AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   B&O Beogram 4002 Turntable repair NC/SC/VA? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47173)

jameslrock 12-02-2019 01:06 PM

B&O Beogram 4002 Turntable repair NC/SC/VA?

I am having speed fluctuation issues with my office turntable, the B&O Beogram 4002. I want to keep this turntable as it is fantastic cosmetic condition and goes well with my office system from the same period. I do not want to ship for repair as I have already lost one turntable shipping to and from for repair. I would like to find a repair shop in NC/SC/VA that is a day trip to and from my home in Greensboro NC. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Jim

jameslrock 12-02-2019 11:58 PM

help please :)

crwilli 12-03-2019 12:31 AM

Can’t help you Jim. Not sure why you would spend money to repair an old TT. Not sure why you bother with a TT at all. ;)

W9TR 12-03-2019 01:34 AM

It’s a classic and deserves to live!

Jim, you might try BeoWorld to see if there is someone near you who services these TT’s. Beolover comes to mind but I think he is in Florida.

Mine is in storage waiting for me to restore it.

JMD 12-03-2019 01:36 AM

The last place I knew of that worked on that series of B&O TT's was Soundsmith and that was years ago when I got a quote for working on an 8002. I still had all the original packaging so double boxing for shipping wasn't the issue. The quote was for just looking at it was with no estimate for repairs. Even before they bailed out of the US the authorized service centers were terrible. After 15 years of service, last three were hit or miss, I just gave mine away.

jameslrock 12-03-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 987790)
Can’t help you Jim. Not sure why you would spend money to repair an old TT. Not sure why you bother with a TT at all. ;)

You are such a funny guy. :) I have history here.

jameslrock 12-03-2019 10:56 AM

I called SoundSmith a while ago and they will only take in if can carry it to them. They will not mess with shipping as they have had bad situations with shipping damage after they repair. I had spoken with BeoLover and I think he is the real deal but he is not taking any restorations for now. I had driven it to Benny Amina in Roswell Georgia back in 2015 and I thought he did good work. That is a long round trip to drop off. I already lost one TT to shipping so I do not want to lose this one. Suggestions appreciated.

crwilli 12-03-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 987815)
You are such a funny guy. :) I have history here.

Just kidding. Good luck with it.

W9TR 12-03-2019 12:42 PM

B&O Beogram 4002 Turntable repair NC/SC/VA?

The motor speed issue is common. My TT has it very intermittently. There are a couple of caps in the motor control circuit that go bad over time and need to be replaced.

I have researched the issue and I think I could walk a competent tech through the repair if you have a local person you trust.

Tom

jameslrock 02-17-2020 09:01 PM

My brother happened to go to Atlanta this weekend and picked up the turntable today. I will meet up with him soon to receive. Benny Amina of Modular Electronics in Roswell GA did the repair. He replaced the motor and relay. He told my brother my turntable is one of the best he has seen of this age. Nice to hear. He carefully wrapped the turntable and my brother carefully placed in the floor of the car (at least I hope so :) ). I have the VPI Classic Signature with my main system but in a way I am as much or more excited to see the B&O back in play. Nostalgia.