AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Advice for Firewire (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21645)

magoo 06-16-2013 06:06 PM

Advice for Firewire

Hi.....I'm sure I'm not the only one to have read the reviews several members have posted of the Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable; if my DAC had a USB connection I'd have one by now :)

However, my DAC pre-dates the USB movement, and uses Firewire (Weiss Dac 202). Currently I'm just using an apple cable, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Firewire cable that would offer similar benefits ...Wireworld (to my knowledge) don't offer Firewire, and from a brief read around, it seems AudioQuest Diamond seems the *best* available.

If anyone has compared the AQ Diamond to their Carbon I'd love to hear your thoughts, and if anyone has any other recommendations, again I'd love to hear them.

Matt

magoo 06-18-2013 04:41 AM

I think we have have a winner ;)

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...hn-burcham.jpg

Even Mr Weiss has smelt the coffee & the DAC202 is now available with USB these days :)

custodian 06-18-2013 08:01 AM

For both FireWire and USB, the Siltech signature range is superb. I had the Wireworld USB and the Siltech was better.l

MyPal 06-18-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custodian (Post 503592)
For both FireWire and USB, the Siltech signature range is superb. I had the Wireworld USB and the Siltech was better.l

Siltech fan here but just purchased WW Platinum USB. Did you compare the Siltech G7 to the WW Platinum G7?

Glisse 06-19-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 503039)
Hi.....I'm sure I'm not the only one to have read the reviews several members have posted of the Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable; if my DAC had a USB connection I'd have one by now :)

However, my DAC pre-dates the USB movement, and uses Firewire (Weiss Dac 202). Currently I'm just using an apple cable, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Firewire cable that would offer similar benefits ...Wireworld (to my knowledge) don't offer Firewire, and from a brief read around, it seems AudioQuest Diamond seems the *best* available.

If anyone has compared the AQ Diamond to their Carbon I'd love to hear your thoughts, and if anyone has any other recommendations, again I'd love to hear them.

Matt

I have a Weiss INT202. Bought it with Oyaide/Neotech FW cable that Weiss also sell. Also bought an AQ Carbon. I can't hear any difference between them. As an aside, I have also used the DAC202 extensively. In my experience, Weiss equipment is the least influenced by cable choices of any digital products I have used.

I also have the distinct impression that Firewire itself is far less sensitive to issues such as noise over the power wire, impedance reflections, etc, that seem to affect USB.

magoo 06-19-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glisse (Post 504144)
I have a Weiss INT202. Bought it with Oyaide/Neotech FW cable that Weiss also sell. Also bought an AQ Carbon. I can't hear any difference between them. As an aside, I have also used the DAC202 extensively. In my experience, Weiss equipment is the least influenced by cable choices of any digital products I have used.

I also have the distinct impression that Firewire itself is far less sensitive to issues such as noise over the power wire, impedance reflections, etc, that seem to affect USB.

Many thanks for the replies guys, some food for thought here.

Glisse, thanks, much appreciated .......I've had definite improvements with power cords over stock, but I agree, they are less pronounced than with my amps & indeed my speakers. It also seems immune to HRS damping & feet, but a set of the tiny Oyaide carbon INS-CF's made a noticeable improvement.

As far as I understand it, firewire was originally designed with digital audio in mind, maybe for once the basic design is enough ........curiosity will doubtless kill the cat sometime thou :)