AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   The Vintage Altec Codex (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32846)

fjn04 02-11-2016 05:37 PM

Thanks guys. Josh what's that Halloween (black/orange) braided wire in yours?
Is that the Belden? (-:

junker 02-11-2016 05:44 PM

Yeah Belden 9497 - a tinned copper 16 gauge wire. Stock wire is tinned Belden 20 gauge wire so it is very similar to OEM wire. ;)

junker 02-11-2016 10:13 PM

Vince, a Shindo owner himself, bought an entire spool of it and is selling it on eBay. He's a good person. It's hard to buy in short lengths and is typically sold in 1000' spools so it can be expensive if you only need 20 - 30'...

755a 02-11-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junker (Post 759463)
Vince, a Shindo owner himself, bought an entire spool of it and is selling it on eBay. He's a good person. It's hard to buy in short lengths and is typically sold in 1000' spools so it can be expensive if you only need 20 - 30'...

guy on cam sells short sections. Priced per foot. What shindo gear does Vince have?

junker 02-11-2016 10:54 PM

I think he has my old Aurieges (mint) and a new 6v6 Montille. ;)

fjn04 02-13-2016 12:10 AM

Who's Vince? (-: Today I took all the fiberglass insulation out of my 846's. Great Plains suggested a Denim insulation sold @ Home Depot. Yep, RECYCLED DENIM. Ordered that today, as it's an online only item. I will be ordering from Werner Monday or Tuesday. My wife got hold of my credit card (-: Will also be looking in to the Belden. Hey Josh, I never leave you alone. I'm about to do the Murphy's Oil cleanup followed by the 2-step Howard's you used way back. It's their Restor-a-finish followed by the Feed n' Wax Beeswax stuff. For applying, did you use a MICROFIBER CLOTH? Cheers -Don

junker 02-13-2016 12:22 AM

GPA are good people! He's very practical... Can you put some pressure on him to re-release the vintage Alnico 604E. Back in the day it took him a while to clear his stock and I don't think he realizes how much the market has turned around for that sort of thing. I'd buy his new if he still offered them.

Madisound sells wool stuffing... that might be worth looking into as well.

Umm... I think I used paper towels for the restore-a-finish (nothing synthetic) and then microfiber or cotton cloth for the wax.

Sounds like you are making some progress!

junker 02-13-2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04 (Post 759742)
Great Plains suggested a Denim insulation sold @ Home Depot. Yep, RECYCLED DENIM. Ordered that today, as it's an online only item.

Just took a look at this and it is very interesting... definitely keep us posted on using the denim sheet insulation. It has quite a few positive reviews actually and is very reasonably priced. Also, I like how it is a natural product and not fiberglass or poly fill. :thumbsup:

fjn04 02-13-2016 12:32 PM

I will mention the Alnico 604E to Gill next time. I spoke with him about Replacement Diaphram for horns, and Re-cone kit for woofer. He said if I didn't hear anything wrong, no reason to worry. I also mentioned re-MAG the magnets, and he seemed to think that may be a good idea. I will look in to somebody closer for that, to avoid shipping. Josh, if you want to see what the Denim looks like, let me know. Be happy to to throw a small piece in a mailer for you. It's right under Denim insulation on Home Depots site, but no good photos. My guess is this will cost me $36 to do. The second case will likely get returned. It's about 0 degrees, and I have the day off. I should be shining up those Altec's today.

junker 02-13-2016 02:35 PM

Bill is awesome! Good idea to get a remag... he's normally said it's not necessary and he knows better than most so I'm glad that he said it might make sense. It worked out well for me because he throws that service in when he does the recone service.

No worries about sending a sample but a couple pics and your impressions would be awesome! ;) I have some more natural wool felt coming in for the back panel that I'm going to install when I take care of another upgrade I've been wanting to do for some time. I'll keep you updated when it's taken care of in a week to so. ;)