AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Interesting Stillpoints Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28541)

Masterlu 10-04-2014 09:09 PM

Interesting Stillpoints Review

hifi-advice.com - Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and Ultra Base review - page 1

chessman 10-04-2014 09:40 PM

Interesting review. I agree system synergy is a key factor. It seems to me that the Stillpoints need a sufficient weight load to be effective. That is why an Ultra 5 under a 12 pound component is a waste. It is also why thick springy carpet can affect the result, at least until the carpet is compressed. I wonder when the testers are flipping the samples if they are allowing the ceramic balls to resettle sufficiently.

turntable 10-04-2014 10:38 PM

very good review imo

I have found with my SS Ultras, it depends on what they are under.

Under my cj GAT, EVERYTHING is better - focus, bass, extension and transparency.

With my Pass Labs XP-25 and XP-20, not so convincing. I tried under the XP-25 yesterday. 4 under each chassis. The bass tightened but everything else in the audio spectrum lost realism and upper frequencies lost their sparkle and life.
Removing 4 from the control chassis and back on the stk standard Pass feet immediately brought back life and airyness in the treble - easy to hear.

Later on today,tomorrow I will remove the 4 from the power supply and see if that is better or worse.

jimtranr 10-05-2014 02:48 PM

The difference in floor composition in the two listening environments aside, I wonder if Punter might have achieved better results in his own system had he experimented with the under-chassis location of the Stillpoints, though I realize that that's not as easy to do if he's using three instead of four of whatever Ultra iteration under each component.

I've found in using four Ultra Minis each under my Oppo and c-j Premier 17LS that location, location, location is as important as it is in real estate. The about-as-optimum-as-I-seem-to-be-able-to-achieve Ultra Mini configuration under my 17LS is more akin to an asymmetrical diamond than a straight-on rectangle. Similarly, my BDP-83 seems more at ease with the Minis in a not-so-boringly-predictable-appearing configuration.

I suspect that a given component's internal weight distribution has a--no pun intended--bearing on how much of a performance bump you can squeeze out of the Stillpoints, though I wonder if the "pull" of "audiophile-enlarged" cables on the chassis may also have an impact when the unit is parked atop them.

John49 10-05-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 642286)
The difference in floor composition in the two listening environments aside, I wonder if Punter might have achieved better results in his own system had he experimented with the under-chassis location of the Stillpoints, though I realize that that's not as easy to do if he's using three instead of four of whatever Ultra iteration under each component. I've found in using four Ultra Minis each under my Oppo and c-j Premier 17LS that location, location, location is as important as it is in real estate. The about-as-optimum-as-I-seem-to-be-able-to-achieve Ultra Mini configuration under my 17LS is more akin to an asymmetrical diamond than a straight-on rectangle. Similarly, my BDP-83 seems more at ease with the Minis in a not-so-boringly-predictable-appearing configuration. I suspect that a given component's internal weight distribution has a--no pun intended--bearing on how much of a performance bump you can squeeze out of the Stillpoints, though I wonder if the "pull" of "audiophile-enlarged" cables on the chassis may also have an impact when the unit is parked atop them.

Agree totally with moving the Stillpoints around, underneath the item of equipment. I found photos of the internal layout of my amp and sacd player online and then positioned the Stillpoints under things like transformers, disk trays, power supplies etc. A little fine tuning later, and I am happy with the increase in clarity amongst other things.

Myles B. Astor 10-05-2014 10:23 PM

I think would be informative and interesting to first tune the room with Stillpoint's Aperture panels and then try the Stillpoint's feet under speakers. At least that's the theory I'm working on here.

Masterlu 10-05-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 642353)
I think would be informative and interesting to first tune the room with Stillpoint's Aperture panels and then try the Stillpoint's feet under speakers. At least that's the theory I'm working on here.

Myles... What are your thoughts of Ultra 5's under my Aida's?

tima 10-06-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 642286)
The difference in floor composition in the two listening environments aside, I wonder if Punter might have achieved better results in his own system had he experimented with the under-chassis location of the Stillpoints, though I realize that that's not as easy to do if he's using three instead of four of whatever Ultra iteration under each component.

I've found in using four Ultra Minis each under my Oppo and c-j Premier 17LS that location, location, location is as important as it is in real estate. The about-as-optimum-as-I-seem-to-be-able-to-achieve Ultra Mini configuration under my 17LS is more akin to an asymmetrical diamond than a straight-on rectangle. Similarly, my BDP-83 seems more at ease with the Minis in a not-so-boringly-predictable-appearing configuration.

I suspect that a given component's internal weight distribution has a--no pun intended--bearing on how much of a performance bump you can squeeze out of the Stillpoints, though I wonder if the "pull" of "audiophile-enlarged" cables on the chassis may also have an impact when the unit is parked atop them.

Try positioning under transformers.

Myles B. Astor 10-06-2014 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 642360)
Myles... What are your thoughts of Ultra 5's under my Aida's?

Don't know but certainly worth a shot. I have some here and will try them under the Magicos after finish tuning the room :)

Smp 10-06-2014 05:29 AM

It's a pity the Finite Elemente Cerebases were not included in the exercise...........