AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classe' Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   No Repair or Tech Support for Older Classé Products! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42766)

Crumhorn 04-18-2018 06:28 PM

No Repair or Tech Support for Older Classé Products!

I own a pair of Classé M-700 monoblock amps. When I purchased them many years ago, they came with a "Lifetime Warranty."

Recently, both of them failed, which I attribute to aging electrolytic caps in the power supply.

When I contacted Classé to arrange for repair, I received the following response:

"Thank you for calling in about your M-700 amplifiers. As you noted in your voicemail, there has been significant changes to Classé operations in the past few months, which include moving all service and support from Montreal to Boston, closing the Classé building in Cananda, and just now within the past couple weeks Classé has been acquired by United Radio.

During the transfer from the Montreal repair facility to the Boston facility attempts were made to bring down as many parts as we could for repairs. However there were certain parts we could not collect, mainly for pre Delta 2 series or legacy unit including the M-700. As a result we can only recommend contacting a reputable nearby audio electronics repair shop to ask if they can diagnose and possibly repair the unit.

We realize that this is not a favorable suggestion, but at this time it is the only one I can provide.

I apologize for this inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Ken Bunker | Technical Support
Bowers & Wilkins - North America"

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper... :(

Does anyone have a recommendation for a NYC repair service?

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM

jdandy 04-18-2018 06:52 PM

Crumhorn.......The M-700's are not going to magically come back to life on their own, and it is clear B&W is not interested in attempting to provide service. I suggest you do as Ken Bunker suggested, find a reputable nearby audio electronics repair shop and get you amplifiers fixed.

Kal Rubinson 04-18-2018 07:26 PM

I suggest you try the re-animated Classe group, now owned by Sound United and run by the original top management. (N.B.: This is not United Radio.)

PM me if you need help.

Crumhorn 04-18-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 911853)
Crumhorn.......The M-700's are not going to magically come back to life on their own, and it is clear B&W is not interested in attempting to provide service. I suggest you do as Ken Bunker suggested, find a reputable nearby audio electronics repair shop and get you amplifiers fixed.

That's why the last line of my post read: "Does anyone have a recommendation for a NYC repair service?" :)

Crumhorn 04-18-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 911854)
I suggest you try the re-animated Classe group, now owned by Sound United and run by the original top management. (N.B.: This is not United Radio.)

PM me if you need help.

The message from B&W that I quoted above was in response to the "Customer Repair Request Form" I submitted through the Sound United website! When I tried calling Sound United, they refused to connect me to anyone, insisting I use that form.

So they certainly seem to have written their older products and customers off.

Once the company changed ownership, I expected that they might not honor the lifetime warranty, and that I would need to pay for the repairs, and I was OK with that. But to be given the total brush-off? That's a whole different kettle of fish. I can guarantee that Classé has seen the last of me as a customer. And it should give anyone considering a purchase of their products serious cause for concern...

Thanks for your kind offer of assistance! Since my original post, a former Classé dealer in NY recommended a local repair shop, but it was too late to call them today. If they can't do the work, I'll be in touch.

jdandy 04-19-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 911883)
That's why the last line of my post read: "Does anyone have a recommendation for a NYC repair service?" :)

Crumhorn.......Sorry, I missed that last line. I got stuck at "Needless to say, I am not a happy camper... :( "

I would not be a happy camper either with the cold shoulder you have received.

Macuser 04-19-2018 02:57 AM

Wow I'm sorry to hear that; So much for the "lifetime warranty" which was surely factored in to the original purchase price.
Makes note to self; avoid Classe products

FreddieFerric 04-19-2018 08:12 AM

So, who's in charge of this company now. Sound United or United Radio?

Kal says it's the former. Have you reached out to them yet?

http://soundunited.com/

Their site lists Classe' as one of their brands.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Kal Rubinson 04-19-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 911885)
The message from B&W that I quoted above was in response to the "Customer Repair Request Form" I submitted through the Sound United website! When I tried calling Sound United, they refused to connect me to anyone, insisting I use that form.

We can bypass all that.

GSOphile 04-19-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 911897)

See post #15 above.

FreddieFerric 04-19-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 911900)
See post #15 above.

Considering your post is #10 that’ll be hard to do. :scratch2:

It I did return to #5 and found I overlooked the OP’s reply. :yes:

62caddy 04-19-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 911852)
I own a pair of Classé M-700 monoblock amps. When I purchased them many years ago, they came with a "Lifetime Warranty."

Unfortunately they didn't specify whose lifetime they were referring to - the owner's or Classé's itself. :rolleyes:

Crumhorn 04-19-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 911897)

Yes, Sound United owns Classé.

When I went to SoundUnited.com -> Our Brands -> Classé, it took me to the ClasseAudio.com website. On the Classé website I went to "Service & Support" -> "Equipment Repair". The Equipment Repair page offers phone #s and email addresses for the United Kingdom, Hong Kong & Canada. But for "North American Customers & Dealers" it says: "fill out one of the following Repair Request Forms, made available by B&W Group USA", but offers NO phone # or email address. So I called the Sound United main phone #, as I wanted to speak with someone. They refused to connect me, stating that the only way to interact with Classé repair was through that form. So I filled it out & submitted it. I received back the email I quoted in full in my original post. Apparently, the B&W repair dept. is tasked with repairing Classé products, and they seem to be confused about who owns the company, which hardly inspires confidence.

After I received that email, I again called the Sound United main phone #, and was again told no one would speak with me.

Kal Rubinson may well know how to "bypass all that", but one shouldn't need "insider information" in order to even speak with someone after having spent $7,000 on their product! (Which equates to over $10,000 in 2018 value.) That's not even remotely a "big-spender" cost these days (I remember when it was), but even if it was $100 I would expect to be treated with more respect than I received...

No, I did not call them today, as it seems clear to me that without Kal's assistance I will get nowhere with them. And although I may take him up on his offer, it shouldn't be necessary.

Crumhorn 04-19-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62caddy (Post 911953)
Unfortunately they didn't specify whose lifetime they were referring to - the owner's or Classé's itself. :rolleyes:

Whoever goes first! :D

Kal Rubinson 04-19-2018 11:11 PM

Let me remind all that Classe is in transition and you are not the first to have issues during this period. You are, also, not the first one I have tried to assist.

Crumhorn 04-19-2018 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crumhorn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 911898)
We can bypass all that.

Thanks, Kal! I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you have to give! I think it would be great if you can share them with the whole community by posting them here, if possible. If that's not possible, PM me, or let me know & I'll PM you. I gave some additional details in post #13 above.

I did reach the NY repair place (Technetron), & they say they are Classé authorized service & can repair my amps (at the going rate - not for free), so that's what I'll go with unless I can make some progress with Sound United.

The next challenge will be to get them wherever they're going - at 70 lbs each (unboxed) that's a challenge without a car :D

Kal Rubinson 04-20-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 912001)
Thanks, Kal! I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you have to give! I think it would be great if you can share them with the whole community by posting them here, if possible. If that's not possible, PM me, or let me know & I'll PM you. I gave some additional details in post #13 above..

I cannot PM here but you can PM to me with your email address and I will respond.

Crumhorn 04-20-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912030)
I cannot PM here but you can PM to me with your email address and I will respond.

Hi Kal - I just tried to PM you and received the following warning:

"Kal Rubinson has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Do you have any suggestions for how I can reach you?

Kal Rubinson 04-20-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 912069)
Hi Kal - I just tried to PM you and received the following warning:

"Kal Rubinson has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Do you have any suggestions for how I can reach you?

That makes no sense. I have received messages and I just checked my setup options which indicates that I have enabled visitor messaging. The most recent message was received about a month ago.

Since I am not a paying member, I cannot initiate a message but I have been able to reply to them. You can try PM-ing me at another audio forum or sending a message via Stereophile. I will not post my email publicly.

I will not post my email address here.

Crumhorn 04-20-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912071)
That makes no sense. I have received messages and I just checked my setup options which indicates that I have enabled visitor messaging. The most recent message was received about a month ago.

Since I am not a paying member, I cannot initiate a message but I have been able to reply to them. You can try PM-ing me at another audio forum or sending a message via Stereophile. I will not post my email publicly.

I will not post my email address here.

I am on the same page - I don't want to post my email address publicly either!

Ivan just sent me a PM with your email address - is it OK if I email you? If not, I'll immediately delete it.

(His message to me also said: "He needs to be a Subscriber to receive PM’s.")

Kal Rubinson 04-20-2018 05:27 PM

1. Yes, contact me by email.
2. It is strange that he says I need to be a subscriber to receive PMs since I have received many.

62caddy 04-20-2018 05:44 PM

Visitor messages can be received without subscription but not PM to my knowledge.

Masterlu 04-20-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912081)
1. Yes, contact me by email.
2. It is strange that he says I need to be a subscriber to receive PMs since I have received many.

Kal... you were a Subscriber a while ago; that is when you were able to send/receive PM’s.

Not being a Subscriber means that only myself, and Dan/Admin can send you PM’s.

I hope that clears things up.

1KW 04-20-2018 06:48 PM

Time to buy a new amp. Which will likely give better performance. It doesn’t owe you anything if it’s so old your capacitors are shot.

Kal Rubinson 04-20-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 912083)
Kal... you were a Subscriber a while ago; that is when you were able to send/receive PM’s.

Not being a Subscriber means that only myself, and Dan/Admin can send you PM’s.

I hope that clears things up.

Not really. I have not been a subscriber for years. I received my latest message on 3/6/18.

admin 04-20-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912094)
Not really. I have not been a subscriber for years. I received my latest message on 3/6/18.

Nope :no:

That was a visitor message, not a PM.

Crumhorn 04-20-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 912091)
Time to buy a new amp. Which will likely give better performance. It doesn’t owe you anything if it’s so old your capacitors are shot.

I have been using the Classés on the woofer towers of the IRS betas - an application for which they are particularly well suited at 700 WPC @ 8 ohms, 1,400 WPC @ 4 ohms, & over 2,000 WPC @ 2 ohms!

Although it is certainly possible to get better-sounding solid state amps today, at such high power outputs they sure don't come cheap!

Once I let go of the betas, I won't even have an immediate need for the Classés, but it seems wasteful, not to say un-ecological, to throw them out when a relatively cheap (or free, if the lifetime warranty is honored) fix could bring them back to life for many more years of service. I will either sell them with the betas, sell them separately, or keep them as a backup.

As a Mcintosh owner, you might understand! Some of your boys have been kept around for a very long time!

Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses

FreddieFerric 04-21-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 912111)
I have been using the Classés on the woofer towers of the IRS betas - an application for which they are particularly well suited at 700 WPC @ 8 ohms, 1,400 WPC @ 4 ohms, & over 2,000 WPC @ 2 ohms!

Although it is certainly possible to get better-sounding solid state amps today, at such high power outputs they sure don't come cheap!

Once I let go of the betas, I won't even have an immediate need for the Classés, but it seems wasteful, not to say un-ecological, to throw them out when a relatively cheap (or free, if the lifetime warranty is honored) fix could bring them back to life for many more years of service. I will either sell them with the betas, sell them separately, or keep them as a backup.

As a Mcintosh owner, you might understand! Some of your boys have been kept around for a very long time!

MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs

If you like the amps then have them fixed. That kind of quality power will cost a pretty penny new.

Kal Rubinson 04-21-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 912096)
Nope :no:

That was a visitor message, not a PM.

Got me. I have no idea of the difference.

Crumhorn 04-21-2018 03:53 PM

Quote (Originally Posted by admin):

"Nope

That was a visitor message, not a PM."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912165)

Nor do I - and I can't even figure out a way to send a visitor message.:scratch2:

An explanation/ tutorial would be welcome!

GSOphile 04-21-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 911909)
Considering your post is #10 that’ll be hard to do. :scratch2:

It I did return to #5 and found I overlooked the OP’s reply. :yes:

Freddie, I apologize for the error AND the snarky tone.

joey_v 04-22-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912165)

Visitor message is like a public white board, everyone can see it and everyone can see your mail.
Private message is just as the name suggests, it is private mail behind the scenes.

You need to be a subscriber to have PM.

Kal can go to any member and write on their “wall” as a visitor message. But because he’s not a subscriber he cannot send a private message.

Kal Rubinson 04-22-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 912325)
Kal can go to any member and write on their “wall” as a visitor message.

How? I have never seen this option.

Crumhorn 04-23-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 912368)
How? I have never seen this option.

Hi Kal - I had never seen or heard about this either, but in the wake of our interaction, I explored, and (think I) figured it out.

To send a "Visitor Message": Click on the name of the person you want to message & choose "View Public Profile" from the drop-down menu. Once at their Public Profile page, the 2nd "section" down, right below the "Activity" section, has a tab called "Visitor Messages". When you click on that tab, there is a text-entry box for new sending new visitor messages, and below that a list of the previous messages received by that person.

Give it a try & see if it works that way for you..

Crumhorn 05-04-2018 09:42 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up. Kal kindly emailed his contact at Classé on my behalf 2 weeks ago, on April 20. So far, I have not heard a peep from them. I'll post an update here if they ever get in touch... :sigh:

MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses

Crumhorn 06-21-2018 02:05 AM

It is now 2 months since Kal emailed his contact at Classé on my behalf. I have still heard nothing from them. So I think it is safe to say that I never will.

They may be very responsive to their recent customers (I don't know), but if my experience is any guide, the longer you keep their equipment the less likely you will receive any support from them, and at some point you will just be written off. This runs counter to my 40-year experience with high-end companies, and it doesn't sit well with me. Caveat emptor!

P.S. I should note that the OLD Classé (in Canada) was very responsive!

Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses

Masterlu 06-21-2018 09:38 PM

Well that is pretty disappointing. :(

W9TR 06-22-2018 10:17 AM

Yep. Very disappointing.

But Crumhorn the good news is that the M-700 amplifiers should be serviceable by third parties and there are manuals and schematics available online. Time to look elsewhere.

Crumhorn 06-27-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 919824)
Yep. Very disappointing.

But Crumhorn the good news is that the M-700 amplifiers should be serviceable by third parties and there are manuals and schematics available online. Time to look elsewhere.

Yes - I've found a repair shop in NY that can do the job. Now I just need to find some "muscle" to help get them there! (They're not light!) :D

W9TR 06-28-2018 02:43 PM

Good luck sir!