AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Japanese SHM-CD vs Regular CD (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44198)

The Lost Bears 10-30-2018 04:39 PM

Japanese SHM-CD vs Regular CD

Is there a worthwhile difference between the Japanese SHM-CD version of a album and the regular CD version? I assume they both use the same master. So in general, is it worth getting the Japanese Mini LP version?

audioguy3107 10-30-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 937985)
Is there a worthwhile difference between the Japanese SHM-CD version of a album and the regular CD version? I assume they both use the same master. So in general, is it worth getting the Japanese Mini LP version?

I’ve read elsewhere some different opinions on this very subject and haven’t really seen a consensus. That being said, I absolutely love the SHM SACDs....those are some of the best sounding titles I own. The Rolling Stones’ Exile on Main St and the Who’s Who’s Next are stunning. From everything I’ve read, if the masters are identical, you’d have to have a very highly resolving system to hear the difference between the standard CD and the SHM CD.

- Buck

oddeophile 10-30-2018 04:45 PM

It’s not universal. However in my experience the answer is heck yes. Specifically the platinum SHM discs and most definitely the SHM SACDs.
In regards to the latter there are two sites with reviews that are invaluable help. Sa-cd.net and hraudio.net.
You can google the CD title and search for the regular or platinum SHM CD to see if there are general reviews on the web.

audioguy3107 10-30-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddeophile (Post 937988)
It’s not universal. However in my experience the answer is heck yes. Specifically the platinum SHM discs and most definitely the SHM SACDs.
In regards to the latter there are two sites with reviews that are invaluable help. Sa-cd.net and hraudio.net.
You can google the CD title and search for the regular or platinum SHM CD to see if there are general reviews on the web.

I would also recommend the Steve Hoffman Forums which is where I turn for a lot of music advice....pressings, mastering info, etc. tons of info over there.

- Buck

The Lost Bears 10-30-2018 05:02 PM

Thanks! I have started seeing some of these SHM-CDs appear at the used record store. I think I will start picking up a few of these for a serious listen.

bart 10-30-2018 05:11 PM

They are still massively produced in Japan.
I also like them.

cma29 10-30-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 937995)
They are still massively produced in Japan.
I also like them.

+1

Faintandfuzzy 12-25-2018 12:29 PM

While I can't confirm whether or not they come from the same master, the first SHM CD I ever bought was Steve Winwood's Back In The High Life. Simply awesome!

ariess 12-25-2018 05:54 PM

Love the SHM discs

crwilli 12-25-2018 07:49 PM

I only have the SHM-SACDs of Dire Straits and they are all great.