AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Streaming & Television Shows (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Just cut the DirecTV cord. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45091)

jdandy 02-09-2019 09:31 PM

Just cut the DirecTV cord.

My DirecTV service finally reached a price where I am no longer willing to be a subscriber, so today I canceled my DirecTV satellite service. I have subscribed to satellite television on my property since 1990 when the rural satellite provider here was Pegasus Satellite. DirecTV bought them out in 1996, and AT&T bought DirecTV last year. My satellite television bill was under $50.00 a month for years, then gradually began to creep upward with DirecTV. When AT&T bought DirecTV they immediately introduced price increases, and have since raised their monthly subscription twice again, once in December of last year, and again at the end of January of this year. My most recent bill was $161.18 for a month's satellite service. That is $1,934.16 a year. Nearly $2K a year for TV is ridiculous in my opinion, particularly since I am only interested in less than 10 channels of the 280 channels my plan includes. I got to thinking about it today and decided I just don't need any of their programming, so it's bye-bye, adios, arrivederci, au revoir, sayonara, and adieu to DirecTV.

I currently subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Prime for a grand total of $38.00 a month. That's all the television I'll ever need, especially since I am not a TV person to begin with. I can always install a digital antenna to receive the local television broadcasts out of Gainesville and Tallahassee, Florida, and Valdosta, Georgia if I wish to receive their channels. All those signals are broadcast in high definition over the air for free. My local weather and weather radar comes to me via the Internet, as does current events and world news. Screw AT&T DirecTV. They have lost a 29 year satellite television customer by pricing their product beyond its value to me.

SAPHANA 02-09-2019 09:47 PM

Congrats Dan. I have been TV free for 20 years. I still watch TV shows/news though, through Hulu and YouTube.

crwilli 02-09-2019 09:48 PM

I am actively exploring doing the same thing. The only thing that gives me pause is loosing the ability to ever see my baseball team play and the direction the video world is going. Namely, every content owner is slowly but surely creating their own streaming service such that Netflix and Amazon and Hulu could well be obsolete in a few years. You therefore will need multiple annual subscriptions to cobble together the 10-15 channels you might watch.

I too hate what Direct TV costs but worry the future could cost more with less.

Questortapes74 02-09-2019 10:18 PM

Congratulations Dan. “Somebody has to kill the babysitter”...

https://i.postimg.cc/Zn00F79b/93087-...B901-BD729.jpg

:D :D :D

Higgens 02-09-2019 10:30 PM

Kudos to you Dan for standing up to the price increases. How did Marlene take the news?

BuffaloBill 02-09-2019 10:56 PM

I have had Playstation Vue now for about 2 years and better than previous satellite. $50/month currently.

Antonmb 02-09-2019 11:59 PM

I’ve been a Directv user since the 90s as well, but my bill is only $87/month, maybe because I don’t subscribe to any sports channels or any premium channels like HBO. I’d be glad to get rid of the dish, but unfortunately it’s the only option if we want any tv. Before Directv, it took a large roof antennae with a rotor just to get one fuzzy CBC channel from Vancouver, and with 2-3mb DSL, Netflix can get pretty blurry too.

The Lost Bears 02-10-2019 12:01 AM

Good for you. We cut the cable a couple of years ago. There is actually quite a bit broadcast digtally over the air. Local news and weather as well as a lot of other stuff. And what is not, we can usually find on Yesmovies the next day. All in all though, we watch a lot less television and that is a good thing.

Masterlu 02-10-2019 12:05 AM

I got rid of DirecTV and replaced it with Comcast about a year ago. Comcast is less than half for comparable service/channels.

Macuser 02-10-2019 05:09 AM

I just reconnected to Direct tv having been gone for many years. Currently I have their "introductory pricing" for the next year. I noticed yesterday on my first bill there's a huge price increase coming at the end of that year. No doubt it'll be bye bye Direct tv for me next year.