AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Movies (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is "The Martian" loud? Worried about my hearing and tinnitus (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33451)

Alberto 10-25-2015 01:07 PM

Is "The Martian" loud? Worried about my hearing and tinnitus

Hey guys,

Last week-end I was at a wedding reception where I subjected my poor ears to 2hrs of very loud background noise: Too many people, talking too loud in an acoustically reverberant space. It was so loud I put in a pair of earplugs but still got a pretty nasty tinnitus spike after it which I am still dealing with.

My wife and I would like to go see The Martian, but I need to give my ears a rest and I am concerned that, like many movies these days, the audio effects get VERY loud. Some times, we are watching a movie in one theater room and can hear the rumbling bass from the adjacent theater. I want to save my, still quite good, hearing for music not for explosions :-).

If you have seen The Martian, do you remember it being particularly loud? I've read the book and I remember some storm scenes which could be particularly high volume.

I will definitely wear ear plugs, but when they blast 120db sounds, they are not that effective.

Thank you for any feedback you might have. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case.

Alberto

Jack in Wilmington 10-25-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 736076)
Hey guys,

Last week-end I was at a wedding reception where I subjected my poor ears to 2hrs of very loud background noise: Too many people, talking too loud in an acoustically reverberant space. It was so loud I put in a pair of earplugs but still got a pretty nasty tinnitus spike after it which I am still dealing with.

My wife and I would like to go see The Martian, but I need to give my ears a rest and I am concerned that, like many movies these days, the audio effects get VERY loud. Some times, we are watching a movie in one theater room and can hear the rumbling bass from the adjacent theater. I want to save my, still quite good, hearing for music not for explosions :-).

If you have seen The Martian, do you remember it being particularly loud? I've read the book and I remember some storm scenes which could be particularly high volume.

I will definitely wear ear plugs, but when they blast 120db sounds, they are not that effective.

Thank you for any feedback you might have. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case.

Alberto

There are some loud sound effects in the movie. I'd make sure you're in the back row.

Still-One 10-25-2015 04:51 PM

We did walk out of the IMAX version of the last Star Trek movie and asked for tickets to the regular showing. It was somewhat tolerable in that theater.

I hate all the frig,,,,,,,,, sound effects in current movies. They can't write dialog so the blow some shit up. Idiots.

Masterlu 10-25-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 736131)
We did walk out of the IMAX version of the last Star Trek movie and asked for tickets to the regular showing. It was somewhat tolerable in that theater.

I hate all the frig,,,,,,,,, sound effects in current movies. They can't write dialog so the blow some shit up. Idiots.

Jim... you should be safe with "Star Wars - The Force Awakens". :D

Still-One 10-25-2015 05:34 PM

I didn't see the last three so this one is still up in the air. Will have to see whether Linda wants to see it. :dunno:

scirica 10-25-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 736131)

Come on man...This is why we spend 100's of thousands of $$ on home theater. Not the dialogue. :)

Rilands 10-25-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 736076)
If you have seen The Martian, do you remember it being particularly loud?

Alberto, I don't remember it being to loud at all. I do remember it being to long, just like almost all the movies these days.

bart 10-25-2015 06:33 PM

Alberto, I have personalized ear plugs.
I'll always take them on weddings on other occasions where I expect loud music/noise.
They really help.

PlanarSpeakerFan 10-25-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 736167)
Alberto, I have personalized ear plugs.
I'll always take them on weddings on other occasions where I expect loud music/noise.
They really help.

+1

I don't go to the movies much but I always bring ear plugs for any live music.

Ken

Still-One 10-25-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 736153)
Come on man...This is why we spend 100's of thousands of $$ on home theater. Not the dialogue. :)

My HT is for sports. I see movies where they were meant to be seen, on the big screen with a lot of other people.