AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   P10 and stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28839)

TLi 11-01-2014 11:09 PM

P10 and stillpoints

For those who are using P10, or I suppose P5, at least try to use some forms of isolation under the powerplants.

Most of us would have some cones and footers in the bag. The effect of them can be quite dramatic.

I have just swap my stillpoints ultra SS from the upsampler to P10 which is feeding all front ends. Everything is enhanced with no drawback.

Masterlu 11-01-2014 11:45 PM

Pretty amazing how they work their Magic; Thanks for sharing!

j3brow 11-01-2014 11:51 PM

My P10 was the first place I put Stillpoints. (4) Ultra SS are under my P10. They were a set loaned to me by my dealer. I repeatedly A/B the Ultra 5 against Symposium HDSE Rollerblocks. The Ultras were clearly better. I too implore anyone with a P10 to arrange a home demo or take a leap of faith. You will not regret it. Now, my speakers and components are all sitting on Stillpoints with more to come.

lloydelee21 11-02-2014 06:20 AM

Congrats...and agree that power conditioners/distribution is a big beneficiary of isolation. In fact, for me, it was speakers first...then power conditioner, then power supplies and amp...and eventually I got around to preamp/dac...and last I did transport which benefited least of all 16 individual components. Not at all what I expected!!!

audio bill 11-02-2014 09:19 AM

I'm not at all surprised by the impact of Stillpoints under a P5 or P10, since they are actually high powered amplifiers which are generating the power for your system.

scirica 11-02-2014 10:41 AM

Ok. I'm convinced. Stillpoints under the P5 will be my first location.

John49 11-02-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 647770)
I'm not at all surprised by the impact of Stillpoints under a P5 or P10, since they are actually high powered amplifiers which are generating the power for your system.

Exactly what I thought, but didn't put it into words on AA. Thank you.

rnrmf1971 11-03-2014 02:05 PM

Can someone describe the sound improvement of using this on one of these power regenerators? Is there a tonal change?

lloydelee21 11-03-2014 02:20 PM

Hi Christian,

The sound improvement is one of delineation and clarity...multiple lines of an ensembles suddenly become MUCH easier to follow independently if you wish...or as an ensembles of musical lines. Additionally, depth and decay are improved so that the music feels like it has a more natural acoustic in which to deliver the sound...less 'scrunched up'.

As for tonality, this is a big matter of debate...I admit to being freakishly careful about tone and tonal weight. Having studied piano for 12 years, it is important the keyboard have the weight and balance across the entire keyboard...if middle C gets a bit liteweight, it bothers me. In the case of putting Ultra 5s under my power conditioner, yes this happened...but the clarity was so dramatic, it was depressing to think about going without it now that I'd heard it.

in the end, I use HRS Nimbus Couplers on TOP of the Ultra 5s, and THEN put the power conditioner on top. And for me, this worked brilliantly. absolute tonal weight and all the clarity and detail that really is a joy to listen to.

interestingly, I spoke with a dealer who will carry stillpoints, and he had the exact same observation and called me to ask me about it. I shared with him my 'solution' which worked for me, and he may try it.

my two cents and my experience. hope its helpful. good luck.

chessman 11-03-2014 03:27 PM

I have not heard any tonal shifts (but I have nowhere the ears that lloydelee21 has). I did take Frequency Response and RTA measurements before and after adding Stillpoints to my speakers and they were the same. I have not done so since adding them to my amp and power distributor, but I have not heard anything amiss. I think the phrase "improvement ... of delination and clarity" is a very apt description of what is going on with Stillpoints. :thumbsup: