AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal Scala V2 vs Sopra 3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42209)

Superfrg 09-20-2019 11:44 AM

Congrats on the new speakers, please give all your impressions on the difference between the sopras and scala evo's

dvir 09-24-2019 02:24 PM

Congrats and would appreciate your impressions as well. I'm exactly at the point of considering this upgrade.

Thanks

moviemike 09-25-2019 02:23 PM

The Scalas have been breaking in and sound much better then the first day. I also got the Isoacoustic gaia on them.
I havent sold my Sopras yet so Im tempted to put them back in to do a real side by side comparison.

Main impression the biggest difference is in clarity, transparency and detail. The tweeter and midrange is also actually smoother then the Sopras but with more detail.

Using REW the bass response in my room is the exact same in volume and extension as the Sopra 3. The bass does have more detail, tighter and more thump.

Imaging is bigger. Individual sounds are bigger and the soundstage is deeper and taller.

Overall very happy with the upgrade. If you have the Sopras and like them then you will love these. If you have the sopras but would like a more neutral sound with much better clarity top to bottom and smoother treble then the upgrade is worth it.

Signal path
windows computer - usb to matrix x-spdif to i2s port on PS Audio directstream sr - Mark Levinson 523 to Levinson 534 amp. Wire is all Audioquest.

jesuisunutopiste 10-11-2019 01:11 AM

My advice: take them off from the wheels and put them either on spikes or on isolators. After a year on wheels (not good), and another years on their spikes (better), I now have my Scala v2 on Aktyna feets (spectacularly good !). The difference is H U G E !!!

moviemike 10-15-2019 12:51 PM

I have the Isoacoustics Gaia on mine now. Very much worth it.

stev809 12-05-2019 08:25 PM

Hi Mike, Are your sopra’s black? I’m posting here and on other forums to try and find if anyone has listened to the sopra3 with a hegel h360. Being a working class audiophile I need the combo to work. The hegel has really ‘woke up’ some difficult speakers in the past but it would be reassuring to know they wouldn’t make the sopras midrange hard or edgy.

moviemike 12-16-2019 04:18 PM

Hello

My Sopras are black. I havent heard them with Hegel but have read a lot of people that have and really like the combo. the Sopras like amps that have current and the Hegels do.

Alpha12 08-04-2020 12:16 AM

Sopra 3 or Scala Evo, what plays louder?

Mike,

Having owned both the Sopra 3 and the now the Scala Evo, which will play louder? I have a large room.

Thank you.