AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40143)

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:31 AM

But no built in crossover?

James Tanner - Bryston 09-26-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk (Post 868651)
But no built in crossover?

Hi

No built in crossover - most Subs these days have the crossovers built in.

james

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:44 AM

OK, thanks--Did you see my SP3 thread? Having some issues.

moonhawk 09-26-2017 10:45 AM

Never mind just found your reply.

James Tanner - Bryston 09-30-2017 06:36 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New Bryston BP-17 Preamplifier – Dealer Feedback

October, 2017

“Hi James,

I managed to get our very first BP17cubed set up this afternoon and immediately compared it to our BP26 that had been warmed up for the last week or so.

First impressions are...well, I get it; there is a composure to the new BP17 Cubed that is really fascinating.

The sound is both fast and "pure".

The BP17cubed's image transparency is alarming! I am now so used to HiFi systems presenting a very solid stereo image, that exists outside of the speaker, I almost don't pay attention to it anymore. But the BP17 has a focus and separation between instruments that is positively tube like!

Cool piece!

Thanks,
JD”

For more info - link to Bryston BP-17 Cubed
http://bryston.com/products/pre_amps/BP17-3.html

Stefan_DR3 10-07-2017 12:20 PM

Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 869442)
The sound is both fast and "pure".

The BP17cubed's image transparency is alarming! ... the BP17 has a focus and separation between instruments that is positively tube like!
JD

I agree. The unit also looks very nice (I got black).

My only complaint is there are no vents on the lid. It gets a little warm for a solid-state preamp with relatively small power supply. I suppose they can say the lid is acting as a heat sink.

James Tanner - Bryston 10-07-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 (Post 870599)
I agree. The unit also looks very nice (I got black).

My only complaint is there are no vents on the lid. It gets a little warm for a solid-state preamp with relatively small power supply. I suppose they can say the lid is acting as a heat sink.

Hi Stefan

Yes the lid and front are acting as heatsinks.

This may seem a little counter intuitive but putting holes in the top actually increases the heat rather than dissipating it.

james

clpetersen 10-10-2017 11:29 AM

Headphone Out

Hello James - are there any specs on the head phone output? I assume that once a headphone is detected the volume control switches to headphones?

James Tanner - Bryston 10-10-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 871216)
Hello James - are there any specs on the head phone output? I assume that once a headphone is detected the volume control switches to headphones?

Hi

Yes the outputs to the amplifier are muted and the volume control adjusts the volume to the headphone.

I will have to ask about the specs on the headphone section - I know it runs pure Class A

james

Stefan_DR3 10-11-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 864858)
Great :music: - looking forward to your feedback. I am using one in my Active Model T setup and I really, really like it !!!:banana:

james

James,
I've been testing the unit and it sounds great. I agree about the slightly laid back presentation and effortless dynamics.

The configuration options are all appreciated. I'm using both balanced inputs and will also be using the bypass mode for my streamer.

I will probably use the trigger to power my 7B amps but wish there was a way to keep them warm without draining the full 200W.

Stefan