AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Using ref cd9 as transport and dac9 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43168)

sonicmatter 06-12-2018 02:07 AM

Using ref cd9 as transport and dac9

Hi guys,
Would I have the audio improve if I connect the cd9 to the dac9 using digital xlr cable? Right now the cd9 is connected directly to the pre amp using single ended cable.
Pls help as I'm about to buy a costly digital xlr cable and would like to know wether is worth it or not.

The Lost Bears 06-12-2018 12:23 PM

I would seriously doubt you would gain anything. I have a Ref CD7 and it sounds much better than my DAC8. Whether playing digital files from my computer or when I tried connecting it to my CD7 and using it as a transport. The Ref CD9 is an excellent CD player, very smooth and analog. I would not try and make it more complicated.

There are things you can do to tweak it. Replace the power cord, I like Shunyata. I makes a huge difference. Replace the ARC tube dampers with Herbie's Ultrasonic RX dampers. You may also want to replace the fuse with a Synergistic Research Blue fuse.

PlanarSpeakerFan 06-12-2018 05:26 PM

I have owned the Ref CD9 and have used it as a transport for the DAC9. While this configuration sounded excellent, I preferred the Ref CD9 by itself. In my opinion, the Ref CD9 just sounds more liquid and nuanced than the DAC9 due to its extra pair of 6H30’s and tube rectification.

Ken

gadawg 06-12-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 918613)
I have owned the Ref CD9 and have used it as a transport for the DAC9. While this configuration sounded excellent, I preferred the Ref CD9 by itself. In my opinion, the Ref CD9 just sounds more liquid and nuanced than the DAC9 due to its extra pair of 6H30’s and tube rectification.

Ken

Agreed 100%

George

sonicmatter 06-13-2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 918577)
I would seriously doubt you would gain anything. I have a Ref CD7 and it sounds much better than my DAC8. Whether playing digital files from my computer or when I tried connecting it to my CD7 and using it as a transport. The Ref CD9 is an excellent CD player, very smooth and analog. I would not try and make it more complicated.

There are things you can do to tweak it. Replace the power cord, I like Shunyata. I makes a huge difference. Replace the ARC tube dampers with Herbie's Ultrasonic RX dampers. You may also want to replace the fuse with a Synergistic Research Blue fuse.

Thank you for the response. I have changed the power cord to shunyata venom digital and u r right It did made a difference from the standard cord. Gonna try replacing the dampers and the fuse. Great information 👍

sonicmatter 06-13-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 918613)

Ken

Understood, guess I don't have to buy the digital cable n spend on dampers n the fuse. Thank you.

The Lost Bears 06-13-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicmatter (Post 918651)
Thank you for the response. I have changed the power cord to shunyata venom digital and u r right It did made a difference from the standard cord. Gonna try replacing the dampers and the fuse. Great information 👍

Though the Venom line is good, I have found the power cables in their regular line to be much better. The HC are a bit better sounding than either the Digital or Analog versions. I originally had a few Venom and I replaced them with Black Mamba CX HC. There was a big improvement in the sound especially on my preamp. I now have all Etron Alpha HC and I don't fell any need to upgrade. The Black Mamba CX HC are an excellent cable at around half the price used of the Alpha HC.

sonicmatter 06-22-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 918665)
Though the Venom line is good, I have found the power cables in their regular line to be much better. The HC are a bit better sounding than either the Digital or Analog versions. I originally had a few Venom and I replaced them with Black Mamba CX HC. There was a big improvement in the sound especially on my preamp. I now have all Etron Alpha HC and I don't fell any need to upgrade. The Black Mamba CX HC are an excellent cable at around half the price used of the Alpha HC.

I'm using the alpha HC for my pre and power amps and sounds amazing.