AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Sigma s/pdif Digital Cable Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46429)

jdandy 08-13-2019 03:11 PM

Shunyata Sigma s/pdif Digital Cable Review

by J. Dan Daniell

Here we go again, Shunyata Sigma cables Round 2.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b633d95c_z.jpg

After my exhilarating experience with the Shunyata Sigma USB cable, now installed between the Aurender N100H music server and the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC in the living room system, I grew curious to try a Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable in the studio system between my Aurender N10 music server and the Esoteric K-01X DAC. I could not overlook the possibility of achieving higher performance from the digital source components in the studio. I wasn’t exactly chomping at the bit to write a second big check for another Shunyata Sigma series cable, but every moment I spent listening to the Sigma USB cable in the living room system intensified my desire to connect the N10 to the K-01X with a Sigma series digital cable. The call was made, trigger pulled, and once again I witnessed a siphoning vortex appear in my bank account. Silly me, I actually thought 2019 would be the year of zero upgrades. Somebody help me!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...52374c08dc.jpg

The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is beautifully constructed. The proprietary Transverse Axial Polarizer (TAP) is in place near the source end of the cable. It is a slightly smaller version of the TAP installed on the Sigma series USB cable. The patent pending device consists of an encapsulated series of 18 discs with specific thickness, diameter, and spacing through which the s/pdif digital cable passes. This technology was invented and engineered by Shunyata Research founder Caelin Gabriel. The purpose of TAP, described in my simplistic layman’s terms, is to minimize electromagnetic polarization which improves sound quality. The premium RCA connectors on this 75 ohm coaxial digital cable are works of art. Each connector terminates to Ohno Continuous Cast Copper wire that is extruded at one-quarter normal wire extrusion speed. This manufacturing process produces stringent tolerances, thus ensuring critical impedance characteristics. Shunyata calls this process Precision Matched Z (PMZ). There is a silver-plated braided shield, and conductor insulation uses exotic fluorocarbon dielectrics. Serious attention to detail goes into hand assembling the Shunyata Sigma series cables. Each Sigma cable then goes through Shunyata’s proprietary Kinetic Phase Inversion Process (KPIP). It is an advanced process that goes beyond simple burn-in and literally conditions conductors. Cables treated with KPIP are said to require no additional break-in. The Sigma s/pdif cables are packaged in a round padded zippered pouch with the Shunyata logo embossed on one side, contributing a pleasant presentation to new owners.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...839d04c08b.jpg

I was excited to put the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable in service. It was purchased as a contender for replacement of a Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X DAC in the studio sound system. The Platinum Starlight has been my reference digital coaxial cable for several years. Despite knowing that Shunyata’s KPIP break-in process was performed at the factory and should negate any additional break-in requirements, I decided to allow the Sigma s/pdif cable to be in use for an additional 100+ hours of continuous play before I began any serious cable comparisons. Call me crazy if you want, but I believe in allowing electron flow to be carried out over an extended period of time before passing judgement on performance. I theorize there is a molecular settling that takes place when a cable or electronic component is used in the actual manner intended. Whether this is fact or just a peculiar mind set I embrace, I am more comfortable offering personal opinions about what I hear after a substantial period of time has passed with a cable or component in normal use. I installed the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X, gave it a brief listen, then left the gear energized with an Aurender playlist on continuous repeat and left the studio. That was a Wednesday afternoon. By the following Monday at noon when I returned to the studio the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif cable had 116 hours of continuous signal passing through it. That number of hours satisfied my break-in hypochondria.

The sound system for this cable comparison consists of a McIntosh C1000C/P preamplifier, McIntosh MC2301 mono tube power amplifiers, PurePower 2000 AC regenerator with battery backup, 20 amp dedicate circuit on a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE outlet, Aurender N10 music server, Esoteric K-01X SACD/CD/DAC, and Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers.

To begin the comparison I removed the Shunyata Sigma cable and reinstalled the Wireworld Platinum Starlight cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X so that my first impressions would be familiar, a base reference point if you will. Swapping the digital cables was a bit of a chore, requiring me to reach around behind the rack while supporting myself over the left channel MC2301 power amplifier. It was a contortionist’s nightmare trying to reach the music server and DAC connections. Having to swap the digital cables back and forth negated my ability to perform direct A/B comparisons on the fly, thus requiring a bit of auditory memory to come into play. As notoriously unreliable as that can often be, I remained confident in my subjective ability to acquire qualitative information while comparing the sound of each cable. The short time lapse between digital cable swaps did not negatively impact my concentration.

First to be played was Muscle Shoals – Small Town Big Sound, “Gotta Serve Somebody”. The opening harmonica and electronic keyboard was well portrayed as Willie Nelson’s distinct voice appeared center of the soundstage. This song has Willie singing the lyrics alternately with Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, and Lee Ann Womack. The bass begins a couple of bars into the song and was robust and deep. Background harmonies remained clear and intelligible. Over all a very enjoyable performance. Taking a minute or so to swap in the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable, I replayed “Gotta Serve Somebody”. Within the first ten seconds into this song it was apparent the soundstage gained a sharper focus, particularly a sensation of added depth and air between vocals and instruments. Willie Nelson’s voice and the background vocals secured a more accurately defined location. When the bass came in it sounded fatter, producing firmer low frequency impact and a more involving decay. The voices of Willie, Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, and Lee Ann Womack stepped forward in the soundstage, creating the illusion of being in the center of the room. At the end of the song an electric guitar and harmonica brought a conclusion to the performance. The Shunyata Sigma cable reproduced a convincing holographic scene that remained evident in my mind to the last fading sounds of the two instruments. It was mesmerizing.

Wrestling once again behind the audio rack I returned the Wireworld Platinum Starlight coaxial cable to the system, this time playing Shelby Lynn – Just A Little Lovin’, “Breakfast In Bed”. This slow tempo tune has Shelby’s voice centered in the soundstage, electronic keyboard in the right channel, slide guitar in the left channel, with bass and drums spread across both channels. The drumstick rim taps were clear and crisp. The Platinum Starlight cable rendered a very clean three dimensional performance, exactly as I have enjoyed it for years. Pausing once again I reinstalled the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable and replayed “Breakfast In Bed”. From the clearly defined tone of the first drumstick rim taps and bass notes, even before Shelby’s voice appeared, the crystalline quality of the sound was perfectly reproduced in a pin-sharp soundstage. Shelby’s voice gained an intimate level of realism that pulled me emotionally closer, while the attendant weight of the bass became more distinguished. The transparency of the Shunyata Sigma digital cable was immediately discernible.

By this time it was understandably clear the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable was outperforming the Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable, although it wasn’t a complete knockout. The Platinum Starlight coaxial cable is very good, but the results I heard with the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable makes the inclusion of this digital cable a must have in the studio sound system. It ushers in an essence of life to the sound that consistently demonstrates master quality reproduction, disclosing striking dynamics, and inducing an infinitely black background that allows micro dynamics to be discovered and identified at great depth. The Sigma s/pdif digital cable effortlessly contributes authentic status to the sound of all instruments and voices. Once heard, this level of performance cannot be denied.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c25280ca9e.jpg

So, is the price of admission worth it? There is no doubt the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is expensive. A one meter length retails for $2,000.00. The one meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight coaxial cable retails for $1,500.00. I asked myself, is the $500.00 difference worth it? The answer is unequivocally yes, the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is worth it. The price difference between Wireworld’s and Shunyata’s premium digital cables is more than justified by the Sigma series upraised transparency, focus, clarity, dynamic energy, and absolute silence. The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable honestly conveys the full measure of what has been recorded.

I went on to audition several more excellent recordings before I grew tired of grappling behind my audio rack to swap the digital cables. These recordings included Anders Widmark Trio – Visor, “Felicia Adjo”, Chantel Chamberland – Autobiography, “Crazy”, Eva Cassidy – Live At Blues Alley, “Tall Trees In Georgia”, and Acoustic Alchemy – Aart, “Cactus Blue”. In each instance the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable presented a more vivid lifelike audio experience, capturing my attention to a greater extent. On occasion I caught myself in near disbelief at the realism of what I was experiencing.

It was the Shunyata Sigma USB cable now installed in the living room sound system that ultimately encouraged me to venture farther into Shunyata’s Sigma series cables. I am thoroughly impressed and can say with confidence the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable will not disappoint even the most diehard audio enthusiasts. The essence of this digital cable can be described with a single word, invisible. It is just you and the music.

salamander 08-13-2019 03:32 PM

Dan, A very well-written and insightful review as usual. Thank you for sharing your perspective on the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable. I fear the siphoning vortex you described will soon shift to my bank account!

bart 08-13-2019 04:37 PM

Dan, as usual a very good and convincing review. :thumbsup:

Caelin, take a deep breath and prepare yourself for overwork! :D

edward3132 08-13-2019 05:21 PM

Dan

Great review. I have been a fan of Shunyata for some time now.

Are the speaker cables and analog cables next?

Ed

Puma Cat 08-13-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 976003)
by J. Dan Daniell

Here we go again, Shunyata Sigma cables Round 2.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b633d95c_z.jpg

After my exhilarating experience with the Shunyata Sigma USB cable, now installed between the Aurender N100H music server and the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC in the living room system, I grew curious to try a Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable in the studio system between my Aurender N10 music server and the Esoteric K-01X DAC. I could not overlook the possibility of achieving higher performance from the digital source components in the studio. I wasn’t exactly chomping at the bit to write a second big check for another Shunyata Sigma series cable, but every moment I spent listening to the Sigma USB cable in the living room system intensified my desire to connect the N10 to the K-01X with a Sigma series digital cable. The call was made, trigger pulled, and once again I witnessed a siphoning vortex appear in my bank account. Silly me, I actually thought 2019 would be the year of zero upgrades. Somebody help me!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...52374c08dc.jpg

The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is beautifully constructed. The proprietary Transverse Axial Polarizer (TAP) is in place near the source end of the cable. It is a slightly smaller version of the TAP installed on the Sigma series USB cable. The patent pending device consists of an encapsulated series of 18 discs with specific thickness, diameter, and spacing through which the s/pdif digital cable passes. This technology was invented and engineered by Shunyata Research founder Caelin Gabriel. The purpose of TAP, described in my simplistic layman’s terms, is to minimize electromagnetic polarization which improves sound quality. The premium RCA connectors on this 75 ohm coaxial digital cable are works of art. Each connector terminates to Ohno Continuous Cast Copper wire that is extruded at one-quarter normal wire extrusion speed. This manufacturing process produces stringent tolerances, thus ensuring critical impedance characteristics. Shunyata calls this process Precision Matched Z (PMZ). There is a silver-plated braided shield, and conductor insulation uses exotic fluorocarbon dielectrics. Serious attention to detail goes into hand assembling the Shunyata Sigma series cables. Each Sigma cable then goes through Shunyata’s proprietary Kinetic Phase Inversion Process (KPIP). It is an advanced process that goes beyond simple burn-in and literally conditions conductors. Cables treated with KPIP are said to require no additional break-in. The Sigma s/pdif cables are packaged in a round padded zippered pouch with the Shunyata logo embossed on one side, contributing a pleasant presentation to new owners.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...839d04c08b.jpg

I was excited to put the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable in service. It was purchased as a contender for replacement of a Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X DAC in the studio sound system. The Platinum Starlight has been my reference digital coaxial cable for several years. Despite knowing that Shunyata’s KPIP break-in process was performed at the factory and should negate any additional break-in requirements, I decided to allow the Sigma s/pdif cable to be in use for an additional 100+ hours of continuous play before I began any serious cable comparisons. Call me crazy if you want, but I believe in allowing electron flow to be carried out over an extended period of time before passing judgement on performance. I theorize there is a molecular settling that takes place when a cable or electronic component is used in the actual manner intended. Whether this is fact or just a peculiar mind set I embrace, I am more comfortable offering personal opinions about what I hear after a substantial period of time has passed with a cable or component in normal use. I installed the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X, gave it a brief listen, then left the gear energized with an Aurender playlist on continuous repeat and left the studio. That was a Wednesday afternoon. By the following Monday at noon when I returned to the studio the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif cable had 116 hours of continuous signal passing through it. That number of hours satisfied my break-in hypochondria.

The sound system for this cable comparison consists of a McIntosh C1000C/P preamplifier, McIntosh MC2301 mono tube power amplifiers, PurePower 2000 AC regenerator with battery backup, 20 amp dedicate circuit on a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE outlet, Aurender N10 music server, Esoteric K-01X SACD/CD/DAC, and Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers.

To begin the comparison I removed the Shunyata Sigma cable and reinstalled the Wireworld Platinum Starlight cable between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X so that my first impressions would be familiar, a base reference point if you will. Swapping the digital cables was a bit of a chore, requiring me to reach around behind the rack while supporting myself over the left channel MC2301 power amplifier. It was a contortionist’s nightmare trying to reach the music server and DAC connections. Having to swap the digital cables back and forth negated my ability to perform direct A/B comparisons on the fly, thus requiring a bit of auditory memory to come into play. As notoriously unreliable as that can often be, I remained confident in my subjective ability to acquire qualitative information while comparing the sound of each cable. The short time lapse between digital cable swaps did not negatively impact my concentration.

First to be played was Muscle Shoals – Small Town Big Sound, “Gotta Serve Somebody”. The opening harmonica and electronic keyboard was well portrayed as Willie Nelson’s distinct voice appeared center of the soundstage. This song has Willie singing the lyrics alternately with Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, and Lee Ann Womack. The bass begins a couple of bars into the song and was robust and deep. Background harmonies remained clear and intelligible. Over all a very enjoyable performance. Taking a minute or so to swap in the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable, I replayed “Gotta Serve Somebody”. Within the first ten seconds into this song it was apparent the soundstage gained a sharper focus, particularly a sensation of added depth and air between vocals and instruments. Willie Nelson’s voice and the background vocals secured a more accurately defined location. When the bass came in it sounded fatter, producing firmer low frequency impact and a more involving decay. The voices of Willie, Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, and Lee Ann Womack stepped forward in the soundstage, creating the illusion of being in the center of the room. At the end of the song an electric guitar and harmonica brought a conclusion to the performance. The Shunyata Sigma cable reproduced a convincing holographic scene that remained evident in my mind to the last fading sounds of the two instruments. It was mesmerizing.

Wrestling once again behind the audio rack I returned the Wireworld Platinum Starlight coaxial cable to the system, this time playing Shelby Lynn – Just A Little Lovin’, “Breakfast In Bed”. This slow tempo tune has Shelby’s voice centered in the soundstage, electronic keyboard in the right channel, slide guitar in the left channel, with bass and drums spread across both channels. The drumstick rim taps were clear and crisp. The Platinum Starlight cable rendered a very clean three dimensional performance, exactly as I have enjoyed it for years. Pausing once again I reinstalled the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable and replayed “Breakfast In Bed”. From the clearly defined tone of the first drumstick rim taps and bass notes, even before Shelby’s voice appeared, the crystalline quality of the sound was perfectly reproduced in a pin-sharp soundstage. Shelby’s voice gained an intimate level of realism that pulled me emotionally closer, while the attendant weight of the bass became more distinguished. The transparency of the Shunyata Sigma digital cable was immediately discernible.

By this time it was understandably clear the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable was outperforming the Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable, although it wasn’t a complete knockout. The Platinum Starlight coaxial cable is very good, but the results I heard with the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable makes the inclusion of this digital cable a must have in the studio sound system. It ushers in an essence of life to the sound that consistently demonstrates master quality reproduction, disclosing striking dynamics, and inducing an infinitely black background that allows micro dynamics to be discovered and identified at great depth. The Sigma s/pdif digital cable effortlessly contributes authentic status to the sound of all instruments and voices. Once heard, this level of performance cannot be denied.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c25280ca9e.jpg

So, is the price of admission worth it? There is no doubt the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is expensive. A one meter length retails for $2,000.00. The one meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight coaxial cable retails for $1,500.00. I asked myself, is the $500.00 difference worth it? The answer is unequivocally yes, the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is worth it. The price difference between Wireworld’s and Shunyata’s premium digital cables is more than justified by the Sigma series upraised transparency, focus, clarity, dynamic energy, and absolute silence. The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable honestly conveys the full measure of what has been recorded.

I went on to audition several more excellent recordings before I grew tired of grappling behind my audio rack to swap the digital cables. These recordings included Anders Widmark Trio – Visor, “Felicia Adjo”, Chantel Chamberland – Autobiography, “Crazy”, Eva Cassidy – Live At Blues Alley, “Tall Trees In Georgia”, and Acoustic Alchemy – Aart, “Cactus Blue”. In each instance the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable presented a more vivid lifelike audio experience, capturing my attention to a greater extent. On occasion I caught myself in near disbelief at the realism of what I was experiencing.

It was the Shunyata Sigma USB cable now installed in the living room sound system that ultimately encouraged me to venture farther into Shunyata’s Sigma series cables. I am thoroughly impressed and can say with confidence the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable will not disappoint even the most diehard audio enthusiasts. The essence of this digital cable can be described with a single word, invisible. It is just you and the music.

Another excellent review, Dan! Thank you so much for the work you put into this and for writing it up.

You set the bar for the rest of us! Kudos! :thumbsup:

jdandy 08-13-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salamander (Post 976004)
Dan, A very well-written and insightful review as usual. Thank you for sharing your perspective on the Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital coaxial cable. I fear the siphoning vortex you described will soon shift to my bank account!

Richard.......I hear you loud and clear.

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?thu...f6b465d5151951

jdandy 08-13-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 976011)
Dan, as usual a very good and convincing review. :thumbsup:

Caelin, take a deep breath and prepare yourself for overwork! :D

Bart.......Thank you. Caelin and company are already experiencing serious demand for their products.

Masterlu 08-13-2019 06:42 PM

Dan... Outstanding review, once again; thank you.

jdandy 08-13-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward3132 (Post 976013)
Dan

Great review. I have been a fan of Shunyata for some time now.

Are the speaker cables and analog cables next?

Ed

Ed.......Appreciate the compliment. Shunyata has a growing fan base because their products deliver on their claims.

I knew the speaker cables and other Shunyata cables topic would come up. At the level I have been playing one has to be careful that the out-go does not exceed the income.

jdandy 08-13-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 976015)
Another excellent review, Dan! Thank you so much for the work you put into this and for writing it up.

You set the bar for the rest of us! Kudos! :thumbsup:

Stephen.......When components, or in this case cables, perform at such an exceptional level the reviews seem to find their own words. I need someone to deliver my meals and drinks to the studio. I can't seem to move from the sweet spot. The music sounds fresh and new. The Shunyata Sigma s/pdif digital cable is astounding.