AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   ElectroMotion ESL (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29236)

Joe Appierto 12-01-2014 09:35 AM

ElectroMotion ESL

I received a pair of these last week replacing some Quad 989s, one of which had died on me. Have to say that so far I'm pleased with how good they sound. Back in the '90's I owned the ML Aerius and there's a definite similarity although these seem more extended at the the top.

I've placed some MDF under the speakers and that seems to have tightened up the bass a bit compared to having the port firing directly into the carpeting beneath them. Was curious if any members of the forum have any experiences they'd be willing to share regarding their care and feeding and what tweaks, if any, you've found good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks in advance.

kens 12-01-2014 11:08 AM

I vacuum mine every couple months. You need to un plug them for a few hours usually overnight then vacuum both side of the panels. I use the brush attachment.

Joe Appierto 12-01-2014 12:06 PM

Thanks, Ken. Using the brush makes sense so as to not scratch the stators. I smoke so the vacuuming will need to be regularly done.

Audioseduction 12-07-2014 12:31 PM

You should not smoke in the same room with your audio equipment, infact you should smoke outside. Best yet is not to smoke at all. Just saying.

Joe Appierto 12-08-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioseduction (Post 656820)
You should not smoke in the same room with your audio equipment, infact you should smoke outside. Best yet is not to smoke at all. Just saying.

All good points. :yes:

x3workshop 07-20-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Appierto (Post 657222)
All good points. :yes:

I also cover mine when I'm not using them.

polkfarmboy 10-27-2015 08:17 PM

You cannot smoke in the house with electrostats anywhere lol. My buddy was moving and he boxed all his stereo gear and stored it in his dads. His father is a smoker and when he got his stuff back after two weeks he told me that even though they were taped shut in boxes the panels had something missing from the sound. His dad never smoked in the same room and cracks the window but smoke gets in and goes everywhere destroying stuff.

I read read something about ecigs in moderation not destroying the panels so maybe get a little ecig when you dont want to leave the electrostats alone while you get off the couch to go have a smoke? It will save your panels and have you loving them for many years to come.

maxfli44 10-29-2015 11:55 AM

I keep mine in a closed room vacuum them once a week. Have the Vistas with the Krell Vanguard and Marantz SA8005 and using the dac to run my Mac for internet tunes using Tidal.

Mikado463 10-29-2015 03:00 PM

Gents, remember this, the mylar film between the stators of our Logans is a dust magnet. With that being said when vacuuming do not use a nylon brush attachment for it actually can cause additional static electricity and thus attract more dust ! Do yourself a favor and go to a vacuum shop and buy a quality horse hair brush and you won't have an issue…...

Meloski 03-06-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 736957)
Gents, remember this, the mylar film between the stators of our Logans is a dust magnet. With that being said when vacuuming do not use a nylon brush attachment for it actually can cause additional static electricity and thus attract more dust ! Do yourself a favor and go to a vacuum shop and buy a quality horse hair brush and you won't have an issue…...

Sage advice