AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints Orientation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28766)

chessman 10-25-2014 09:03 PM

Stillpoints Orientation

The Stillpoints "technology" is housed in the beveled half. The general rule is that the bevel toward the component is the most effective (bevel up). The very significant exception to this rule is with speakers, where it is much more preferable to attach the feet to the speaker, which in most cases means the bevel half is down. The good news is that the performance is close in either orientation.

Soundserge 10-25-2014 10:35 PM

Good to know, thank you. Does anyone here either worry about or deal with 1) components sliding on top of stillpoints or 2) scratching the bottom of components? For example, I have some ultra minis under a Meridian 818 and I put small pieces of foam in between to prevent sliding and scratching. Does that make me weird?

Soundserge

j3brow 10-25-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundserge (Post 646232)
Good to know, thank you. Does anyone here either worry about or deal with 1) components sliding on top of stillpoints or 2) scratching the bottom of components? For example, I have some ultra minis under a Meridian 818 and I put small pieces of foam in between to prevent sliding and scratching. Does that make me weird? Soundserge

Doesn't make you weird, however it undoubtably will diminish performance. Relax and get rid of the foam.

analog brother 10-26-2014 01:21 AM

i had a component slide and fall off valid points once.
my mistake but lucky i caught it.......it wasn't powered up at the time fortunately. and it weighed a substantial amount...

thanks chessman, for the correct orientation, which was the one i always went with anyway.

John49 10-26-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Good to know, thank you. Does anyone here either worry about or deal with 1) components sliding on top of stillpoints or 2) scratching the bottom of components? For example, I have some ultra minis under a Meridian 818 and I put small pieces of foam in between to prevent sliding and scratching. Does that make me weird? Soundserge

I don't have anything between my equipment and the Stillpoints underneath, though I did worry about damage.

Soundserge 10-26-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 646237)
Doesn't make you weird, however it undoubtably will diminish performance. Relax and get rid of the foam.

Foam is probably the wrong word on my part. Best way to describe it is little squares of the squishy kind of double-sided tape. They provide a little bit of friction. I do worry about the effect on performance.

Masterlu 10-26-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundserge (Post 646276)
Foam is probably the wrong word on my part. Best way to describe it is little squares of the squishy kind of double-sided tape. They provide a little bit of friction. I do worry about the effect on performance.

You are compromising performance. :o

jimtranr 10-26-2014 04:28 PM

I've not had any sliding problems with "untreated" bevel-up Ultra Minis under my c-j PR17LS or Oppo BDP-83 when either component is in standby or operating mode. I do, however, remove the Minis when I swap out the 6922's in my PR17LS to preclude an unintended component "launch." And I admit to being extra careful when I load or unload discs into or from the Oppo. But those are easily-learned and -performed behaviors.

audiot servant 10-26-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

SS, you could just swap to a small piece of clear tape if you want to guard against scratching.

Don't stress too much about seeming weird, you are an audiophile so weird is in your blood.

Soundserge 10-28-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiot servant (Post 646394)
SS, you could just swap to a small piece of clear tape if you want to guard against scratching.

Don't stress too much about seeming weird, you are an audiophile so weird is in your blood.

This is true, we're just arguing over degrees of weirdness at this point :crazy: I like the clear tape idea, thanks.

Soundserge