AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Complete Tube Overhaul (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35236)

HiFiCrossFit 03-24-2016 09:07 AM

Complete Tube Overhaul

Alright guys I am looking to replace all the tubes in both of my MC275s and the C2300. I know this topic has been covered here on AA and I've been searching for the threads but I still have so many questions. I know that I want to go with all Gold Lions for this first purchase and go around.

First the C2300: I am using a MC cartridge in my TT so can I just leave the stock tubes for the MM stage as is? Will these stock tubes add additional noise inside the pre-amp that would effect my line stage and MC sage?

Second: I like the look and presentation of tube depot. It makes better sense to me.
You get these options like: Balanced Triodes, High Gain, Low Noise & Microphonics, & Matching.
However I much prefer the prices I see on BNBs eBay store. But you do not get these options or at least to the point I can tell.

so Third: Do I need all those fancy things or can I just buy the correct tubes at the best price and everything will work perfectly?

Fourth: Where in the world did Bob go?

Formerly YB-2 03-24-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiCrossFit (Post 769147)
I know that I want to go with all Gold Lions for this first purchase and go around.

Think you've made the correct choice (per my ears). All GL is the way I would go, as well.
Google Jim McShane for tubes. He is a good guy and good to deal with.

PMCH 03-24-2016 10:42 AM

Trey, when I had two MC275's and a C2300, I noticed a big improvement in sound quality when I upgraded all the tubes. That is a lot of tubes and will not be inexpensive but I thought it was worth it over the stock tubes. You can leave the stock tubes in the MM section of the C2300.

HiFiCrossFit 03-24-2016 11:21 AM

Thanks for the feed back guys!
Where I am getting hung up is all the balanced/high gain/matching stuff.
And I think I remember reading somewhere that Genalex put out a better tube recently....I could be completely off on this.

Formerly YB-2 03-25-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiCrossFit (Post 769161)
And I think I remember reading somewhere that Genalex put out a better tube recently....I could be completely off on this.

Well..... Genalex (GEC) was a British vacuum tube manufacturer "back in the day" and is long gone, so they haven't and won't be making tubes any time soon. New Sensor, a company located on Long Island, NY, is producing tubes in their Russian factory using the names (Genalex, Mullard, Tung-Sol, etc.) of long defunct tube companies. Some of these tubes are quite close in design (the Gold Lion KT-88, for instance) to the originals and are excellent tubes. But, are new production in Russia rather than in the original western European factories or the USA.

HiFiCrossFit 03-31-2016 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New tubes going in. Both the C2300 and amps received all gold lions. Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

jameslrock 03-31-2016 10:54 PM

Trey: I went complete Gold Lion on my C2300 with all the choices you mentioned. I too chose and like Tube Depot in how the website allows for the understandable choices you mentioned. You did well.

HiFiCrossFit 04-01-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 771047)
Trey: I went complete Gold Lion on my C2300 with all the choices you mentioned. I too chose and like Tube Depot in how the website allows for the understandable choices you mentioned. You did well.

Thank you sir! I actually ended up using eBay for all my tubes. Saved quite a bit that way.

So I've been listening for about 30 minutes now and out of the box I'm hearing a better sound. I look forward to what it will sound like after 200 hours on them.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado