AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Manley Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Manley at CES 2014 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24767)

magoo 01-07-2014 05:44 AM

Manley at CES 2014

"Manley Labs CES demo room 29-310 with ATC Speakers will sound respectable. Come see us this week at The Venetian in Las Vegas. We have some prototypes of some special anniversary amplifiers and a Dave Collins designed Manley Heart Monitor Controller DAC/Pre to show to you."

I follow EveAnna on Facebook & this just popped up from her this morning.......do we have any AA attending armed with a camera I wonder? :D

Musicophile 01-07-2014 10:14 AM

This is great news :banana:

magoo 01-08-2014 02:58 PM

http://my-hiend.com/leoyeh2/2013a/IMG_7755ss.jpg

Now that amp looks nice:thumbsup:

Musicophile 01-08-2014 04:05 PM

Sweet! And check the new, I guess, preamp/dac on the right :-)

Good Times 01-09-2014 04:15 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these new products as well. A Manley dac would be sweet.

antipop 01-09-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times (Post 568430)
I'm looking forward to hearing more about these new products as well. A Manley dac would be sweet.

Now that's a good news. Can't wait to hear more as well

bzr 01-09-2014 06:08 PM

OOhhh yeah! Manley dac...... hmmmm

Good Times 01-10-2014 05:56 PM

So I see that their Anniversary amps use different tubes to the standard ones; KT77s on the Neo-250 and KT120s on the Neo-500.

Jerome W 01-11-2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzr (Post 568641)
OOhhh yeah! Manley dac...... hmmmm

+1 !
Knowing the Manley house sound quite a bit, a Manley Dac will really get my attention !

Jerome W 01-11-2014 03:28 AM

The Wave Dac specs look awesome : http://www.manley.com/wave.php

Unfortunately, I find the look of it not attractive to my eyes. But since I am a sound lover first....

Georges, the balanced outputs and inputs would make this probably the best match with the fully balanced Snappers. If you can deal with this look.
You would just need a phono stage....
Or you break the bank and buy this Shindo Masseto for sale near your home.....:D

magoo 01-11-2014 04:49 AM

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...11668368_n.jpg

Another shot via Manley's fb page .......and apparently the mono blocks are 500 watts :thumbsup:

Jerome, The Wave was their previous DAC .....I think (and hope lol) the new DAC goes by the name of The Turbot. It was apparently previewed quietly last year at CES but that looks like a full production version on that rack....here's hoping :smoking:

or maybe if I re-read the original blurb, it's actually called the Manley Heart Monitor Controller DAC/Pre ......hmm, let's keep it fishy Manley :)

Jerome W 01-11-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 569144)
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...11668368_n.jpg

Another shot via Manley's fb page .......and apparently the mono blocks are 500 watts :thumbsup:

Jerome, The Wave was their previous DAC .....I think (and hope lol) the new DAC goes by the name of The Turbot. It was apparently previewed quietly last year at CES but that looks like a full production version on that rack....here's hoping :smoking:

or maybe if I re-read the original blurb, it's actually called the Manley Heart Monitor Controller DAC/Pre ......hmm, let's keep it fishy Manley :)

Thanks magoo ! I stand corrected.
Their web site is not very clear imho.

magoo 01-11-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569162)
Thanks magoo ! I stand corrected.
Their web site is not very clear imho.

Agreed, it's not the greatest is it! Although as we seem to have a DAC/Pre on it's second debut & with 2 possible names lol, the PR dept. have a bit of work needed too ;)

Musicophile 01-11-2014 01:11 PM

I think this is a preamp with integrated DAC which goes under the name "Heart Monitor". I agree it is better with fish names :-). The Turbot I think, or guess, is a standalone DAC, not ready yet. Only guessing...

antipop 01-11-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569138)
The Wave Dac specs look awesome : Manley WAVE DAC Tube Preamplifer Combo

Unfortunately, I find the look of it not attractive to my eyes. But since I am a sound lover first....

Georges, the balanced outputs and inputs would make this probably the best match with the fully balanced Snappers. If you can deal with this look.
You would just need a phono stage....
Or you break the bank and buy this Shindo Masseto for sale near your home.....:D

I'm not a big fan of the look, let's hope the new preamp/dac will look better.

Don't tempt me with the Masseto, if I can sell the E360 I could do it.

antipop 01-11-2014 04:32 PM

BTW besides finally paying the Snappers, my next purchase will be a SME V arm for my TT and an RCM. This will get me closer to vinyl heaven (though I'm still far from the Verdier)

magoo 01-11-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 569358)
BTW besides finally paying the Snappers,

so you've decided to keep them.....excellent news!! As you know I came to these from an E450 & while I wouldn't say a single bad word about the Accuphase, it's a decision I have not regretted for a single moment. Congratulations:thumbsup:

antipop 01-11-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 569369)
so you've decided to keep them.....excellent news!! As you know I came to these from an E450 & while I wouldn't say a single bad word about the Accuphase, it's a decision I have not regretted for a single moment. Congratulations:thumbsup:

Thank you Magoo. I was surprised by their sound which way above what I heard on the e360 so I'm keeping them despite my liking for Accuphase.

magoo 01-11-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 569387)
Thank you Magoo. I was surprised by their sound which way above what I heard on the e360 so I'm keeping them despite my liking for Accuphase.

My pre is relatively humble (by AA standards at least) Cary SLP 03 which I picked up ex dem (i actually used the E450 as a power amp for a while), but it works just fine ....although I would also love to pair them with something like a Masseto, they give their magic with a reasonably cheap pre too! It's my humble opinion that whilst Accuphase represent some of the finest SS amps on the current market, there's just something about a well done valve amp that wins out.......and Manley have that locked down :thumbsup:

Tubes Rule as someone once said....:)

Jerome W 01-12-2014 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo

My pre is relatively humble (by AA standards at least) Cary SLP 03 which I picked up ex dem (i actually used the E450 as a power amp for a while), but it works just fine ....although I would also love to pair them with something like a Masseto, they give their magic with a reasonably cheap pre too! It's my humble opinion that whilst Accuphase represent some of the finest SS amps on the current market, there's just something about a well done valve amp that wins out.......and Manley have that locked down :thumbsup:

Tubes Rule as someone once said....:)

The Snappers play way above their price level.
They are awesome with the good tubes in.
They deliver power, drive, bloom, delicacy, tone....all in a perfect balanced way. They are highly musical ( it is really tough to find a record that sounds bad with them ) and at the same time they do not sound "colored".
They only miss a few degrees of resolution / definition to play at the same level of very high end, but honestly without comparing them in direct to very high end amps, you do not realize that. Even knowing that, when you listen to the Snappers, you do not miss these degrees of definition. You just get Pure Joy all the time.
I am missing them more than my 2301's.
My 2301's had almost everything one could ask for, including the high definition, but they were intolerant to average recordings and they were not as joyful as the Snappers.
And their bass was not "agile" and alive as the bass of the Snappers.
The price of a pair is very close to the price of a single 275. Especially on the used market. But for this price, you get to the level of the 2301's ! Not the 275.
Talk about a bargain in audio !

But I'm so glad they went to a "good home".

Georges, if one day you decide to sell them, CALL ME FIRST ! I think I will take them back. :D

antipop 01-12-2014 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569572)

But I'm so glad they went to a "good home".

Georges, if one day you decide to sell them, CALL ME FIRST ! I think I will take them back. :D

Thank you Jérome :reface:

They will be hard to replace and I wouldn't sell them without talking to you first :)

Now you've really made a trick on me with the Masseto as it has a phono section.

Jerome W 01-12-2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop
Thank you Jérome :reface:

They will be hard to replace and I wouldn't sell them without talking to you first :)

Now you've really made a trick on me with the Masseto as it has a phono section.

That is why I talked to you about it.
You save a separate phonostage and cables.
And what phonostage you're getting !!

Jerome W 01-12-2014 05:59 AM

The only potential problems are :
- the absence of balance setting both on the Masseto and the Snappers
- the Masseto could have too much gain for the Snappers.
Best way to know for sure if it works would be to ask the seller if he accepts to demo the Masseto in your system.
He used to post here from time to time but I cannot remember his pseudo. He is in Boulogne.

magoo 01-12-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569604)
Best way to know for sure if it works would be to ask the seller if he accepts to demo the Masseto in your system.

I started off using balanced from Cary to Snappers, but after moving things round on my shelf, had to swap to using SE.....tbh I didn't think there was a significant difference. I certainly wouldn't worry if I only had SE available from my pre, and I also think the simple fact Manley don't provide balanced on their own pre's speaks volumes about their feelings on the great balanced v se debate. My guess is the snappers got them on the off chance a user was buying for use in an AV system where long cable runs might be important.

I suspect you'd have one fantastic sounding set up with a Masseto at the helm:D

antipop 01-12-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569604)
He used to post here from time to time but I cannot remember his pseudo. He is in Boulogne.

I found him on HCFR, I need to PM him but I'll be away for work next week and anyway I won't be able to do anything before end of February.

I'm already using the snapper unbalanced so I don't know how much of a difference there is. But saving the purchase of a phono stage and one less box is very tempting. This is the reason why I'm keeping the E360 for the time being.

Jerome W 01-12-2014 09:42 AM

Guys, I was talking of the left / right volume balance. Not XLR connection.

antipop 01-12-2014 09:55 AM

I've contacted the seller (gri on HCFR) and let's see how it goes.

This is really not healthy :D

magoo 01-12-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 569629)
Guys, I was talking of the left / right volume balance. Not XLR connection.

Aha .....apologies lol:D

Good Times 01-14-2014 07:02 PM

Apparently the dac is still in prototype so could be a while off.

magoo 01-15-2014 06:34 PM

http://www.stereophile.com/images/011214-Manley-600.jpg

& The Heart of Manley Labs | Stereophile.com

It's growing on me :thumbsup:

o0OBillO0o 01-16-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 570810)
& The Heart of Manley Labs | Stereophile.com It's growing on me :thumbsup:

Me to!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Subframe 10-30-2014 03:35 PM

Did anybody attend CES and hear the Manley/ATC setup? That sounds like it would be... special :)