AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Harbeth Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Anyone Running MC275 Monoblocks with SHL5s? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46644)

MarSanz 09-10-2019 10:53 PM

Anyone Running MC275 Monoblocks with SHL5s?

I am looking for opinions on anyone that has used an MC275 monoblock set up with SHL5s. I have been wanting more power for sometime, I have even considered the MC312 or MC462 to prepare for a speaker upgrade in the future. I am just not sure about how the change in amps will affect the overall sound.

My system make up is VPI Scoutmaster, DV XX-2, C2300, MC275 and Harbeth SHL5.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

jdandy 09-11-2019 12:22 AM

MarSanz.......Look for a clean pre-owned MC452. The C2300 and the MC452 are wonderful together. That will provide you with all the power you will ever need no matter what speaker you wish to drive.

paltomare 09-11-2019 01:10 PM

I've just purchased a 275/vi to use with a pair of DeVore O/96 I have on order.
While I wait for the speakers, I am breaking it in by swapping out a pair of MC301s I have for sale and using it with a pair of Sonus Faber Elipsa and a C70.

I found the sound of the 301s and 275 to be very similar. The 301s seem to have a bit more controlled bass but that could just be the additional power on tap.

I only have experience with autoformer based MC amps, can't say how the other MC amps compare.

MarSanz 09-11-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 979274)
MarSanz.......Look for a clean pre-owned MC452. The C2300 and the MC452 are wonderful together. That will provide you with all the power you will ever need no matter what speaker you wish to drive.

Is there much of a difference between the MC452/MC462 in terms of how they sound? Maybe I need to do an in home demo or take my C2300 to a dealer that sells both and do some listening.

ATC2 09-14-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarSanz (Post 979262)
I am looking for opinions on anyone that has used an MC275 monoblock set up with SHL5s. I have been wanting more power for sometime, I have even considered the MC312 or MC462 to prepare for a speaker upgrade in the future. I am just not sure about how the change in amps will affect the overall sound.

My system make up is VPI Scoutmaster, DV XX-2, C2300, MC275 and Harbeth SHL5.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Yes I am running this combination, if more power is your goal I do not recommend it. The amps you mention would be a better choice and you may just end up keeping the Harbeth, I believe that you will not feel the need to upgrade the speakers unless you have a very large room. I’m very happy with my system but I don’t play at very high levels and I also run dual subwoofers.

MarSanz 09-21-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATC2 (Post 979726)
Yes I am running this combination, if more power is your goal I do not recommend it. The amps you mention would be a better choice and you may just end up keeping the Harbeth, I believe that you will not feel the need to upgrade the speakers unless you have a very large room. I’m very happy with my system but I don’t play at very high levels and I also run dual subwoofers.

Thanks ATC2, the goal was to create more headroom, 95% of my listening is classic jazz and classical, if I really want to jam out I listen to my HT system. I think I will start looking for another MC275 MK IV.

Thanks!

ATC2 09-21-2019 12:59 PM

I think you’ll be okay, that is one of the reasons I also acquired a second amp. Plus I’ve always wished to one day have a dual amp system now I’m glad I did. I believe you will also.

hdbc 10-01-2020 10:16 AM

McIntosh + Harbeth 40.2

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 979274)

I’m running MC501 monos and C48 preamp into recently purchased Harbeth 40.2s, (used) and the combo sounds awesome. The Harbeths replaced Wilson Sashas in my 2 channel system and so far I prefer the Harbeths. The Sasha’s are now being used in a separate home theater system.

ATC2 10-01-2020 12:48 PM

Nice setup hdbc, with two 501’s has to sound “sweet”. Thanks for the comparison information, When I heard 40’s for the first time I remember thinking “this can easily be an end game speaker” My SHL’s have recently passed on to another lucky person and I miss them already. Not sure what the future will bring but Harbeth will definitely be on my radar. Probably the best sounding speaker I’ve owned.