AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   800 or 802 D3 sub required? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43261)

hdvidguy 06-26-2018 09:29 PM

800 or 802 D3 sub required?

I currently have 802N with Paradigm Sub 2. Wondering if anyone has experience with either the 800 or 802 D3 with a great sub and if it’s needed. I listen mostly to music approximately 80% of the time.

Grasshopper 06-26-2018 09:53 PM

I don’t know the D3, but my signature 800s needed a sub (I ended up with two fathoms).

I was disappointed to need subs.

My friend has the d2 800s and he needed a single fathom as well.

Kal Rubinson 06-26-2018 10:04 PM

If we are talking about stereo or multichannel music, I rarely ever use the subs with the 802D3s unless there is a sub signal on the recording.

GBP 06-27-2018 03:16 AM

I own 802D3. And i own a DB2D.
I can't imagine all that WOW-Sound without the Sub. It helps everywhere. It helps to make and feel a room. It does so much deep down there.

Yes, even with the 802 and 800D3 the big grin stays always in your face and your brain. You need it. A DB1D or DB2D. Nothing below.

Cincy2 06-27-2018 07:21 AM

I use a pair of REL subs with my set up. I was put -off when someone suggested adding a pair after having paid a princely sum for speakers. Until I had my room voiced by a professional who showed me how to read the room response using pink noise and an iPad based spectrum analyzer / microphone. It showed that when we got the response nice and flat from 200Hz upward, there was a bass dip between 80 and 200Hz. If we got that flat, the higher frequencies were off. No amount of speaker movement, wall treatments or listening chair variations made it better. The problem was a characteristic of my room dimensions. Enter the subs. By varying the volume and the cut, I've been able to get a very satisfactory measured response which has translated into a fantastic presentation of the sound.

Cincy

4music 06-27-2018 02:27 PM

I never heard the need for a sub with my 802 D3. I listen to music only, no movies.

GBP 06-28-2018 09:35 AM

Well, in terms of frequency response, it seems as if you really don't need a subwoofer as it goes very deep. The diagram already looks really great. But... The sub brings you so much more.
It brings a lot more relaxation. It brings a lot more excitement. In music, too.
You should not only assume that you only need a sub if you want to experience crashing explosions in movies. Nope.
You actually have to try it out and experience it for yourself and please don't just listen to the usual slightly plucked guitar sounds, which are totally boring anyway.
Kool & The Gang, the live CD. Just wow! Madonna's live CDs. Wow! Air. Sia. Misty Boyce. Snarky Puppy! Even normal Netflix series gain more information.

If the sub here had suddenly disappeared, the system would be a completely different one.

I bought the DB2D before the 802D3 and... Somehow... Of course, the 802D3s are awesome. No question about it. But what impresses me most is the Sub. Together with the 802D3.
Without Sub: A great cat. With Sub: An incredibly good tiger. Everywhere.

hdvidguy 06-28-2018 01:04 PM

Kal,
I listen mostly to 2 channel music via CD or Tidal.

Running low end frequency sweeps 10 hz up to around 70hz and using a good sound meter will clue you into what you may or may not be missing. For me, w/o a sub I had a big bass bump around 45hz in my room. With the sub I’m now flat with a very small bump at 20hz. You can find frequency sweep tones on the internet for free download.

Kal Rubinson 06-28-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 920706)
Kal,
I listen mostly to 2 channel music via CD or Tidal.

Running low end frequency sweeps 10 hz up to around 70hz and using a good sound meter will clue you into what you may or may not be missing. For me, w/o a sub I had a big bass bump around 45hz in my room. With the sub I’m now flat with a very small bump at 20hz. You can find frequency sweep tones on the internet for free download.

You can easily EQ the bass in the main speakers to eliminate room interaction and get the 802D3s flat to 20Hz. I use the subs only for 5.1 tracks or out of curiosity.

Levitator 06-29-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 920748)
You can easily EQ the bass in the main speakers to eliminate room interaction and get the 802D3s flat to 20Hz. I use the subs only for 5.1 tracks or out of curiosity.

Hi Kal -sorry if it’s a silly question, but how do you go about doing this?