AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bodiezaffa gets his music room (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46046)

bodiezaffa 06-14-2019 09:15 PM

Bodiezaffa gets his music room

5 Attachment(s)
6 yrs. That's how long I've listened to music in my unfinished basement.
But no more. Reno's have begun on my dedicated listening room.
Room size will be 21ft long x 13ft wide by 7'8" high. Unfortunately, supporting beams and floor configuration didn't allow for wider/higher room - I wanted 15ft - without making hallways too narrow....and 8 ft ceilings are 8ft ceilings.

To decouple the room from the rest of the house and add treatment, I chose a company called Kinetics Noise Control. Using:

WALLS:
130 each isomax clips
137 linear feet of wallmat 3 for top and bottom plates
100 each KAI-W bushings for wallmat 3 lag

CEILING:
76 each isomax clips
2 Injoist Duct Silencers.

To maintain integrity of isolation at an affordable price, no pot lights in ceiling, only wall sconces and floor lighting.

I've posted a few pics of basement before demolition and after some build.
More to come.

Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions going forward.

SCAudiophile 06-14-2019 10:10 PM

Congratulations on the start and ultimate completion of this room!!!

Masterlu 06-14-2019 10:59 PM

Double the amount of dedicated 20 amp circuits you are already planning on.

Run Cat7 everywhere you remotely think you will need it. Just photograph where they are, no need to even expose them till needed.

I use Quiet Batt between all studs; wrap plumbing drains with it also. Fix it in place with long tywraps. Since you mentioned “Kinetics Noise Control“ don’t rely solely on your drywall config for the Best sound proofing.

Don’t expect existing HVAC to heat/cool a dedicated room. For your size room, I recommend a minimum of 2 Tons additional HVAC w/ a dedicated thermostat for the room.

SCAudiophile 06-15-2019 07:53 AM

Agree with Ivan...if you are wiring from scratch, CAT7 is a minimum requirement these days and should it be available now as promised from several sources, CAT8 in-wall should be looked at as well.

2Tons HVAC,...Ivan, is this much absolutely necessary for 275 sq feet/2300 cubic feet (rounded) or are you referencing entire basement space AND dedicated room? I have 2Tons covering 1100 sq feet/9990 cubic feet on 2nd floor of house incl closets and nooks with all the heat gain and the installer told me it's more than enough. Not second guessing here,...as I am not an HVAC expert, I am curious and asking for backing detail...if our guy's calcs were wrong please let me know....

Masterlu 06-15-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 968746)
Agree with Ivan...if you are wiring from scratch, CAT7 is a minimum requirement these days and should it be available now as promised from several sources, CAT8 in-wall should be looked at as well.

2Tons HVAC,...Ivan, is this much absolutely necessary for 275 sq feet/2300 cubic feet (rounded) or are you referencing entire basement space AND dedicated room? I have 2Tons covering 1100 sq feet/9990 cubic feet on 2nd floor of house incl closets and nooks with all the heat gain and the installer told me it's more than enough. Not second guessing here,...as I am not an HVAC expert, I am curious and asking for backing detail...if our guy's calcs were wrong please let me know....

Mark... for 2300 cubic feet in a dedicated room, 2 Tons is bare minimum. When you factor in the BTU’s of each person, gear, insulation and the rise from music raising the temp, it is spot on.

I personally use a 2 Ton split just in my catwalk in the Cape. ;)

PS: just because it is in a basement, don’t be fooled thinking it will remain cool; it won’t.

PPS: A single human body produces between 250 and 400 BTUs of power, depending on its state of consciousness.

SCAudiophile 06-15-2019 09:13 AM

Thanks Ivan...good info for the future!

bart 06-15-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 968750)
Mark... for 2300 cubic feet in a dedicated room, 2 Tons is bare minimum. When you factor in the BTU’s of each person, gear, insulation and the rise from music raising the temp, it is spot on.

I personally use a 2 Ton split just in my catwalk in the Cape. ;)

PS: just because it is in a basement, don’t be fooled thinking it will remain cool; it won’t.

PPS: A single human body produces between 250 and 400 BTUs of power, depending on its state of consciousness.

When we visited you in '15 Ivan, I measured you at 750 BTUs!! :D

bodiezaffa 08-11-2019 03:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The room is complete and Im happy with it, aesthetically. Now and more important; sound control.
I have 4 Stillpoint Apeture panels which will be hung at 1st reflection point. The wood diffuser will stay at the front.
Im looking for suggestions for the front corners, back wall and back corners if needed.
Dimensions are 12.5ft wide, 20.6ft long and 7.5ft high.
Very interested to know what fellow AA members use.
Very very interested if the mfgr your endorsing has an office in Canada or any other process that doesn't add $$$ ship costs to the total.

This will be my very first dedicated listening room. As I've built my system over the last 13yrs, piece by piece, asking my system do its very best despite its environment of unfinished basement with concrete floors, concrete side walls and partially finished drywall. With the room almost finished, I am very exited to hear what the gear can really do.

mcpaf76 08-11-2019 04:10 PM

Looks great, bet you can't wait to get your gear in there.

jdandy 08-11-2019 04:41 PM

Mark.......Very nice. Great color choice, too. The results look fabulous. This is going to be an excellent dedicated audio room.

Congratulations on a job well done. . :applause: