the LP-2 line outs.

Scott

pstrisik 12-01-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slefley (Post 743994)

"Several" is the understatement of the year! :redface-3:

As I've found, when I recently changed speakers from alnico Super 7 XRS to the Super Alnico Monitors, "it depends".

My current favorite lineup is the Russian Voskhod "Rocket" 6N23P driver, "fat base" Mullard 5AR4, and vintage Gold Lion/GEC KT-77 power tubes.

When I was powering the Super 7's, my last arrangement was the same driver, early, metal envelope, RCA 5Z4 rectifier, and RCA 6K6GT power tubes.

I'm not familiar with Vivid 1.5's, so can't compare/contrast with my Omegas. My Omega Alnico Monitors are stronger in top extension than the Super 7 alnico's.

The KT-77's are very expensive, the fat base Mullard 5AR4 is moderately expensive, and everything else is cheap to reasonable.

I think you have to experiment for yourself though. I've taken what I've read to be widely liked as starting points and went from there. I budgeted a a fair amount for tubes and did both buying and selling to keep the overall cost down. The flurry is finished, I have a nice collection, and my buying is now minimal.

Simonatsea 12-01-2015 04:32 PM

Looking forward to impressions on the Omegas 3i monitors. Condo living has me downsizing as well. Also looking at the audience ONES or 1+1's. Not too efficient but audience does assure they will still be driven by 5-10 watts.
Has anybody heard Decwares monitors before?