AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Aries 3 setup (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34126)

miner 12-23-2015 06:21 PM

Aries 3 setup

I had my dealer set up my Aries 3 when I bought it, but being the tinkerer I am, I decided to get the proper tools to do this myself. When I initially got the table I checked and redid the azimuth and VTF. I then ordered the Feickert NG gauge, Fozgometer and the AP Ultimate test LP. I set my overhang to the Baerwald setting, adjusted the cartridge so cantilever is perpendicular to the null pt., and then checked the azimuth with the Foz. only 0.5db difference between left and right (left being higher); I left it alone. I am now awaiting the arrival of my Manley Chinook phono stage. Santa has been nice to me this year. :redface-3:

audioguy3107 12-23-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 748751)
I had my dealer set up my Aries 3 when I bought it, but being the tinkerer I am, I decided to get the proper tools to do this myself. When I initially got the table I checked and redid the azimuth and VTF. I then ordered the Feickert NG gauge, Fozgometer and the AP Ultimate test LP. I set my overhang to the Baerwald setting, adjusted the cartridge so cantilever is perpendicular to the null pt., and then checked the azimuth with the Foz. only 0.5db difference between left and right (left being higher); I left it alone. I am now awaiting the arrival of my Manley Chinook phono stage. Santa has been nice to me this year. :redface-3:

You'll love the Manely Chinook, that's what I paired with my VPI Classic 2......it sounds great. I did some tube rolling with Upscale Audio and did some nice Amperex NOS tubes. It's very smooth. Lots of flexibility with cartridge loading as well! You go Santa!

- Buck

miner 12-23-2015 06:32 PM

BUCK, I will assume you preferred the Manley over the C2300 stage? I bought this stage on reviews I read here. Previously I could not find a sub $2500 stage that could better the C2300, so I took a leap of faith.

jdandy 12-23-2015 06:32 PM

Kevin.......Looking forward to reading your impressions of the new analog rig once it is all together with some hours on it. Happy listening.

The Trace 08-10-2017 09:20 PM

Fozgometer

I have not seen any threads on this subject but as many tonearms have adjustable azimuth I thought of my two cents in. I believe there are 3 accessories to handle this area.... one being the Dr. Freikert tool / software. And of course the Analog L.P. Test record. I choose the Fozgometer on reviews and reputation. I do have 2 tables/arms, one with very stable and consistent azimuth and one less so. The looped tone arm wire can and does affect aximuth. I check it as needed. This device or one of the competitors has shown to be a necessity to get the most of my cartridges. Just my opinion.